cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help identifying necklace and earring set

My wife's mother passed about twenty years ago and we've had a couple boxes of her jewelry since then.  She lived in New York City and then Long Island as a young woman (1940s into the 1970s). and I expect most of her jewelry was purchased during this time period.  This necklace and jewelry set in kind of interesting, but there's no mark or signature on it.  It appears to be sterling silver.  Does anyone have any suggestions on dating or on possible maker?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Help identifying necklace and earring set

Was your mother-in-law Jewish? It looks like it may come from that area.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

No, Catholic.  I've never seen anything like this.  My first thought was Mexico or possibly Native American.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Not a bad guess, though.  She was Catholic but lived in NYC and Long Island for years.  I'm sure there were plenty Jewish silversmiths and jewelers in NYC.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

It looks Turkish or perhaps Mediterranean to me...North African perhaps? Also, during the war costume jewelry was made from sterling silver as other metals were needed for the war effort. Does it have any markings, numbers, etc on any of the pieces?

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I can't find any markings on it.  It's a bit ornate so the markings may be hidden somewhere but there are no markings in the obvious locations.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply