cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know what this is?

I've heard button coil, mans tie pin, hair pin....I would love to know what it is for sure! its not attracted to a magnet and I'm pretty sure the stones are real.1378 coil-1.JPG1378 coil-4.JPG

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

First, the magnet test proves nothing except that there isn't iron/steel in the metal.  But since most metals are not magnetic, it could still be any number of them.

Second,  what makes you believe that the stones are real, i.e. precious or semi-precious? 

Third, the item itself resembles very much a type of hair ornament, which was meant to be 'screwed'  into your hair, singly or in multiples.  They were very fashiionable in the 90s, but they very well might have been based on an earlier model.

Lea
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Hi, thanks for your response.  I purchased this off of an older lady's estate with other items that were dated back to the 40's.  There was a few brooches and hat pins that were not labeled at 14k but they were gold and most everything had  diamonds, opals and rubies.  Most of the fashion jewelry that I buy now is attracted to magnets.  Of course I would not sell it for that until I knew for sure and that part really didn't matter for my question.  Just wondering what it was used for. Thank you!

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Lapel/ tie pin with corkscrew fastener

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I agree, it does resemble hair ornaments of the '90s, I have a couple and the idea is the same, but the ornaments have wider looser coils that I think are thinner and flexible - they won't get lost in a mass of hair like this, earlier IMO, smaller pin might. I say it's a lapel/tie pin coil also. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

It's a Victorian / Edwardian era shirt collar button / stud.  Here's a photo with one used on a woman's collar and another photo with a pair used on a men's shirt.

collar button1.jpg

collar button.jpg

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

collar button2.jpg

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thank you so much.  I have spend a lot of time researching and could not come up with anything for sure.  This is it 🙂  Thanks again!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply