cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final Value Fees are too high!!

eddieg11
Pathfinder
I think 10% is too high for eBay to charge for a final fee for items purchased. The bigger the item the lower percentage the fee should be. Giving up 10% for an item that you sell for $500 should not cost you $50 to process. Especially sinc most things are sold under cost on eBay. Thoughts?
Message 1 of 110
latest reply
109 REPLIES 109

@beautifulsky1 wrote:
Just to add , I calculated Amazon fees , would have been less than $20, so half of what the ebay mafia charges.

I believe yours is the first claim that Amazon fees are less than half of ebay/PayPal's. Care to show your calculations?

Message 91 of 110
latest reply

I agree. Fees were much lower years ago. And they're also making money on the PayPal and shipping. Too flipping steep. I'll be selling differently in the future.
Message 92 of 110
latest reply

@mmorgan8nrr wrote:
I agree. Fees were much lower years ago.

When? Before the millennium?

Message 93 of 110
latest reply

There shold be a sliding scale for ebay fees.  The more an item sells for, the lower the percentage of fees should be to ebay.  Ebay also riggs the stock price to favor insiders.  Ebay has massive debt and uses profits to buy back stock, in order to benefit insiders not the public investor.  If ebay was for the public investor, they would pay down debt with profits and issue dividends. 

Message 94 of 110
latest reply

@highwheeling wrote:

There shold be a sliding scale for ebay fees.  The more an item sells for, the lower the percentage of fees should be to ebay.  Ebay also riggs the stock price to favor insiders.  Ebay has massive debt and uses profits to buy back stock, in order to benefit insiders not the public investor. If ebay was for the public investor, they would pay down debt with profits and issue dividends. 

@highwheeling  And you know this how?  Links please!

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 95 of 110
latest reply

The FVF's are not too high in my mind. Hence, a brick and Mortar would be much more... listing fees are what I don't like when you have a listing that are good til cancelled. If the listing was free when It was originally listed, the re-list is automatic and the fees should be waived.
Live life as if it were created just for you
MAYA ANGELOU
Message 96 of 110
latest reply

I totally agree, the fees are super high, 10% is a lot. 

Message 97 of 110
latest reply

A file server is free to run. The fees are too high, no question about it. No bank charges 7 percent for transfers the way Paypal does, and 10 percent is simply too high when YOU DO ALL THE WORK.

I could care less if "ebay is cheaper than a store" because EBAY IS NOT A STORE. It is a web page and THAT IS ALL. I have already found a better, cheaper way to do this, Ebay will be emergency backup only.
Message 98 of 110
latest reply

@jimstonefreelance wrote:
A file server is free to run.
You really think that eBay is just a file server? And you really think a file server is free to run? 

The fees are too high, no question about it. No bank charges 7 percent for transfers the way Paypal does, and 10 percent is simply too high when YOU DO ALL THE WORK.
When did PayPal start charging anything for transfers?

Message 99 of 110
latest reply

Just dropped by for the SNIPE 😂

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 100 of 110
latest reply

I have to agree that the fees are too high. All things considering like what @legacy30 mentioned. I have to pay ebay, and paypal which they both own, and I also have to pay post fees... it all adds up to about 30% ! You guys talking about it being a better option than others, and that's why people are stuck selling items on ebay. Selling a $400 item means they keep about 95, and then paypals cut ... ? plus the shipping and handling, insurance, etc.... you've gotta be kidding me. 

Message 101 of 110
latest reply

@eddieg11 wrote:
I think 10% is too high for eBay to charge for a final fee for items purchased. The bigger the item the lower percentage the fee should be. Giving up 10% for an item that you sell for $500 should not cost you $50 to process. Especially sinc most things are sold under cost on eBay. Thoughts?

yes my thoughts are.... you are using EBAY to make money...and what you think is pefectly ok to "think" but who are you saying it to?..we agree if they were lower , then we would be happy, and want lower yet....

but ebay is a company , to make money too...and frankly 10%+/-  isn't that off.... shipping gets discounted ...and compared to a brick store, or the other sites...really you think it is so unfair? -

just saying , make sure to compare and look around, the lowest no....but do you get sales? that is on you to know....

is a coffee at one of those places, worth what they charge? well maybe? but if you don;t think so...then you would not buy it and go another route...plce...water whatever...right?  so...it the price of business... 

Message 102 of 110
latest reply

@daniel.fedgov wrote:

Selling a $400 item means they keep about 95, and then paypals cut ... ? plus the shipping and handling, insurance, etc.... you've gotta be kidding me. 

You must be using a different eBay. On a $400 sale, assuming &10 shipping, you pay eBay $41. If you're paying $95, you're really doing it wrong.

Message 103 of 110
latest reply

Yup, 10% is too high, (plus all their other fees) Pretty much given up on ebay now as there are many local on-line sites in my area that are effective and free! They make their money on advertising. 

Message 104 of 110
latest reply

I totally agree. They are far too greedy. They should encourage more sellers by lowering the listing costs and charge incremental levels of final value fees.
Message 105 of 110
latest reply