cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you all use for packaging tape?

Just curious, but I've noticed that the nicer, heavy-duty packing tape seems to have gone up a bunch.  For most of my small items I just use the cheap stuff from Duck, but I used to be able to buy 3M tape in bulk for about what the cheap stuff costs these days.  Is there ANYwhere that you can get 100 yard (or 109 yard, or whatever the standard is now) length, in heavy duty tape for around $2.50 a roll without having to buy 100 rolls at a time?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
I haven’t had to buy an lately. I bought 24 big rolls years ago and I still have some left. I’m guessing I got them from threeb here on eBay. Don’t know if they are still around or not.

Do you mean Threerb?  I've bought from them before, I'll have a look.  I'm not out of the thin stuff, I'm just not a big fan of it. 

I'm guessing my cheap tape is not going to show up.  The seller has been NARU'd now, and the listing pulled, but I do have a tracking number that was posted.  It's been almost 5 days and it has not been scanned in anywhere yet, though.  Hard to tell if I should worry or not, sometimes china shipping is slow to move at first, even when it's an EMS Express Epacket.  Since the seller posted a tracking number before being NARU'd, I have no way to ask for a refund or to cancel at this point.  I guess after a certain amount of time I can get a refund for it not showing up.... Eh, this seller had a pretty good amount of good feedback along with a higher percentage of bad feedback than I would normally trust, but it was cheap, and I figured worth a chance.  He had enough good feedback to keep me from being too distrustful.  I guess it's a waiting game now.

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

Yeah that’s who I was talking about.
I thought theirs was the thick ones?
It’s been to long.
If they are Naru’d, you can open a case if you want to now I thought. If it’s cheap as you say, I would just wait and file after the to be received date. I don’t buy from China on purpose.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 17 of 29
latest reply

I buy Duck Brand Easy start tape at Walmart.  But eight rolls is over $ 18.  But I put up with it because I never have problems with it.

I never problems now that I have a desktop packing tape dispenser.  I'm sorry I didn't buy that earlier.

So much jammed tape, tape gun falling on my toes... This way is so much easier.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 18 of 29
latest reply

My shipping station is also my instrument repair workbench, so I don't have space for a desktop dispenser. However, if I ever succeed in selling my recording equipment, I intend to build a second bench on the opposite wall to use solely as a shipping/packing station. And during busy times, I could have two instruments benched at the same time. Certain instruments require you heat the keys in order to change pads... but you have to wait for them to cool down enough to handle before you reinstall the keys. I could have two repads going at once that I could just go back and forth between if I had a second bench. That would be better use of my time than just standing around waiting for keys to cool off.
Message 19 of 29
latest reply

Good luck on selling your recording equipment and getting the extra station set up. Everything takes time.

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
Good luck on selling your recording equipment and getting the extra station set up. Everything takes time.

The problem is that most recording tech has changed to people recording on computers instead of with hardware.  I have a large Soundcraft recording/mixing console built in a desk and a 4 foot tall rack full of outboard equipment.  My recorder IS new enough that it records on hard disk instead of  tape, but even that is considered a dinosaur by modern standards.  Sadly, almost no one wants the kind of stuff I have, and it's so expensive to ship a mixing console that it makes it nearly impossible to sell one this large. 

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

It only takes one person to want it. I had a person drive from TX to OH for magazines.
The love of older equipment has died for everyone. I’m sure bands and celebrities shop on eBay etc... believe it or not. Good luck

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

I wish I sold enough to worry about the cost of tape! grinning

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

I would be interested in a decent quality fair priced recommendation as well.  I bought some in bulk a while ago and don't think I will ever be rid of it.  It was cheap and I got what I paid for.  Smells horrendous so I cannot use it to seal bubble or secure anything inside the box.  My customer might misinterpret the smell and think it is the item that stinks.  It's so thin, it often tears coming out of the roller and doesn't stick down the sides of the box all that well either.   Live and learn.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

If you sell inexpensive items, and most of my sales are items between 10 and 15 dollars, then you have to think LONG game if you want to actually make anything on eBay. I'm always looking for a deal to buy in bulk. I buy mailers 500 at a time and keep them in Rubbermaid tubs for storage. I pay a nickel or so for them if I buy them this way. If I go to Walmart and buy them, I spend 60 cents each or more. That's free money if I buy them in bulk, a case of 500 puts 250 dollars in my pocket over the course of a couple of years. Might not seem like very much at a time, but it all adds up over the course of a year. Most of my regular instrument parts I manufacture will fit in these small mailers.

I buy labels from House Labels and I buy at least 4 rolls at a time, I have the Brother QL700 label printer. I have a postal scale. This combo has paid for itself MANY times over, as I don't have to guess on shipping, I can package an item and weight it and put it's ACTUAL shipping weight in my listing. Plus, this way I get the discount for using eBay shipping. Again, it doesn't sound like a lot, but I often save close to a dollar on shipping by using eBay shipping, that's free money just for using that method, and it's how I make money on inexpensive items. If you plan on being here long-term, you might as well plan for supplies long-term and get the savings from it.
Message 25 of 29
latest reply

I sell mostly small stuff but I am branching out so I will be needing more diverse supplies. I buy my envelopes in bulk from ecoswift and have never had a problem. They do sell tape but I have no idea of the quality. I don't sell enough to justify a label printer as yet so all I ever use tape for is to tape the printed label onto the envelopes. I recycle tissue paper and packing paper from online orders that I have bought. I even save the tissue paper that they stick in the toes of new shoes and recycle that! When my son was young, he asked me what frugal meant. After I defined it for him, he said " Sounds like you mom".

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

@demarl2 wrote:

I don't sell enough to justify a label printer as yet so all I ever use tape for is to tape the printed label onto the envelopes.

I use the Brother QL700, which can be bought for 50 dollars new.  It will pay for itself in tape that you don't use, since the price of decent packaging tape keeps going up.  It also prints smaller labels, I use continuous paper that's 2.1 inches wide, and print 7 inch long postage labels with it, which will fit all my mailers.  That said, the postage printer won't save as much as your investment in a postage scale will, for sure.  Nor will it save as much as buying mailers in bulk, whether you buy boxes or padded mailers or whatever.  The more you can buy at once, the more you'll save.  The long game is the frame of mind you have to have here.  A lot of what you make on lesser expensive items is just in what you save on supplies by buying in bulk.

I save about $1.60 on all the small items I sell just in buying my postage through eBay/Paypal, and in the 55 cents I save on each mailer by buying them in bulk.  That's free money, just for thinking ahead.

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

I do have a postal scale, it was one of the first "big" investments I made when I started selling here. I always purchase my labels through ebay. When and if I start selling more, I will definitely invest in a label printer. What is the cost of the ink compared to a traditional printer? 

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

@demarl2 wrote:

I do have a postal scale, it was one of the first "big" investments I made when I started selling here. I always purchase my labels through ebay. When and if I start selling more, I will definitely invest in a label printer. What is the cost of the ink compared to a traditional printer? 

The Brother label printer I use for postage does not use ink or toner, it's a thermal printer, so there's no cost for ink.  It uses continuous roll labels, so I also use it for labels for backing for my own products that I package.  And the printer only costs about 50 dollars new.  Cheap to buy, cheap to operate.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply