cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It happens again... Unreasonable high bids for low value items

I first came accross this "scam" last May and I fall for it. The buyer makes an unreasonable high bid for an item of small value. Then he never pays, I guess hoping that our gread will kick in and will send the item before payment, then eventually pay after ebay's intervention but then 30 sec after receiving the item the buyer requests a refund/return for any reason you can imagine. The aim is to keep the item for free as the postage expances will now become higher than the actual value of the item.  

It is interesting that both times that this has happened to me it is about old AGP video cards!! Is there something special about them? Anyway, as I said I have a case right now with a buyer like this who does not respond, does not pay and does not cancel the transaction, and what I am affraid? That somehow magicaly ebay will prefer to ask him to pay me than to grant my cancelation request. And if he pays me, that he will, then he has me as his next step will be the refund.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I would just wait the required number of days and if they do not pay, then file a non-paying bidder complaint with eBay.  If you file a cancellation request, they have to agree to that as the buyer, I think.  I would not give them that option.  Just wait until their time to pay is up and open a non-paying bidder request.  This is one reason I almost always also just figure out what I want for something and sell it for fixed price buy it now with immediate payment required.  If they do not pay, they cannot bid or end your listing, so problem avoided.   Computers are one of the categories that have a high fraud rate here on eBay, I tend to stay away from buying or selling them or anything related as a result. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

If I open a non paying complaint then all is lost. He will pay me and then he will file a refund after I have posted it. This is a loose loose case as you describe it.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

wrote:

If I open a non paying complaint then all is lost. He will pay me and then he will file a refund after I have posted it. This is a loose loose case as you describe it.

No, not unless you have your listings set up as no returns.  No returns does not mean the same thing as no refunds.  You should take returns.  And your terms should be 14 days, money back but the buyer pays return shipping.  The buyer is then REQUIRED to send it back to you via a method that has provable tracking.  If they don't send it back, they do not get a refund.  That's how this works.  It's basically the only protection you have nowadays.  Besides, if they get more than a couple of the non-paying bidder strikes against them, like if eBay sees a pattern of it, eBay will NARU them and they won't be a problem for ANY of us anymore.  You have to work within the system or it doesn't work for any of us.  File the non-paying bidder case if they don't pay.  If you don't, you are letting them win!

Message 4 of 4
latest reply