cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our per-order fee is changing

We’ve kept our per-order fee consistent since we started processing payments in 2020, but due to rising costs, we’re making an adjustment to this fee. This change will enable us to continue to improve our marketplace so you and your buyers can have the best experience on eBay.

What you need to know

Starting March 15, 2024, the per-order fee on orders over $10 will increase from $0.30 to $0.40 across all categories.

For example, if you ​sell a trading card for $25 including shipping and tax, you’ll now pay a fee of $3.71 instead of $3.61, an increase of $0.10.

We understand this change could impact the economics of selling lower-priced items. That’s why for orders $10 and under, there’ll be no change and you’ll continue to be charged the current rate of $0.30.

FAQs

What constitutes an “order”?
An order is defined as any number of items purchased by the same buyer at checkout with the same shipping method.

How are final value fees, including the per-order fee calculated?

We charge one final value fee when your item sells, and you don't have to worry about third-party payment processing fees. This fee is calculated as a percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus a per-order fee of $0.40 for orders totaling over $10, or $0.30 for orders $10 and under.

The total amount of the sale includes the item price, any handling charges, any shipping costs collected from the buyer (some exceptions apply), sales tax, and any other applicable fees.

Please ensure that all questions and comments remain on topic. Any off topic posts will be moved to the appropriate board, so they can be answered by Community Members. 

Please allow us 24-72 hours to provide an answer to your question. 

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Just to be completely clear: item price is $7.00, shipping is $3.50 , sales tax $0.50, for a total of $11.00... this will be charged the 40 cents, correct? The fee is based on the total, not the item price, right? 

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

Just to be completely clear: item price is $7.00, shipping is $3.50 , sales tax $0.50, for a total of $11.00... this will be charged the 40 cents, correct? The fee is based on the total, not the item price, right? 

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques! That is correct, the new per-order fee is based on the total amount of the sale includes the item price, any handling charges, any shipping costs collected from the buyer (some exceptions apply), sales tax, and any other applicable fees.

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

Plus the Final Value Fee (percentage varies per category, store or no store etc.).

This '.40c' takes the place of the current .'30c' that was always ON TOP of the FVF. 

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

Hi seller_update@ebay 

Thanks for the update, just curious as I think the following is a generalized unsupported statement unless you or one of the team can provide specific features the additional funds will be earmarked for: 

"This change will enable us to continue to improve our marketplace so you and your buyers can have the best experience on eBay."

For myself I "get it" that prices go up over time and eBay holding the 0.30 from 2020 to present is commendable.  Just want to make sure that statement has specific intent behind it ... for myself the additional fee will equate to about $ 100 extra in fees per year ... to be applied as a deduction on the Schedule C of course ... 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 5 of 39
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers yes. Thanks, I am aware of that. 

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

It's easy to get upset over the dime more, but between all of my ebay accounts it's only about $230 more in fees a year.   I'll never miss it as I've changed my business model to sell higher quality items with high profits rather than many low valued ones with low profits. 

Honestly, I have been expecting them to raise everything up to a flat 15% for years now.  That would have cost me in the many thousands of dollars.   I know it'll happen eventually though...

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

I see multiples of that little dime charge adding up on what should be a single order.  

eBay stats have shown that the number of buyers using the app is increasing steadily.  Those app users can place items in their cart, but CAN'T "Request Total From Seller".  So they end up paying for items individually, meaning multiple orders, for what should be one order.  Thus multiple 30 cent, now 40 cent charges.  This also necessitates refunds on multiple overpayments on shipping charges (yes it is my choice to refund).

I, among many others, have advocated to make the "Request Total" available for app users.  I have never seen a response from eBay, but would certainly appreciate an explanation, since this is directly tied to this new charge.

PUHLEEEEEEEEEEEZE, I beseech you, make this one simple correction!!

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

Is This The FVF? or in addition to that also? 
Thanks

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

@tweedysshop 

The final value fee is a percentage of each sale (item+shipping+tax).

The per-order fee (raised from 30 cents to 40 cents) is part of eBay's money handling fee. It is in addition to the FVF and is based on an entire order, rather than individual items.

seller_update@ebay 

However, with the new autopay feature, where buyers must pay immediately on offers, the buyer can no longer combine items into a single order. So there will be more split-up orders than before, meaning more 40 cent order fees.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 10 of 39
latest reply

@shipscript wrote:

@tweedysshop 

The final value fee is a percentage of each sale (item+shipping+tax).

The per-order fee (raised from 30 cents to 40 cents) is part of eBay's money handling fee. It is in addition to the FVF and is based on an entire order, rather than individual items.

seller_update@ebay 

However, with the new autopay feature, where buyers must pay immediately on offers, the buyer can no longer combine items into a single order. So there will be more split-up orders than before, meaning more 40 cent order fees.

Hi @shipscript! This is something that we are still evaluating and thank you for sharing your feedback with us! 

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

Thank you ! I just had a moment and combined it all in my head. I knew that , seeing it in my transaction Details. 

I'm cool with the 10 cent hike in fees, price of business.  However we had been looking at combined shipping options for some items. This charge was one of the things we are looking at , and has stopped us from updating our policy. Hopefully they will make it better.

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

@biggymoe wrote:

I see multiples of that little dime charge adding up on what should be a single order.  

eBay stats have shown that the number of buyers using the app is increasing steadily.  Those app users can place items in their cart, but CAN'T "Request Total From Seller".  So they end up paying for items individually, meaning multiple orders, for what should be one order.  Thus multiple 30 cent, now 40 cent charges.  This also necessitates refunds on multiple overpayments on shipping charges (yes it is my choice to refund).

I, among many others, have advocated to make the "Request Total" available for app users.  I have never seen a response from eBay, but would certainly appreciate an explanation, since this is directly tied to this new charge.

PUHLEEEEEEEEEEEZE, I beseech you, make this one simple correction!!

@biggymoe 

Are you requiring Immediate Payment on your fixed price listings?  If you don't, what I tell my buyers to do is to purchase each item they want, but don't pay for it.  Let me know when they have completed their shopping and I'll send them an invoice for all their items so they can pay in one payment and get a combined shipping discount.

It is unfortunate, but this has been a problem for YEARS.  I have no idea why it hasn't been fixed, but as a seller we sometimes have to find a work around so we can service our customers the best we can.  

What I've described above has served me well over the years and made my customers very happy.  Some have become return buyers.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 13 of 39
latest reply

@tweedysshop wrote:

Thanks

@tweedysshop 

The per transaction fee that started when Ebay became our Money Processor has always been in addition to the FVF they charge.  Right now it is 30 cents which was the same amount that PayPal charged us when they were our Money Processor.  PP raised their per transaction fee back in late 2020 or early 2021.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 39
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@tweedysshop wrote:

Thanks

@tweedysshop 

The per transaction fee that started when Ebay became our Money Processor has always been in addition to the FVF they charge.  Right now it is 30 cents which was the same amount that PayPal charged us when they were our Money Processor.  PP raised their per transaction fee back in late 2020 or early 2021.

PayPal also had a choice of a 5 cent fee per transaction with a slightly higher % FVF for high volume, low cost sellers.  Not all of us paid a PayPal 30 cent per transaction fee.

Message 15 of 39
latest reply