cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone use a postage scale?

Our 3 boys are finally getting out the house, and I'm cleaning closets and selling on Ebay.  Am finding it a fun hobby, EXCEPT shipping fees always catch me off guard (as well as Ebay and PayPal fees... ugh!).

The lady working at the Post Office suggested I purchase a postal scale (for about $20) and use USPS online -- to allow me (1) to set an accurate weight when creating a listing so buyers can calculate postage fees, and (2) to allow me to take advantage of online USPS discounts.

Does anyone do this now? Is it worth it for me to invest?

Thanks...

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

I use a WeighMax 2822.  It is up to 75 lbs and runs on either battery or AC adapter.  2 years of medium usage and it's always been accurate. 

The one benefit/glitch is it does 'auto-hold' the weight for a bit.  However, if you're not fast enough getting everything on the scale at once, it'll lock it in too soon.  The auto-hold does help though with big packages - can take it off and the weight amount remains.

- Suzanne -
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

A postage scale has saved me SO much money (okay, not a lot, but enough to make it worth it). Before I got it, I was just sending out books 2lb Media Mail. Now, I know for a fact when they weigh less than that and can even see when the weights save me money by shipping first class.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

Ultra-ship scale ..... never failed me.... although it can also be used with an adapter , I have only used batteries in mine.
I change them out once every 2-3 years.....

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

As a side note, if buying a weighing scale make sure it can weigh in all modes, also make sure if it's a digital brand, that it has a backlight, otherwise it can be difficult to read greyscale with a box hanging on the edge blocking the view.
Mine does disconnect, but it's a bit of a pain to get apart.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

The scale I bought years ago for $25.> http://www.amazon.com/USPS-PS-100-Desk-Postal-Scale/dp/B001EJF9PM/ref=pd_sbs_op_5

Used it today to send oldest a "care package" to him at college.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 20 of 23
latest reply

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Packaging-Shipping/weight-scale/qaq-p/6918647

Ever have a postal worker weigh your envelope/package? Flat & centered.

Can't see the screen when you put a large item on the scale? Use the "Hold" feature.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 21 of 23
latest reply

The only drawback I see with that is you have no drop off receipt. You have the tracking but no receipt for having it picked up.

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

My postal carrier scans packages I'm shipping when she takes them out of the mailbox at the end of my driveway, so I have an electronic scan receipt immediately upon her pickup. This also lets me know on days that I ship items that it's time to go check to see if I have any mail, LOL.
Message 23 of 23
latest reply