cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello Sellers,

It’s official—we have arrived at the Holiday 2023 shopping season! At the risk of being obvious, for many of you this is probably the most important time of year for you and your sales, so I wanted to share some of the trends we’re seeing and show how we’re driving shoppers to eBay (and you) over a couple of posts. Consider this ‘Part I’. In Part II, I’ll share eBay’s list of 2023’s biggest cultural influences shaping this year’s shopping and gifting. 

Across the US, consumers are expected to open their wallets—though not too wildly or wide. They are being ever-more conscientious and strategic with their spending. They’re searching earlier, they’re digging harder, and they’re budgeting carefully to find that perfect, memorable item. In survey after survey, shoppers are ranking price as a key consideration, with quality also topping lists—a combination to eBay’s advantage. 

Let’s add to this two other trends... First is that more shoppers are launching their holiday journeys on marketplaces, versus in-store or by brand, starting at sites like eBay to gather ideas and formulate lists. Second, they are more receptive than ever to buying, gifting and receiving items that fall outside of the traditional ‘new in box’ bracket: they are shopping pre-loved fashion, vintage handbags, discontinued toys, refurbished electronics, collectible cards, and more—exactly the varied selection that you deliver on eBay. To further demonstrate these trends and how we expect the holidays to unfold, check out some stats from our (4th annual) 2023 eBay Ads Holiday Guide

seller_news_team_0-1700253672494.png

This season, value is valued, and pre-owned is no longer taboo. To capitalize on this shift and deliver you buyers, we’re engaging people where, when and how they’re shopping—highlighting the exceptional variety and value you offer at key moments on each step of their eBay journey. 

To illustrate, we kicked things off in early October to get ahead of the pack. Fast forward and we’re now in the midst of holiday prep, emphasizing home décor and hosting 'self-gifting' like cookware, candles and bedding, as well as 'treat-yourself' fashion and luxury in anticipation of parties and gathering ahead.

seller_news_team_1-1700253671578.png

In just a few days, Cyber 5 will take over with an all-out campaign focused on name-brand items at incredible value. We’ll ultimately round out our holiday marketing with a “Get It In Time” push, directing shoppers to save big on their last-minute gifting. 

Because the holidays are the most competitive time of the year for attention and dollars, we’re differentiating ourselves by reminding consumers what the season is all about: the people and passions that fuel us. Whatever you need to get festive, you can find it on eBay. However hard someone is to shop for, you can find the perfect present on eBay. Whatever your budget, we've got your back. 

Holiday 2023.PNG

We’ll tap into eBay’s reputation as the place for shoppers to find everything—meeting their need for value, for unique items, and even for trends sold out in stores—with a consistent look, feel and experience across the site and throughout peak holiday shopping dates.  

Sellers Like YOU

Now, many of you know my reputation for being a bit of a holiday enthusiast—so much that it’s practically in my job description to wear festive attire at any eBay event between now and New Year. 

Screenshot 2023-11-17 at 1.57.38 PM.png

There are many reasons for my holiday enthusiasm, but probably the most important stems from the energy and partnership that you, our sellers, pour into making eBay the amazing community and platform that it is. This is true all year round, but it becomes even more evident at this time of year as I see so many of you going above and beyond to provide the amazing customer service that converts sales, and brings buyers back to the site during such a critical shopping season.

Before signing off, I want to share a big thanks to all the sellers who we (me, Jordan, Eddie and Xiaodi) interacted with at our “Seller Week” in Austin last week! Year-round and all across the US, your willingness to share feedback and expertise is invaluable to our evolution and growth, and it would be impossible to fully express our appreciation for your partnership, commitment, and inspiration.

There’s more ahead, so I hope you’re all looking forward to a wonderful holiday season. And, as always, thank you for selling on eBay!

Adam Ireland

VP and GM, eBay US