cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Filed a FALSE Item not as described claim... What should I do?

I sold a pair of 10k gold earrings that were my mother in laws, I decided to use a scale to measure them for accuracy. Have photos that show the 10k hoop earrings measured in at 1.4 grams - posted a photo of it in the original listing. 
buyer received said earrings and stated the following “we have as confirmed average weight of 1.13 grams, taken between two calibrated jewelers scales- this difference may not seem like much, but it is, when it comes to precious metals- we buy and sell on a very slim margin as it is- and the difference in this case equals out to a little over $10, putting us well into the negative on this purchase, based on the weight you gave versus actual weight. So, we can either return these to you, or you can make up for the difference, because cannot take a loss on gold purchases.” 

what the hell is that all about - they’re obviously scammer pros. They’re arguing over a .30 weight change..... I have no control over that... yet here we are.

So I did some research and responded with this 

“10k gold at 1.1 grams = $28.86 and 10k gold at 1.4 grams = $36.69. Leaving a difference of .30 grams between the two reported discrepancies. That price difference is $7.86. I would be more than happy to perhaps partially refund the difference but my scale is showing a .05 difference. Which is $1.31.
My postIng stated that the Earrings weighed about 1.4 grams” which is what my scale weighed them in at and what my listing stated. I gave the best description I could. I would be more than happy to partially refund you some of the difference as I have no way of knowing if your scale has been calibrated. 

will eBay back me if I allow a case to open ? I clearly described the posting and posted photos of the item on the scale. They used two different scales and one, had a dead battery icon. Lol will I win? Any thoughts anyone??

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Accept the return. 

Put buyer on blocked list. 

No need to communicate with the buyer. 

They may never send back.  Sounds like they are fishing for a partial refund. 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

@ourgemsrock wrote:

will eBay back me if I allow a case to open ?

No.

If you want the item back before refunding, accept the return and provide return shipping.

If you don't and Ebay has to get involved, they could refund buyer from your Pay Pal account and let them keep the item.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 3
latest reply