cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update your business seller account to comply with the Digital Services Act

The Digital Services Act is a regulation established by the European Commission to promote consumer protection. European law requires business sellers using online marketplaces like eBay include their business contact details on listings offered to buyers in the European Union. 

Starting in early 2024, if you’re a registered business seller who sells to buyers in the EU, you’ll need to show your business contact details on listings available for purchase in the EU. We know following new or updated regulations can be difficult to track and take time, so we’ve made it easy for you to provide your customized business contact information.

By sharing your business details you’ll earn trust with your EU buyers, and stay on top of the EU regulation before this becomes a requirement in early 2024.

Please ensure that all questions and comments remain on topic. Any off topic posts will be moved to the appropriate board, so they can be answered by Community Members. 

Please allow us 24-72 hours to provide an answer to your question. 

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Update your business seller account to comply with the Digital Services Act

I can't find the page for "public business information".    I can only find "business information".   

I'd like to use a different phone number for my public facing info.   Is that page not setup yet or am I just not looking in the right place?

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

Thank you.  🙂

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

@wastingtime101 In both of the examples that you shared these would both fall under unpaid items and the newly updated policy! 

Really? Adding to card should not fall under unpaid item. Maybe that person is price shopping. Or they want wait a couple days to see if they can find something better.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

Thank you.  🙂  It seems odd that after so much effort to keep buyers and sellers from contacting each other outside of the platform, that this is now required.

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

"Here’s what you need to do

• Log into your Account Settings on My eBay and navigate to a new page called Public business information."

I cannot find any page labeled this in my account settings.  Can you please help me locate that, so that I can change my info to an alternate phone number?

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

The Inform Consumers Act for US business sellers seems to exempt home based business sellers from displaying address and phone number on all their listings.

The FAQ's for the Digital Services Act FAQ's in this announcement say that even home based business sellers must have their address and phone number displayed on their listings--if their listings qualify to sell to the EU (and, I'm assuming that a LOT of items qualify to sell to the EU).

Question:

For US business sellers, does the DSA requirement override/replace the ICA requirement?

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

Would ebay allow the use of USPS PO Box address as return address? UPS and USPS allow the use of street address feature for their PO Boxes.

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

seller_update@ebay 

If we are signed up with eBay International Shipping, why is it necessary to provide our business contact information on our listings?  I thought, once an item has been received by the eBay international shipping center, that the seller's responsibility for that shipment had been superceded by eBay; but now it sounds as if sellers might be bombarded by overseas communications concerning shipments for which the EIS is responsible.  I'm definitely not happy about my phone ringing all night long!

Additionally, how do sellers know the difference between a "business" account and a "personal" account?  I was under the impression that eBay considered ALL of us to be "business" accounts.

And does the Digital Services Act refer to ALL items shipped from the United States -- including items which are used?

We need much more clarification!

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

Go to your account profile.  Then select PERSONAL INFORMATION.  Under that is your personal name and then ACCOUNT  TYPE and you can edit that.

I'm not doing it because I don't have the right type of checking account entered in Manage Payments (I use a separate personal checking account and I'm not interested in the hijinks necessary to change all that. )
Good luck!

Woadieland
DepressionGlassWarehouse
ebay seller since it was AuctionWeb
Message 24 of 28
latest reply

@1786davycrockett 

Additionally, how do sellers know the difference between a "business" account and a "personal" account? I was under the impression that eBay considered ALL of us to be "business" accounts.

At least on a PC, if you click on Account Settings and then Personal Information, you should be able to see whether your account type is designated as Individual or Business.  I couldn't get that bit of information to show on the AP.

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

Somewhere I saw that if someone were to upgrade their account from a type of 'Personal' to 'Business' that their seller limits all get set back to start from the beginning.  That would be quite devastating to some, plus, what if that also means feedback and other seller performance rating history.  There was also a comment that an EIN would be required, which isn't the case legally or IRS-wise for a sole proprietorship.  Again, that switch could cause series issues for folks.  I haven't seen anything from eBay staff on this.  

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

@montego1995 wrote:

Somewhere I saw that if someone were to upgrade their account from a type of 'Personal' to 'Business' that their seller limits all get set back to start from the beginning.  That would be quite devastating to some, plus, what if that also means feedback and other seller performance rating history.  There was also a comment that an EIN would be required, which isn't the case legally or IRS-wise for a sole proprietorship.  Again, that switch could cause series issues for folks.  I haven't seen anything from eBay staff on this.  

Luckily this is absolutely not the case!  Upgrading to a business account would not have any impact on your history, feedback, limits, etc..  You can upgrade from Personal to Business without any negative impacts to your account.

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

I got into the new International shipping program about 2 months ago.  Several years back I got into it and found it to be too much of a hassle.  I've been in about 2 months now and only have had two sales, one with multiple items of the same kind.  But this new situation with the E.U. won't fly with me.  I have a home based business with no business phone number.  My shipping info and return info is my local UPS Store.  I'm not giving my cell phone number to E.U. customers to call me any time during the night because of time differences, and I'm not giving out my home address, since my business is run out of my home.  I've been selling on EB for over 18 years.  So I'll be adding all the E.U. countries, all 27 of them to my list of blocked countries.  I'll continue offering my items to Australia, New Zeeland, and Great Britain.  It's that or just opt out of International sales altogether. 

trustblue127

Message 28 of 28
latest reply