cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Sniping!

chris.nall25
Enthusiast
I just recently started my eBay business and along with all the research I've been doing about buyer trends etc... I've noticed this idea of sniping and sniping services essentially nulling the point of an auction. Can we suggest eBay institute a system change if so where do we do that? My suggestion would be any bid placed within the last minute automatically extends the auction by 1 minute. This would allow the person willing to pay the most actually won the auction. Can you imagine going to a live auction where the auctioneer held a stop watch and whoever blurted out the loudest in the last 2 seconds won? No of course not, why should eBay be any different. eBay and sellers would make more money, The buyer who wants it the most gets it. Seems like a win win to me. What are your thoughts?
Message 1 of 265
latest reply
264 REPLIES 264

Stop Sniping!

@williams712 wrote:
After 18 years I think sniping ruined the auction game.

The only people that complain about sniping are those who lost an item because the didn't use it. I use Gixen and set my high price then walk away. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary!)

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 256 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

eBay tried this a long time ago. Any bid placed in the last ten seconds automatically extended the auction by one minute. The result, eBay usaged dropped drastically. Users were furious. It's not about making the sellers happy, it's about making the buyers happy.

Message 257 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

I think you may be mistaken. There was a lot of threads started suggesting it but eBay never implimented it...

ebay bid in the last 10 seconds extends auction

Maybe you're thinking of Amazon?> Amazon, eBay and the Bidding Wars

When colleague Axel Ockenfels and I started to look into this, we noticed that there was much less late bidding in Amazon auctions than in eBay auctions. And, at the time we compared them, those auctions had only one important difference in their rules: They had different rules about how an auction ends. EBay auctions have a firm deadline: When the scheduled end time of the auction is reached, the auction is over. Amazon auctions also have a scheduled end time, but the auction is extended if there are bids near the scheduled end; the rule is that the auction can't end until at least 10 minutes have passed without a bid.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 258 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

@toninio53 wrote:

eBay tried this a long time ago. Any bid placed in the last ten seconds automatically extended the auction by one minute. The result, eBay usaged dropped drastically. Users were furious. It's not about making the sellers happy, it's about making the buyers happy.

eBay has never used extensions.

Message 259 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

@toninio53 wrote:

FAKE NEWS... Reader Beware!!!

Message 260 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

@@dbgb2k wrote:
Oh, and Joe, ... instead you didn't like what you heard, and decided to pad your BBL...

Forgive me if this should be obvious...

In this post:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/A-Part-time-eBay-Sellers-Group/Stop-Sniping/m-p/1455755/highlight/true...

you mention BBL ("... decided to pad your BBL ...")

And in Joe's post here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/A-Part-time-eBay-Sellers-Group/Stop-Sniping/m-p/1455241/highlight/true...

he says "BTW, welcome to my BBL."

What does the abbreviation/acronym "BBL" mean?

Looking in various places on the internet I find a few meanings (in no particular order), but none seem to make sense in the above uses:

Barrel
Brazilian Butt Lift
Be Back Later
Bye Bye, Love
Bye Bye, Later

Message 261 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

@greatwebcontent wrote:

@@dbgb2k wrote:
Oh, and Joe, ... instead you didn't like what you heard, and decided to pad your BBL...

Forgive me if this should be obvious...

In this post:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/A-Part-time-eBay-Sellers-Group/Stop-Sniping/m-p/1455755/highlight/true...

you mention BBL ("... decided to pad your BBL ...")

And in Joe's post here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/A-Part-time-eBay-Sellers-Group/Stop-Sniping/m-p/1455241/highlight/true...

he says "BTW, welcome to my BBL."

What does the abbreviation/acronym "BBL" mean?

Looking in various places on the internet I find a few meanings (in no particular order), but none seem to make sense in the above uses:

Barrel
Brazilian Butt Lift
Be Back Later
Bye Bye, Love
Bye Bye, Later

Blocked Bidder List. Since you saw it in an eBay forum, doing a google search with some context (i.e. "ebay bbl", instead of just "bbl") makes it very easy to find.

Message 262 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

Yeah, but Bye Bye Later would kind of work also, no?  Smiley Very Happy

@greatwebcontent  Here is a list of acronyms frequently used on eBay:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/About-the-Community/eBay-Community-Glossary/m-p/27131549#M14

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 263 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

@hidy-hoo wrote:

Here is a list of acronyms frequently used on eBay:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/About-the-Community/eBay-Community-Glossary/m-p/27131549#M14

Yea but hidy, "snnipes" not in there! Boy did this threasd bring back memories!

Message 264 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

You can get your point across without being rude.

Message 265 of 265
latest reply