cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question thread: Final value fee change in most categories

As you know, fees vary across categories as eBay always strives to achieve lowest total fees across category competitors. Starting on March 1, 2022, final value fees for Store sellers and those without a store will increase slightly. You can learn more about that here, or review the fee comparison chart here. Feel free to ask any questions below! 

Please note that eBay experts will be present and engaging on the boards between 8 am and 4:00 pm PST on 2.9.

Message 1 of 222
latest reply
221 REPLIES 221

The never ending squeezing of the producers from those who produce nothing will never stop until this funny money system is gone. Next stop 13.4%, 13.9%, 14.4%, 15%, 15.7%, 16%, 17.8%, 20% and on and on. Just call yourself the Ebay Re-venue Service...(ERS) What a joke folks. We will never get off the hamster wheel with these platforms. 

Message 16 of 222
latest reply

The price increases are ridiculous:

- Why is eBay charging selling fees on sales tax? Sellers do not constructively receive the sales tax in the first place so why does it incur a cost to us? Ebay can say there is a cost involved in administration, however this would be nominal at best as sales tax collection and payment for the volume eBay does is highly automated.

- To factor in sales tax and shipping on the ad rate calculation is outright theft. It is certainly a given that eBay only passes on part of their shipping discount to sellers to begin with - they already claim a significant portion of that back in selling fees. This is just another dig into seller profits. 

The stated increase of .3% is much higher than that. The new calculations are just a way to try to quietly distribute a much higher transaction cost for sellers. 

The real joke here is that eBay says it invests in the platform and in sellers. When are they going to improve customer service? I find it isn't even worth my time to contact customer support. I tend to just cut my losses and not contact them at all. Frankly, I don't understand how eBay got where it is today with hands-down the worst customer service in big business (just kidding - I know full well it is because sellers handle the bulk of the customer service on this platform). 

Ebay as a selling platform cannot exist without the sellers. Remember when Amazon workers did a strike for a pay increase? Maybe eBay sellers should do something similar? Perhaps at that point eBay decision makers would wake up.

Message 17 of 222
latest reply

The fees are already high, and including the shipping charges makes selling low value items especially unattractive. Ebay is ruining itself. I find it particularly offensive that I recently shipped an item to a US address, but because the buyer was registered in another country, I was charged a foreign sales fee, as well as State sales tax. I feel that you're really pushing the limits of what sellers will tolerate with an increase. I already have to factor in a refund policy that is abusive towards sellers and encourages scamming - it is difficult to be competitive, given shipping costs, FVFs... but hey, it's free to sell sneakers! 😕

Message 18 of 222
latest reply

Very disappointing and time for me to make a change also.  I only sell a few things from time to time and with fees increasing yet again and my time and effort, it's no longer worth it.  I've been thinking of not using eBay in the future, so thank you eBay for helping me to come to that decision that much quicker.  I'm out...

Message 19 of 222
latest reply

Seems like this whole thing is to appease stock holders and does not help sellers at all.

Message 20 of 222
latest reply

Agree this wont last much longer this way, for whatever reason they are aiming to put us all right out of business. This fee increase is one thing but that also hits the shipping price too, so its a double hit. Not to mention a fee on state tax for money we do not even receive but yet have to pay. Going to have to raise prices so high its just going to turn off customers. Can only go so far before this entire model dies out. Its getting very close to sayonara time. The winter update page headling bar says Running Your Business, it should say Ruining Your Business. Ebay better be careful or there is not going to be ebay much longer.

Message 21 of 222
latest reply

I’m not selling anymore on eBay . Just like all the other greedy places. I sell at flee markets and groups on Facebook 

Message 22 of 222
latest reply

It seems to me you will drive more sellers to ask for payment outside of ebay. Why are they doing it in the first place? Not because ebay charges less fees it’s because you charge to much. Now you are

telling us that more and higher fees are good for sellers! Give me a break. As a low volume seller and

far to high of a buyer I am getting hosed on fees. 

maybe sellers need to take their stores elsewhere until Ebay heads of state get those heads out of their asses. Fees do not help sellers or buyers they make Ebay fat cats fatter. 

as someone else said, you wouldn’t have a job or business if it wasn’t for the people on your platform and you have decided the best way to treat people is to take away more of their hard earned cash. 

I think Not!

not happy with Ebay!!!

Message 23 of 222
latest reply

We should all just quit selling . See what eBay does then. I’m not selling on this platform anymore. Might not be buying either due to everyone trying to make up the costs in their listing . Maybe eBay should cut some heads 

Message 24 of 222
latest reply

I'll be moving my vinyl inventory to Discogs as soon as my yearly store membership is finished.   Less traffic and less sales,  but I don't have to gouge customers to make a profit either.   Uses PayPal for payments and you pay up to 5% less on commission.   No fees charged other than the FVF and PayPal processing.   I've been on ebay for 12 years now, but after seeing this I don't see much of a future here.  Wake up eBay!  You just annoyed 70% of your sellers or more. 

Message 25 of 222
latest reply

Will be phasing mine out over the next few weeks. Im tired of the fee increases, ongoing tech issues that ive called about a dozen times, being lied to by Ebay cs reps, store items disappearing on a regular basis. 

Message 26 of 222
latest reply

looks like Tob ebay menagers looking to gather more funds for their hefty bonunses at the end of 2022. well done.  Keep screwing your seller more and more till you left with 0 stuff listed ! 

Message 27 of 222
latest reply

Ebay just screwing everyone again. First they dump PayPal in order to take those fees, then they charge for shoe sales over 100$ and now raise fees on everyone but they are here to protect and help the sellers what a f-ing joke. 

Message 28 of 222
latest reply

This is ridiculous.  The fees are already really high - and, on top of that, we're facing huge shipping price increases. I just sold some shoes, expecting shipping to be about $12.  But USPS was charging $30!!!   I wound up using FedEx, which was slightly less than USPS for this item. 

And Ebay KNEW shipping prices had risen as it sent us an email telling us this. Yet, it's now increasing its fees as well?   Greed - plain and simple - at the expense of sellers, who are trying to make ends meet during Covid. 

Message 29 of 222
latest reply

I have two questions which might actually have answers:

1. Aren't sellers usually given 30 days' notice before new final value fee rates (and other price increases) go into effect?  Somewhere I got the impression that there was a requirement or commitment to allow one full billing period before changes.  Why March 1, which is just 20 days from now, rather than giving 30 days' notice?

2. IIRC generally in the past when fee increases were announced, eBay also offered a grace period in which sellers with annual subscriptions for Stores could cancel or downgrade their subscriptions with no early termination fees. Will that be offered this time?

Message 30 of 222
latest reply