cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do ACEO's mean to you?

The idea: tell us what ACEO's mean to you in a brief statement (up to 200 words) and you will be entered into a random drawing for a prize! The reason: to celebrate ACEO's, share in our creative endeavors, and encourage “old” members to come back for a visit. The timeframe: Leave your comments anytime between now and July 21st at midnight. Drawing will be performed by the members of the contest committee on the 22nd and the winner will be announced soon afterwards. The prize: a mini-collection of ACEO’s from ACEO group moderators, including our one-and-only leader, bone*diva (Lisa Luree), who will also contribute one of her books. So what do ACEO’s mean to YOU? Do tell us! Isa
Isa
Message 1 of 156
latest reply
155 REPLIES 155

What do ACEO's mean to you? Tell us and WIN!

ACEOs are very popular! As an ACEO artist I can reach a lot of people who enjoy and collect art. The small size means I can complete a painting a lot quicker and get more of them done! The lower starting bid makes them more affordable for people who don't have the money to spend on larger works. I have enjoyed the friendships that have developed since I have gotten into painting ACEOs!
Message 16 of 156
latest reply

jeanze*art
Enthusiast
I'm not entering either... I just want to share! I had been away from creating visual art for over two decades when I stumbled upon ACEOs on eBay. I was charmed! I spent HOURS and drank much coffee while viewing the auctions, admiring the incredible art. Then I found the groups. And then I began collecting. As the wee treasures arrived, I realized that even without studio space and even with serious time limitations, maybe... just maybe... ACEOs were a way for me to begin expressing myself through art again. Two years later... here I am! ACEOs require little space and can be completed in a reasonable amount of time, which is key for me. I've been smitten by my early forays into mixed media collage art. And most of all I've tapped into a source for finding kindred spirits and making new friends here at the ACEO groups. I am so looking forward to making a special ACEO winner of this contest! :D Jeanne
Jeanne
Y
http://jeanze.blogspot.com/
Message 17 of 156
latest reply

Unlike many of you I have not yet tried to sell any of my own ACEO creations. Eventually... But even if I never sell any, "discovering" these wonderful little pieces of creativity from so many different artists has been a collecting pleasure greater than any other I've known. Of course, as others have already said, they are quite reasonable to purchase. I've collected many more pieces from more artists than I could have ever afforded were I collecting "normal" sized pieces. I've been able to purchase styles I wouldn't have collected were it not for their affordability. I've experienced more art, artist's and the personality they put into packaging their art than I would have been able to do. And I've been touched by artist's throughout the world. ACEOs have enriched my life. Thank you so much.
Message 18 of 156
latest reply

shadfan66
Enthusiast
ACEO's for me are a way of sharing art with others (and making a little cash for more materials, etc). I have always been drawn to small format sketches often doing a series of several before selecting a colour scheme/composition for larger works. I have not only sold many on ebay but have also started a collection of paintings from other artists. It's fun, it's inexpensive and it is growing me as an artist. I came across ACEO's (by accident on ebay) and have not looked back. As I read above, I have also been introduced to many different media and hope to keep on learning.
"art for arts sake"
Message 19 of 156
latest reply

e_tourist
Enthusiast
ACEO's helped me to discover that working smaller is not for me. Whilst I was able to work in a medium I hadn't used in a while the smaller format cramped my ability to make expressive marks in a loose, casual and fun way. I do admire the art that appears on ACEOs created by other artists however the format just isn't for me. - TET
Message 20 of 156
latest reply

frommetou4
Enthusiast
ACEO's means to ME. Many of things for you to see Artist all over the galaxy Loves to see Art from U and ME. ACEO's are great and FUN Collectors buy them from everyone. Sharing, Selling and Buying too. I can't help myself I have so much to do. ACEO's is a Heaven sent for ME as an Artist. That I can now Say out loud. To be able to share with other artists and collectors worldwide my own gifts and talents. It is wonderful to sell and collect these little treasures that most can afford and display without limitations. ACEO's has transformed my life into much PEACE because that is the state I'm in when I create them.
Message 21 of 156
latest reply

photosbyrose4u
Enthusiast
ACEO has done many things for me. It has allowed me to meet and socialize with very talented artists,expand my knowledge of art, share my photography with others in a smaller format than most everyone else. But most important of all is that ACEO of my photos have sold,some people have bought more than one, and it has restored my faith in MYSELF that I can be a productive person. I have been disabled with RA for many years and had to begun to feel rather useless- ACEO and the people I have met because of them has changed my entire outlook on life!
Rose
Message 22 of 156
latest reply

amylyn_bihrle_1
Enthusiast
ACEO's are another avenue for art collectors that have already used up all their wall space and storage and their convenience and affordability have made it possible for new collectors. They are a very simple, yet creative way to have a wide variety of beautiful art work right at your finger tips. ACEO's can take you into a different world with every flip of the page (if kept in photo type album) and you can do this while sitting back in your favorite chair. They are also excellent gift ideas that can be displayed in numerous ways.
Message 23 of 156
latest reply

