cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm back..sort of. This ever happen to you?

Wow, it sure has been a long time. I've lurked here off and on, but don't know many people, and most of you don't know me. I hope I'm not committing a big "boo-boo" by starting a new thread, but really need some input here. I'm finally painting again, 29 months after Katrina reared her ugly head. I was inspired to paint some Christmas cards for my family members. They were so supportive that I've done a few other things, including 4 ACEOs. The funny thing is, this work doesn't look anything like what I used to do....and I'm not sure I even like it very much. What I really want to do is go back to painting the way I did before; not that it was anything great, but I just identified with my art, sort of on an emotional level. I was just wondering if this kind of thing has happened to any of you, and if it has, how did you handle it? Thanks! Jessie
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Jessie, I think your artwork is a direct expression of who you are, and that it changes as you do. You have apparently been through a lot, and I am sure there are some changes inside of you on a personal level. I would say, let the art come naturally. If you try to be one way, or do something against the nature of it, it will often become a task, and not a pleasure. Try to embrace this new art flowing out of you, and maybe it will continue to develop and grow into something you really love. I'd love to see your ACEOs, and hope you post them here. Post a few examples of your "old" work if you have any to show. I think it would be interesting to have a look at both :) -- Thanks so much for looking! ~ Linda ~ Click here to see my current listings 🙂
Linda
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Jessie, I agree with Linda when she said, Try to embrace this new art flowing out of you, and maybe it will continue to develop and grow into something you really love. The more that you do the more your art will grow. You may experiment as you go and find yourself right where you had left off!! You know?? Welcome back to the group---we hope you share your work with us. I can't tell you how inspired I get from seeing what you guys are up to!! -- JDanni
House of Johnson Gifts
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Thanks, Linda and Danni! I never really thought of it that way. I really am grateful that something inside me is telling me to create again. That voice was completely silent for so long, that I had begun to think art was part of my past. I am in the process of listing the cards that I have completed. I'll try to post a link when I get them done. I was a member of ebsq back when I was painting before, and I still have a portfolio there. Is it ok to paste a link to it here?
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

These are the new ones...

And these are a few that I did a couple of years ago...

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Jessie, ALL of your artwork is beautiful, but if I may say, your new ones speak of life and energy to me! The previous ones seem more moody and still. A new beginning maybe? Refreshed? I love them! -- Thanks so much for looking! ~ Linda ~ Click here to see my current listings 🙂
Linda
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Thank you, Linda! You really made me go back and look at these from a different perspective! By the way, I really like what you've done with the wood-burning tool on paper. Very clever and unique! -- View My Auctions Here
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

dollbabedesigns
Enthusiast
Jesse, I know exactly what you mean about life changing your art. I've gone through many changes, along the ups and downs of life. Many times I have tried to remember some technique I use to do, only to not to be able to remember all of it, only parts. Very frustrating. I agree about your art. It is much more lively now. It is all beaustiful, but I can see how it reflects your optimism for life. I too had joined a long time ago, but am just now focusing on aceos. Welcome back to you! Lynda -- http://dollbabedesigns.blogspot.com Ebay Listings: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdollbabedesigns
http://dollbabedesigns.blogspot.com
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Jessie, I agree. Your work looks so refreshed, a new appreciation of life and all that it has to offer. I too went through several life changing moments in life, as I'm sure we all have. The most life changing was a T4 tornado that hit my home directly. My daughter and I were inside and somehow survived as the entire house and cement foundation moved and was dismantled. Everything was gone, but that was okay. As you know, something like that does make you realize how important life is. It seems as though every day is special and you can appreciate every little thing. Our art reflects that passion for life and rediscovered joy. Keep painting, your art reflects your emotional changes and it is beautiful!
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Oh my goodness!! How terrifying that must have been for you!! Thank goodness you are both ok. Bad weather spooks me a little now, and tornadoes are the worst! They just pop up so suddenly. I appreciate so much the encouragement from all of you. I really had not thought of the differences in my art in a positive way at all, until I posted this message. -- View My Auctions Here
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Linda... I agree with everyone else... your art will change as you grow and change... each new life experience will add something to your work... and the new work is definitely more "alive" than the old work. The old work was nice... but the new work has so much more energy... so just keep it up... and see where it takes you! :-D -- ~Wendy My eBay Store: Wendy's Whimseys

~ Wendy

Visit my ME page to see my current listings, or...

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

robertsloan2art
Enthusiast
I can see the biggest difference technically is that you're using outlines more in your new art and before you were blending and creating a lot of soft gradients. If you want to paint the way you did before, it'll come back to you when you're ready. What may happen eventually is a fusion of old techniques and new. I know that I've left behind some types of subjects for a long time because of various life events around them. It comes back though, skills don't truly leave you. Your newer art is very cheery and feminine, you've got a lightness and sense of humor in it that's going to make it very popular. Follow that as far as it takes you, and then maybe when you feel like doing landscapes again or realism -- choose new subjects, don't try to recreate the old ones so much as apply those skills and mediums to something different. I never would've expected myself to suddenly turn into a raptor nut, but I'm turning into a raptor nut when it comes to drawing as much as I love cats and learned to draw them. I've hardly done any cats but keep doing hawks and eagles and falcons. So what comes from within is what's true and real, live in today and let the past be what it is -- you won't forget how, and if it ever reemerges that style too will be stronger. -- robertsloan2art -- original ACEO, OSWOA and larger artwork. A big part of life is recognizing that creativity is human. It's not limited to a special Talented few gifted and cursed by the gods to become high-paid superstars
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Wow!! I have to say that I agree with the observations of your artwork... I love the new stuff! So FUN ~ and a bit more whimsical. I'm definitely not knocking your older works, but you can tell that there is a difference. Embrace it Guurrrll! I think that they speak volumes of the person you have become! ((hugs)) -- JDanni
House of Johnson Gifts
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Hi Jessie! Nice to meet you! I also find your new work to be very alive and it just glows! You older work was also very colorful...but i see a brilliance and cheerfulness in the new art. Your older pieces are more dramatic; however, i tend to like all of the artwork. You're very talented. Our life experiences do tend to change our artwork. I used to paint a lot of dramatic and alien scenes, and what i called hallucinations before i had an auto accident...these days i paint the things i like or which make me feel happy. We all experience many phases of life, even if we havent' had a traumatic experience -- from falling in love to the empty nest syndrome... and we have different feelings during these phases, too. Keep up the good work! I find your new work delightful! ~~carolynn
my blog http://carolynnmcdade.blogspot.com/
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Jessie, hi! I like all of your stuff. I would have to ditto the others' comments though. The newer ones are brighter. Did you stay in NOLA? I used to live there, and ironically my middle son moved down there last week. I haven't been back since Katrina though. I do stay in touch with a friend there, so I can keep up with stuff. Glad to see you here. Happy arting! ((hugs)) -- Kelly :-x

•:*¨¨*:•.~Kelly~.•:*¨¨*:•.

http://www.kellyscolorstudio.com
Message 15 of 16
latest reply