cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT CAMERAS OR SCANNERS DO YOU USE

Hi, May I ask what cameras/scanners everyone uses. I bought a digital camera about 6 months ago ( for $400 US at Circuit City ), just for eBay and it's definitely not good enough for artwork ( Canon Power Shot A60 2 MP ). I know now that I should have a 3,5 MP or over. It takes awesome pictures of ceramics and vintage jewelry, but the art is slightly out of focus and the turquoise, and some purples are way off. I use the Canon ZoomBrower Editor and that helps, but I'm looking for a new camera ( on eBay ). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Ann
Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: WHAT CAMERAS OR SCANNERS DO YOU USE

Hi All!  Hi Art Bird! Do you use a flash when taking pics?  My seem to get washed out when I do.  And If I don't use the flash, then it's too dark.  My camera is a Nikon D200, it takes great pics, especially when I'm outside.  Maybe it's the lighting in the house, that's the problem.  Anyway,  I recently bought a HPLaser Jet Pro 200, scanner/printer, recommended by my son.   It scans up to 1200 dpi, which is nice, but my problem is,  my colors are not true.  Don't know if it's something that can be adjusted on the scanner, or if it's the scanner.  I had prints done for the first time, (Giclee Somerset ), & when I received them, the colors were so far off, a total loss. the red tones looked "peachy", & so on.  I was told I need to get photoshop to adjust colors, but not looking forward to spending a fortune, but will eventually, when I can afford it.   Also, was never aware of what I'm actually seeing on my computer monitor, would be so far off.  So I'm also looking at another expense, told to buy a program  for calibrating monitors.  Didn't think my MacBook Pro, could be that far off.  I'm "computer illiterate", & pretty much know basics. on computers, scanners, etc.   I'm at my wits end, on what to do. As I mentioned,  I do have a Nikon D200, & takes wonderful pics!  I never leave home without it, but when I take pics in doors, & use the flash,  washes out color.  And if I take pics of my art, without using the flash then it's too dark..  Don't know if it's settings on my camera.  Would love any suggestions, on what to do, or if there are some type of settings I need to change on either camera, or scanner??  Help!  Any help is much appreciated!

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

I have been using the Epson nx625 printer/scanner and it scans beautifully and the colors are true when I print out on bright white 110 lb card stock.  Epson is the only one as far as I know that makes archival pigment inks that are guaranteed 80 yrs+ from fading.  They are not expensive either.

Sherry, as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

I never use a flash 

well recently I have been using a flash outside at night for photos of flowers

My new fave camera is a tiny fuji waterproof/shockproof/dustproof/freezeproof/heatproof

works amazingly well in art galleries, which like museums are now permitting photography!

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

the fuji roves on automatic and auto corrects lighting and when i do want a mode change it can happen super fast non of that confirm the change cwap

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Giclees are a big boo-boo in my opinion

so often the seller is using the original image to promote the selling of the copy

therefore the resolution of the giclee is no where near the resolution of the gallery pic-- mind you the gallery pic is as much a copy as is the giclee!

-- Edited by art*bird at 05/17/2013 1:14 PM PDT
Message 20 of 20
latest reply