ACEO's mean big things to me. My first reaction to an ACEO was "Oh, why would that artist paint anything so small? " Then, I wondered--"Hmm, what would happen if I paint a picture no bigger than a playing card?" I found out it was fun! I also found out that it was absolutely addictive! (Not that I wasn't warned-- I had also discovered the great people of Ebay ACEO groups.) A whole world opened up! Look at all the great art people were doing! GabyCat's cat and pumpkin on black paper, in rich colored pencil. Mick's unique gray-scale gouache portraits and hilarious mounties. Jillian's portraits of cowboys with wrinkles, suntan skin and denim. Glowing still lifes by Lori, videos by Debcoart, and Bone Diva's quirky "Bone Maids". So many many great artists! Each painting no bigger than a playing card. Each painting bigger than the universe I had previously inhabited. I started to paint many ACEO's. My paintings improved. My mood improved. What do ACEO's mean to me? The opportunity to plant new seeds in my artistic vision and see what comes up. "Mighty oaks from little acorns grow."
Message 24 of 156
latest reply

hastychatter
Enthusiast
Wow....didn't think this would be a tough question until I had to put it in words! Having only discovered ACEO's early this year, I am completely and thoroughly enamoured. Why? Fantasy and whimsical art is so appealing to me, however, in a large format, this style of art would never fit in the decor of my home. ACEO's fill the bill!!!! I can display an assortment of incredible art, in various expressions, and have a charming display without overpowering the viewer or the room. Of course, it goes beyond decor. This is a way for me to support artists....real people! I like that. :-) Though my collection is small, I have found the quality of this art mind blowing. Probably more so because of the size limitation. So, I hope you don't mind but I had to share a photo of one of my ACEO displays. The moment it is spotted by guests ... they are heading over to see this art more closely. I can assure you, many times the 'frame' is lifted to catch the artists name underneath! lol!
Message 25 of 156
latest reply

vibrantjewels
Enthusiast
So far I haven't put any of my creations up for auction, but creating ACEO's has given me a relatively quick way to express myself on a smaller scale, a vent for my creativity, a catharsis for my angst, and a boost to my self esteem. To be able to trade for other marvelous small treasures is a plus. And I hope to be able to also go public and make some dinero as well! Karleen/VibrantJewels
Message 26 of 156
latest reply

jeanze*art
Enthusiast
WOW! I love that display!!! I want to use that image when I work on a ACEO BEST ANSWERS about how to display ACEO's. And what's REALLY cool is I see a familiar little painting in the lower left... 😄
Jeanne
Y
http://jeanze.blogspot.com/
Message 27 of 156
latest reply

fairywebmother
Enthusiast
hastychatter, that is a very cool display! I have been an eclectic artist, for many years, who never seemed to have enough space. Projects were started, only to be put away in a box, until I had more room to work. Almost two years ago, now, I moved into a building that my daughter bought and suddenly had tons of space to do all the things I love to do. The odd thing was, after years of suppressing my creative energy, only journaling about all the things I "planned" to do, I found myself out of practice. My physical ability to make art was diminished by lack of practice. The discovery of ACEOs was the fuel I needed to "prime the pump", as it were. After that, I could repeat all the feelings people have expressed before me, in this thread. Experimentation in this medium threatens neither my belief in my skills, nor my pocketbook. Since it is any medium, I have been led back to all of my other creative pursuits and explored many new ones. It's a new world, for me, because of them. Sorry I've been away, so long. I got distracted by hand-made books (and family reunions). My first one can hold (what else?) ACEOs. Bettina http://fairywebmother.blogspot.com/ (if you want to see the book)
Bettina Makley, aka Fairywebmother
The search engines know my name.
Message 28 of 156
latest reply

Welcome back, Bettina and Ocean Mike! Returning members, please take a moment to re-introduce yourself here and tell us what you have been up to! I LOVE hearing everyone's perspective on ACEO's, be it from artists, collectors, artists who also collect, collectors who also create, artists and "non-artists" (but is there such a thing?) who contemplate making or listing ACEO's... Pictures are great too! Keep them coming! Isa
Isa
Message 29 of 156
latest reply

tiffanyjane1971
Enthusiast
ACEO's to me is collecting/making little wonderful pieces of ArT for friends all over the world. It can be challenging to fit tiny art on that little card, but thats what makes it fun. I love the detail of tiny art and setting them out in my cabinets that are all lit with clear lights, it's like walking through a fun shoppe & enjoying wonderful eye~candy.
Message 30 of 156
latest reply