cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any idea of what these stones are?

Here is a necklace and earring set from my grandma's stuff. She passed away in the mid 80s. They are very hard and feel like stone. No markings, but a very cool set. I have no clue how to advertise them. Thanks, Sandy

Sandy
Friends are like stars. You don't always see them, but you know they are always there.
Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Any idea of what these stones are?

Auntunie, Without being able to handle the peices I cannot tell you that these are actual fire opals, but that is where I would look myself if they were mine.
Message 16 of 24
latest reply

aunteunie
Enthusiast
Thank you everyone... I'm keeping them... for now
Message 17 of 24
latest reply

beadhappys
Trailblazer
They are art glass and are a common version of glass opals. Usually they are described as fire opals or black opals, but they are glass. I happen to adore these vintage glass cabs.

"I answer thee thrice and done. Bite. Me." Harry Dresden, The Dresden Files
Message 18 of 24
latest reply

aunteunie
Enthusiast
Thank you so much for the information. My very first guess was that they were some kind of art glass. They are really beautiful. Any idea what they are worth?
Message 19 of 24
latest reply

beadhappys
Trailblazer
It all depends on the appearance of the stone, the way they are set and what they are set in. I can't find my silver book that has some of these, but if I find it, I'll see if I can find some pricing information. Generally less than book value on eBay unless it is an exceptional piece by a named artist. Then the sky's the limit.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

aunteunie
Enthusiast
Thank you. I'm looking forward to your reply. I went online and the only one I found were some cufflinks.
Message 21 of 24
latest reply

beadhappys
Trailblazer
I went through all my books and can't find it. I know at saw them in one of the books. All I can figure is I mis-placed one of the books. Sorry I didn't find it for you.

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

Please don't discount the idea that they may be man made opal. TH
Message 23 of 24
latest reply

beadhappys
Trailblazer
There is no possibility that they are man made opal if you mean synthetic opal - having the same properties as real opal. They are man-made glass imitation opals. Quite distinct and easy to recognize.

Message 24 of 24
latest reply