cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard to start selling on eBay

Hello  everyone, 

I have started this new jewelry and art business on ebay. Just wanted to know how long do you guys think it takes to mold? Also do you have any tips for me as a new ebay seller? Thankyou.

-Sparklet  Jewelry

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Oh my, you mean some guy or gal in Idaho might like my hands???? I do use my hands in pics of rings and my wrist for bracelets. BUT FEET!!! Never!!!

What I will say about your success is that jewelry is a very tough business on ebay. Most of my items are handmade by me and I have a large amount of stock on hand, 500+ pieces. I rarely sell more than 5-10 pieces a month. That also depends on how much time I have to devote to ebay between my 5 other jobs. I bead for pleasure and relaxation, I am not looking to make money at this point. I am looking to build my customer base. I have great customers and rarely get dinged except for a very few. When I get crazy requests, I block buyers.

What I will say is that unless you know something is truly sterling silver, do not list it as such. If you are wholesaling from China, be aware that many things stamped .925 are only silver plated. Someone will test it, and you will get dinged. China does not have the most honest  laws regarding anthenticiy. And once you get dinged, it will hurt. Buy from reputable sources. It is almost impossible to buy any jewelry not made in china, they pretty much own the trade on beads and baubles. Anything sold in the US can be pretty much shipped from china for free, but it takes weeks to months for it to arrive. Sometimes it never arrives. But if I want a bauble and can buy it from China for 3.99 and no shipping charge, I may be willing to wait 6 weeks for it to arrive.

I also like BIN rather than auctions. Set your price and stick with it. Unless it is very unique, you probably won't get more than one bid. And include shipping, people like that. Ship quickly and pack well. Even so, somewher along the line, the USPS/UPS or whatever will destroy something. If someone doesn't want/like something, take it back with a smile.

You can message me if you have any questions.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

"Oh my, you mean some guy or gal in Idaho might like my hands????"

laughing emo.gif

Yup, demarl, there are some strange peeps out there in eBay Land!

The reason, imo, that using hands in a listing is discouraged (unless you are a hand model) is that so many sellers don't realize how a "close up" of their hand will look, i.e., rough cuticles, bad or dirty nails, etc.

There is an on-going thread on the Selling Board about horrible hands in listings.  The OP of that thread will occasionally bump the thread with a new "gross" hand picture.

Congrats on your continued sales in a category bloated with Chinese knock-offs ~ Well done, and nice to see you posting again!

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 17 of 17
latest reply