cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers Please Stand Up for your Rights Ebay is Hurting our Bottom Line Again!

I have been an ebay seller for years and this is just plain CORPORATE GREED.  I can not tell you how ashamed I am of what they are doing to us, the sellers.  Ebay now reports your end of the years totals to the government if over a certain amount they say.  I am not a business.  I am someone selling off my collectibles I have sweated over for years, paid top dollars, selling them pennies on the dollar.  The government is now taking 33 percent of your profits.  Ebay every year makes it harder and harder for the top rated sellers.  They are trying to eliminate them basically.  This new change is a slap in the face once again for the sellers.  We lose so much money from scam artist buyers, and the sellers have zero protection.  No matter what happens Ebay is in the buyers favor always.  I have had many cases over the years and have lost money.  Ebay continutes to take any profits more and more from the sellers.  It gets worse every year.  You no longer receive any promotional sales help.  They have basically eliminated free listings for their sellers.  Use to be 100 free then went to 50.  Use to get promo emails none now...listing are thirty cents a pop.  Wonder why people do not list their items when ebay and paypal and the government it taking almost half your money on your items you paid way more for to begin with when you purchased those items.  I am hurt that Ebay does not respect their sellers, who make this a WEBSITE!  Without sellers you have nothing, yet ebay tries to hurt their sellers more and more.  China and Hong Kong ect are out of control.  I buy items for discounted prices and never get them.  Months go by and ebay winds up refunding the seller, but China and Hong Kong close up shop and collect all the sellers money and skip out on ebay.  Ebay loses also.  I understand that.  But the good sellers have to pay for the bad ones I guess.  Is that the reason Ebay raises their profits with every change?  I am just lost as to why they hurt the sellers so bad.  PLEASE EBAY LISTEN TO US AND STOP LYING TO US!  You update specifically says this..."

Why is eBay making these changes?

eBay Top Rated Sellers have told us they want more tools and options to grow their business. The changes we’re making reflect our ongoing investment in helping them do just that and to ensure the best marketplace health and competition."

HOW is this helping sellers?  It is helping ebays profits only.  Charging sellers more money and making it harder standards to sell helps us grow our business? 

STOP ebay.  Help the sellers profit.  Stop the CORPORATE GREED.  You need us, we soon will not need your. I just need to pay medical bills off and I am having a harder and harder time doing that thanks to ebay taking more and more profits and now the government intervention.  Sad EBAY, learn to respect your sellers.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sellers Please Stand Up for your Rights Ebay is Hurting our Bottom Line Again!

I am going to read the guidelines before I make another post.  I am doomed on here lol.  Funny everyone is quick to jump on me about my posts but the true message needs to get through to ebay.  No one like to lose money.  Priviledge to sell on here I guess, but every year changes make it harder and harder to profit.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 15 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Sellers Please Stand Up for your Rights Ebay is Hurting our Bottom Line Again!

First of all, Paypal reports to the government, not Ebay.  And I believe they should for everybody, not just those selling over $20K.  That is one thing I have no problem with.  

Second, there is absolutely no way you are paying 33% tax on your Ebay profits.  If you are you are either making upwards of $200K in profits or you need a new accountant.

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

The govt treats your profits as a business and in my area the govt receives more than 33 percent as business taxes of the total amount.  Ebay is the one reporting and asking me for my social security number and other information for reporting.  Glad you are ok with paying govt fees on things you are selling in your home that you paid 7x more for than you are selling it.  To each his own if you are ok with Ebay corporate greed and paying more every year in fees then keep doing so. I feel voicing my opinion will help change ebay views of its sellers and respect us more.  God Bless.

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

How is paypal involved in reporting to the govt?  My credit card does not report how many items I buy or sell nor my debit card?  Paypal is just a money wash service that makes a profit off of money you spend or receive. The amounts make no difference but ebay is the one reporting to the govt how much I make and how many items I sell, not paypal.  Check your facts.

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

@letmefindpeacelord wrote:

How is paypal involved in reporting to the govt?  My credit card does not report how many items I buy or sell nor my debit card?  Paypal is just a money wash service that makes a profit off of money you spend or receive. The amounts make no difference but ebay is the one reporting to the govt how much I make and how many items I sell, not paypal.  Check your facts.

