cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Pickup

Screenshot 2023-07-05 100443.jpg

I'm new to Postal Pick-UP like most things there was no word about it.  I had no idea there was one, like being diagnosed for Diabetes you never know until you have it for many years.  So finding it at USPS was a surprise.  That I could go a day without going everyday to mail packages at the Post Office was a major event.  

Screenshot 2023-07-05 100045.jpg

My first Pick-UP day, I left 5 packages outside my door upstairs and the postman had to climb the stairs.  I'm assuming that 4 million eBay Sellers don't utilize Pick-UP by USPS in great numbers.  Wouldn't there need to be a separate Postal Service for this if it was Universal?  I'd pay $20 a Month to USPS if this were the case.  New Trucks and New Workers.

Screenshot 2023-07-05 100244.jpgScreenshot 2023-07-05 095842.jpg

Then a few Pick-Ups later my postman wrote on one of my letters:  "Any outgoing packages that are small enough to fit in your mailbox, please place them in there.  Thanks."

Sadly my post box in this apartment is small, yet I did get 5 packages in the mailbox and try to do so when I don't have over Five.

These are my two 'messages' in the message area I use for the Postman:   

The Packages have been Placed in my Mailbox #11

Thank you.

OR

Placed at my Door Apartment 11, Upstairs, in a Firm Plastic Container.

(TOO MANY TO PLACE IN MAILBOX!)

Screenshot 2023-07-05 100144.jpg

So far I like not going to the Post Office everyday.  It had became such a drudgery.  I thought you would have to hire someone to do this.  It's a load off the mind not having to.   

Here is the USPS Link for the Service: Schedule a Pickup | USPS

Clay Scott Brown
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

USPS Pickup

By union rules, postal workers are not required to hike up the stairs to your apartment.  If you send enough packages out daily, you can request to be a regular business pick-up though.  It can be a real pain in the backside since many postal workers simply don't want to do their jobs so you will have to stay on them and file complaints when they do not pick up for you.  

When I have packages too big for my mailbox or outgoing bins in my building, I tape a note across the mailbox letting the worker know that I have packages and they can simply use the call button and I will bring them down or they can ride the elevator up and grab them.  It took a lot of work to make this happen between myself and the third party vendor I ship most of my parcels through which is Sendle.  

That brings me to a couple of other pointers.....

Don't buy your shipping directly through USPS because you are paying WAY too much.  A great free third party service is Sendle, and you if you qualify for Sendle Pro you will get the best discounts, but either way you can get that service for at least your first 30 days and then ask them to extend it for you afterward so you get their best pricing.  

With Sendle, you can print out your USPS manifest from their site and wrap it around your parcels which makes it much easier for your postal worker.  They also offer other regional services through other carriers and they will come to your home and pick up your items.

While we are talking about saving money - you can get more shipping options with tracking via LetterTrackPro.  This service works much like eBay Standard Envelope, but with far fewer restrictions on selling.  You will just print out an intelligent barcode and then attach regular postage.  Regular postage can be purchased online from modern collections that go up for auction which means you can buy your stamps below face value.  One of the best places on eBay to find bulk postage is through the seller noblespirit which has been selling stamps since eBay started out.  You can likely get $150-$200 face value of stamps for $125-160 or so.  

Hope this helps you out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

USPS Pickup

Yesterday I had to cart myself down to the Post Office because the 'Mailman' didn't walk up my stairs to get the packages.  He got used to not doing so, in this first month of "PickUp", after writing on a piece of my mail, a personal message, to put them in the Mailbox.  Yesterday I could not as there were too many packages to do so.  

So I've been carrying on a conversation with USPS Help since yesterday with this latest.  To make sure that he or someone comes tomorrow, Monday, to pickup, since I again have too many packages to fit in the slot, as it were. 

No response yet, from USPS Help since Saturday.  

I do believe that if 4 million eBay Sellers began to utilize USPS Pickup that we would need a new Service in USPS to Pickup packages.  The Carrier Daily, would be inundated.  He/She cannot do both. 

The Post Office needs about 10 Billion.  We may have to await the Actual President of this Nation. 

blackssilvershop_0-1689515278505.png

Clay Scott Brown
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

USPS Pickup

By union rules, postal workers are not required to hike up the stairs to your apartment.  If you send enough packages out daily, you can request to be a regular business pick-up though.  It can be a real pain in the backside since many postal workers simply don't want to do their jobs so you will have to stay on them and file complaints when they do not pick up for you.  

When I have packages too big for my mailbox or outgoing bins in my building, I tape a note across the mailbox letting the worker know that I have packages and they can simply use the call button and I will bring them down or they can ride the elevator up and grab them.  It took a lot of work to make this happen between myself and the third party vendor I ship most of my parcels through which is Sendle.  

That brings me to a couple of other pointers.....

Don't buy your shipping directly through USPS because you are paying WAY too much.  A great free third party service is Sendle, and you if you qualify for Sendle Pro you will get the best discounts, but either way you can get that service for at least your first 30 days and then ask them to extend it for you afterward so you get their best pricing.  

With Sendle, you can print out your USPS manifest from their site and wrap it around your parcels which makes it much easier for your postal worker.  They also offer other regional services through other carriers and they will come to your home and pick up your items.

While we are talking about saving money - you can get more shipping options with tracking via LetterTrackPro.  This service works much like eBay Standard Envelope, but with far fewer restrictions on selling.  You will just print out an intelligent barcode and then attach regular postage.  Regular postage can be purchased online from modern collections that go up for auction which means you can buy your stamps below face value.  One of the best places on eBay to find bulk postage is through the seller noblespirit which has been selling stamps since eBay started out.  You can likely get $150-$200 face value of stamps for $125-160 or so.  

Hope this helps you out.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

USPS Pickup

Thank you for your Reply

many postal workers simply don't want to do their jobs so you will have to stay on them and file complaints when they do not pick up for you.

Yes, I did this about 4 times.  The Postal Worker can't be 'blamed' for Not Doing The Job, IMO.  It's too hard for them to do.  I realized that the PO cannot succeed at Mail Pickup for 4 million eBay Sellers.  They would need a new Fleet of Trucks and New Postal Delivery just for that alone.  Which would be nice with nice new Electric Trucks like FedEx has.  Too bad America doesn't have enough Money!  I don't think it's a Can Do nation, anymore, do you?

At any rate after no response from Executives at the Post Office, during the last failure of Mail Pickup at the PO, I realized that I had to go back to walking my packages about 5 minutes down the street!  That was the only way to restore Peace Of Mind.  Which is Mandatory for an eBay Seller!  I can't chance the PO not taking my Packages.  The Client paid a Lot Of Money for what I sell.  I need 100% success rate, like eBay likes. 

Maybe in a few years things might improve with pick-up.  Until then It's best to Hoof it.

You get Best Answer. 

Clay Scott Brown
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

USPS Pickup

I have also had to continue to evolve due to their service.  I filed a complaint last night because I found that the sun handling my route while my worker is on baby leave has not been taking the outgoing mail at all.  The mail has only gone out on the two days he has off which gave me my explanation about why some packages had not been scanned.

This is a very frustrating situation to be in, but it does help if you partner up with a third party vendor that has a direct representative with USPS that will advocate for you.  Sendle has run interference on many issues I have had and that makes a world of difference.  

Best of luck to you!

Message 5 of 5
latest reply