cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

maddog1273
Adventurer
I just sold a few items and noticed eBay took 12% of my total....Plus PayPal (Who is owned by eBay) took another 3%......
This is ridiculous!!!!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Is there any way to get these fees lowered for future listings. Like starting a store OR am I doing something wrong????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
Message 1 of 438
latest reply
437 REPLIES 437

eBay cheerleaders always forget that FVFs used to be just 2% and when confronted can never come up with a valid justification for it. Oh, eBay needs more money because reasons. Great, I'm sure you'll appreciate an 8% tax hike too. Afterall, government needs more money because reasons too.

Message 316 of 438
latest reply

@rktoyandhobby wrote:

eBay cheerleaders always forget that FVFs used to be just 2% and when confronted can never come up with a valid justification for it. Oh, eBay needs more money because reasons. Great, I'm sure you'll appreciate an 8% tax hike too. Afterall, government needs more money because reasons too.

RollingEyesSmiley5.gifrktoy, and gas was $1.26 a gallon, 33­¢ for a stamp and eggs at 89¢ a dozen in 2000 ~ so I will gather up my pom poms and climb down from the turnip truck wink emo.gif and ask you why you continue to sell on eBay if you are so unhappy with the fees?  

FVFs may have been less, but there were many other things that a seller had to pay for.  You may find this archived thread of interest:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Selling/anyone-know-the-history-of-Final-Value-fees/td-p/235230...

I am just totally befuddled by posters that label some posters "cheerleaders" and "eBay employees" because they figure out how to use eBay to benefit their sales rather than fight it tooth and nail ~ and, btw, I don't pay any fees to eBay ~ my buyers do....and if some sellers can't figure out how to do that then they are paying too much for their widgets.  Am I happy with all that eBay does?  absolutely not, but I find that I get the most bang for my buck selling on eBay so I have learned how to make it work.

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 317 of 438
latest reply

Yes if eBay had been incorporated in the 17th Century, they'd be the moneylender in 'Merchant of Venice. Shame on both your houses eBay & PayPal.
Message 318 of 438
latest reply

hidyhoo, fixed prices are different from percentages. I don't know why so many people get tripped up by that.

Take $1 and 1%. Increase each by 1 99 times. Unless you're incredibly poor, the one on the right will be far more than the one on the left.
Message 319 of 438
latest reply

All us sellers need to form together and force ebay to stop these rediculously high fees as well as Paypal !   I am looking for other places to sell my goods.  

Message 320 of 438
latest reply

I'm leaving as soon as I'm done clearing out some dead inventory. Fees are out of control, shipping fees are ridiculous. I sell item at going price of $300, cost is $250, final value $18, paypal $10, shipping w/ insurance and signature $18 --profit $4. This is on top paying Ebay store fees.

Message 321 of 438
latest reply

They should stop charging shipping fee's we are charging $10 or under.  A lot of my auctions I put exact fee's but yet now I'm paying money to ship an item.  It's insane. 

Message 322 of 438
latest reply

Yea I think I'm done selling on eBay there fees are just outrageous they lost a seller this year.... Instagram and Facebook is the way to go now
Message 323 of 438
latest reply

Not only are the fees outrageous but their seller protection is a flat out lie. I have been selling on ebay for years and am appalled at how little ebay cares about or protects sellers. Not to mention the profiteering on fees.  Back to craigslist for free!

Message 324 of 438
latest reply

waving smiley.gif

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 325 of 438
latest reply

hidy-hoo wrote:

waving smiley.gif

I consider the fees my over head. If you've been self employed you know you will have some sort of over head. Do you know how many times a day we listen to these types of complaints? One poster mentioned shipping with sig. @ $ 18. Your listings have free shipping. You have to be factoring that in..right? Another said 'ebay has one less seller' and so I join hidyhoo in saying buh-bye because no one really cares.  That isn't meant to be mean. If you want to make a difference re strategize. Learn how to sell & what to sell. Stay & make some money. We'd love to hear a success story!

Message 326 of 438
latest reply

it is rediculously expensive. about 10% of the selling price + paypal fee as well.

i am looking else where as well for selling.

Message 327 of 438
latest reply

Thank goodness I am bailing out of Ebay before I get myself in to deep.So far I have only been drop shipping.I get 50 free listings and I think I get to post 10 pictures for free.I thought this Drop Shipping would be the way to go with Amazon.Does anybody know if there are other sites that allow you to Drop Ship from Amazon.I love Drop Shipping I offer free shiping as an option.Now Ebay would be alright if I didn't think I would incur too high of out of pocket cost.I thought about how much it would cost me to relist that Ipad I just sold for $230.00.Now Ipads seem to be the going thing.At first I said I am going to have this ipad relisted because its a money maker.Ebay should just say when it comes to the fees that they don't make money until the seller makes money.

Message 328 of 438
latest reply

Too expensive, too many rules, seller are unprotected
Message 329 of 438
latest reply

Incredibly expensive to sell on eBay. They provide a lot o
Message 330 of 438
latest reply