cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We wanted to remind you that there are important upcoming changes to how you sell goods to German buyers on eBay.

The 2019 Packaging Act (VerpackG) requires business sellers to license the packaging for their products and register with the LUCID database when they sell items to customers in Germany.  

From July 1, 2022, we are legally obliged to ensure that our sellers are complying with these regulations. To be compliant, there are four steps you must complete:   

1. Register online with the LUCID database and obtain a unique identification number. 
  2. Create an account with a dual system. We recommend our licensing partner, Lizenzero, which offers a straightforward way to license your packaging digitally. 
  3. Add your LUCID number to your business profile on My eBay 

What information will I need to register with LUCID?  

You’ll need to provide: 

• Your company name, address, and contact details 
  • Your Tax ID 
  • A declaration that your packaging is licensed with a dual system (Lizenzero registration covers this step.) 

You will then receive your LUCID number. Enter this, along with the amount of packaging you are using when you open an account with a dual system (Lizenzero or another dual system if you prefer).  

What needs to be updated on my eBay account?  

Once you have your LUCID registration number, ensure you add it to your business profile in My eBay. You will see the LUCID Field under the Accounts tab, just after your business address. 

What happens if I don’t register by the July 1 deadline?  

eBay has a legal obligation to ensure that all our B2C sellers are compliant. If you do not take the necessary steps, we may be legally required to restrict your selling privileges for the German market. 

Also, please note that even when using an eBay international shipping program, the licensing and registration for sellers with a business Tax ID need to be compliant as eBay does not repackage any items when they arrive at the domestic hub.

Have more questions?  

Visit the Lizenzero site for additional details, as they are our official licensing partner. 

As always, thanks for selling on eBay,  

Your eBay International Shipping Team