cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Identifying "Interesting" Vintage Plastic Necklace

Hi!  I don't know much about the vintage plastics, but I had to get this because it was different from anything I've seen before. Can anyone help me out with some information, please? 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Help Identifying "Interesting" Vintage Plastic Necklace

0827F8F9-E8AE-4318-B0D8-E6E88E2610BE.jpeg

Reminds me of a celluloid necklace, similar to this one! Maybe others know more. Good luck, it’s lovely  

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Thank you for your response! I was leaning that direction, so now I will focus my research towards celluloid. I appreciate the help!

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Hi,there this Necklace is made from Bakelite. Bakelite Is light Weight and very good for jewelry making.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Hi!

Thank you so much for your help! Have you ever seen bakelite twisted like that before? I have been searching for something similar.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

HI, your necklace is unique design i try my best to get something slimier like this in Jaipur johari bazaar.
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I read up on testing for Bakelite. I tried the 409 test and got no color. Does that mean it’s probably celluloid?

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

IMO, getting no color from the 409 test doesn't mean it's probably celluloid. It means it's probably not bakelite. From photo, celluloid may be a good guess - but there are other ways to test early plastics that can give you more certainty. Celluloid produces a camphor smell when rubbed hard enough. The friction produces heat that releases the smell. Applying hot water and rubbing vigorously is said to produce the same result by the same principle.  I've never tried the hot water method, but I have noticed that celluloid emits the camphor smell when stored in an airtight containers for a few hours.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Thank you so much for your reply! I will try that tonight!

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I'm getting no odors of any kind. Any more ideas?

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Hi, Just thought I would stick my to cents in but only a thought. The plastic is shiny and could be Lucite a necklace from the 60s. I would fill a little container with water and half salt and see if it floats. This would indicate amber which I doubt and if you rub your finger to cause friction and it gives off a burnt odor it is Bakelite but I never saw a Bakelite piece this shiny and again lean towards Lucite.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Thank you for your help! I will try that.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I think it looks art deco and French. Try looking at French phenolic or galalith necklaces. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I will check that out. Thank you!

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Galalith will smell like spoiled milk under warm water. It can take a while for the smell to disappear after testing it as well. It will lose that odor once it dries, however.

"Free" shipping is like "free" kittens. Ain't no such thing.
eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 15 of 15
latest reply