cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fees Are Pure Greed

If  you go to the e-bay fee calculator that shows current fees compared to the new fees staring April 16th it pretty shocking for the amateur hobbyist guitar-seller.  If you don't have an e-bay store (because you don't sell that much) and are just a small hobby seller the new fee structure will put a total end to selling high end guitars on e-bay. For example if you sell a $3,000 guitar in a fixed price listing that cost $65 to ship, the current fee is $104.30. The new fee starting April 16th is $250. That's an extra $145.70. Wow! I remember a couple years ago it only cost $50 to sell a high end guitar. I'm sorry but these new fees are nothing more than total greed anyway you slice it.  Shame on you e-bay.  Why are you so greedy? X-(

Message 1 of 133
latest reply
132 REPLIES 132

New Fees Are Pure Greed

"the snowbird replied "i'll give you .50 cents for it"?"

Well them Minty , by your own admission ....at that point in time , that's all it was worth !!

& your cow-orker, was vugar & rude.

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 16 of 133
latest reply

New Fees Are Pure Greed

Komo....since when is a Silver Dollar worth .50 cents? It still holds a currency of $1..!

A snowbird asking .50 for $1.00 is asinine and downright disrespectful!

Message 17 of 133
latest reply

New Fees Are Pure Greed

Komo....since when is a Silver Dollar worth .50 cents? It still holds a currency of $1..!

A snowbird asking .50 for $1.00 is asinine and downright disrespectful!

Agreed, I'll give you a $1.01 will you provide free shipping?:^O

Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
Message 18 of 133
latest reply

New Fees Are Pure Greed

If its a true silver dollar its actually worth alot more than face value , silver coins have a huge market for silver content,it is not uncommon for silver dollars to be worth $10-$20 depending on the percentage of silver in them .

I don't do normal.......
Message 19 of 133
latest reply

New Fees Are Pure Greed

Unfortunately....if someone was to take a morgan silver dollar to the retail store...its worth $1..:^O

No higher...no lower

Message 20 of 133
latest reply

New Fees Are Pure Greed

And Komo...us Havasuians have nothing against snowbirds...they are the bread & butter of our economy in the Winter....but I do have a problem with someone asking .50 cents for $1.00. That my friend is Vulgar & Rude!

Message 21 of 133
latest reply

New Fees Are Pure Greed

just did a quick search and a true  1900 morgan silver dollar is worth $22-$300 depending on condition. I will be greedy and offer $5 for it,lol

I don't do normal.......
Message 22 of 133
latest reply

New Fees Are Pure Greed

Ok Ok leogo made a valid point

I'll  make it $2.00 but I still want free shipping and while your at it can you gift wrap it for me and put card with it saying "To Vasox the greatest Con Artist I Ever met":^O

Message 23 of 133
latest reply

New Fees Are Pure Greed

Yea....I already tried that guys....her words exactly were "help me sell it on eBay"...LMAO!

There are 2 eBay nerds at my job...me & an older lady who makes a killing of selling redneck red solo cups!

Message 24 of 133
latest reply

New Fees Are Pure Greed

"Redneck red solo cups" - I had never heard of them so I searched on eBay - that is hilarious - I will be responsible for bringing them to the party that Hannah is throwing to celebrate her fabulous sale!

I rescued my dog and he rescued me!!
Message 25 of 133
latest reply

New Fees Are Pure Greed

"Redneck red solo cups" - I had never heard of them so I searched on eBay - that is hilarious - I will be responsible for bringing them to the party that Hannah is throwing to celebrate her fabulous sale!

SWEET! I know a seller....:^O

Message 26 of 133
latest reply

New Fees Are Pure Greed

I agree that the fees are high ,but the irony is some of the buyers are worse than ebay for greed . I just bought some collectibles from a wholesaler ,six in a box for $72 or $12 each  ,every box has 5 regular edition and one limited edition collectible .The regular edition items are going for $23 -$30 on ebay while the limited edition is going or $50-$80 on ebay ,in essence some of the sellers are far greedier than ebay.

Greed is a relative concept.

I sell mostly Pottery & Glass, but I do sell a fair amount of collectilbes...vintage ones, not the new stuff.  For a $72 outlay and final sale prices ranging between $165 to $230 total, I would have passed on the intital purchase.  That's only a 200% to 300% mark-up.  For a $72 outlay, I would be looking for at least $300 (400% mark-up), and then only if I could sell them as a full lot of 6 pieces, and turn them quickly.  For smaller outlays, I look for a 500% to 1000% mark-up.

That doesn't make me a greedy seller, just one who knows how the numbers and %-ages work to make my business model sustainable.

The entrepreneur always searches for change, responds to it, and exploits it as an opportunity.

--Peter Drucker
Message 27 of 133
latest reply

New Fees Are Pure Greed

This thread baffles me and this is why? 

Under the new policy you would Pay $250 in fees on Ebay( FACT) no more no less for selling Pete Townshen hammer at $3,000.

When I stopped at my local Music store to pick up my daughter sheet music I asked them how much they would charge to sell a instrument for me. 

Their  response 25 to 30%. 

That would be $750 to $900 😮

Ebays giving you a deal!!!

Slow down and research and don't jump.

Nuff said

Message 28 of 133
latest reply

New Fees Are Pure Greed

I am in the camp of understanding but not empathizing with the people complaining about the fees going up in some categories.  You had a sweetheart deal for whatever reason and now ebay is saying the honeymoon is over time to pony up and pay what everyone else has been paying all along. 

After looking it over I like most of what ebay did for this update.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Message 29 of 133
latest reply

New Fees Are Pure Greed

@ leo, what you don't take into account about collecting coins is that once they are used as decoration, or in some jewelry, or mounted, or soldered, or glued or ..." antique barbers shave brush with a 1900 Morgan Silver Dollar  " embedded in the bottom" .....they lose most of their numistic value to a collector.

@ Minty......ebayers get offered stupidly low prices for their items all the time, & at a yard sale it's almost the norm, but swearing at the buyer, even one who makes a rudly low offer.......are you really defending that ??

& BTW .." an item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it"...  & I got shouted down for not buying into that logic.......???

Now you're saying something different.

Are you saying there are exceptions?

If the seller accepted 89 cents for the brush......

What then ??

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 30 of 133
latest reply