No, PP is the one, since they are the ones who are the money transmitters, 

You never had to give your SSN to ebay. You gave it to PP.

Check your facts.

Then why does my 1099K come from PayPal and not eBay???

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

PayPal is required by the IRS to report the sales of goods and services for customers who, in a single year receive:

• More than $20,000 USD, AND
  • 200 or more payments.

Internal Revenue Code (IRC) Section 6050W applies to all payment providers, including PayPal. You can find more information and FAQs by visiting the PayPal tax website.

Judy Harper
Message 7 of 34
latest reply

Like it or not, if you sell online in the 21st century, you ARE a business.

What rights? Nobody has the "right" to sell here. It's an option, not a requirement. If Ebay were the only way to sell things, then maybe you would have rights. As it stands, there are plenty of ways to sell stuff.

Selling online is not a right, it is literally a privelige. This is Ebay's playground. If selling here is not working out, then there are other places to sell. 

We ALL have bills to pay. We ALL have utilities and groceries and medical bills and college tuition....nobody here is special. Nobody here is exempt "because they have bills".

I don't like fee hikes. I don't like losing 10% of TRS+ discount. I don't like paying taxes. But I make it work. When it doesn't work anymore, I'll leave.

And if you're losing 33% in fees and taxes, you are doing something incredibly wrong.

I'm no Ebay cheerleader - far from it - but seriously, the only thing Ebay owes any seller is a place to list their stuff.

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 8 of 34
latest reply

You need to get your facts straight befor you flap you jaws.

The reports are PayPal not eBay, period!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

I have been an ebay seller for years

I am not a business.  I am someone selling off my collectibles I have sweated over for years, paid top dollars, selling them pennies on the dollar.

They have basically eliminated free listings for their sellers.  Use to be 100 free then went to 50.  Use to get promo emails none now...listing are thirty cents a pop.  Wonder why people do not list their items when ebay and paypal and the government it taking almost half your money on your items you paid way more for to begin with when you purchased those items. 

Since you aren't a business and just selling off your personal stuff ... you dont have a "bottom line"

If you paid too much for something, that is not ebay's fault.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

Do you watch the news? Do you read the paper?
Do you know how many billions of our tax dollars are **bleep** away for nothing and for foreign improvements.
You're right, let's give them more. For many of us we are just selling thing that we bought and paid sale tax on many years ago and now we pay income tax. Your right again, this is soooooo fair!!!!!!
Message 11 of 34
latest reply

@gshel6309 wrote:
Do you know how many billions of our tax dollars are **bleep** away for nothing and for foreign improvements.
You're right, let's give them more. For many of us we are just selling thing that we bought and paid sale tax on many years ago and now we pay income tax. Your right again, this is soooooo fair!!!!!!

What????

Thiis has nothing to do with taxes???

You pay eBay to provide a platform to sell your goods. 

They are not the "government" 😞

If you are just "closet cleaning" then you are allowed to make so much money a year.

But if you are buying for resale, then you are a business.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/tax-tips-for-online-auction-sellers

Tax Tips for Online Auction Sellers
Online Garage Sales

If your online auction sales are the Internet equivalent of an occasional garage or yard sale, you generally do not have to report the sales. In a garage sale, you generally sell household items you purchased over the years and used personally. If you paid more for the items than you sell them for, the sales are not reportable. Losses on personal use property are not deductible, either. However, see Sales of Appreciated Assets at an Online Auction below for gain reporting.

Home-Based Online Auction Seller Businesses

If your online garage sale develops into a business and/or you have recurring sales and are purchasing items for resale with the intention of making a profit; you may have started an online auction business.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

@gshel6309 wrote:

If you're paying income tax on money you make from selling stuff for less than you paid for it, you are in serious need of a clue, and a tax accountant.

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

I read all of your posts, and I'm not sure there's a single correct statement in any of them.

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

I am going to read the guidelines before I make another post.  I am doomed on here lol.  Funny everyone is quick to jump on me about my posts but the true message needs to get through to ebay.  No one like to lose money.  Priviledge to sell on here I guess, but every year changes make it harder and harder to profit.

Message 15 of 34
latest reply