cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 Spring Seller Update Reminder

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hello,

Please use this thread if you have any questions or wish to discuss today's announcement

Thank you. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 331
latest reply
330 REPLIES 330

I am on the west coast and I face very high shipping costs to the east coast on my heavier items. I have items I am sure are not selling because of the shipping cost. I agree it is insane. I have started using Fed Ex Ground delivery on heavier items. It is often 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of USPS. Check it out and see if it helps.
Message 31 of 331
latest reply

@lorivance2012 wrote:

In reality, TRS are losing MORE than people who are bad sellers. Bad Sellers are being penalized either 4% or 6%. TRS sellers are losing 10%. I have received no promotional offers for listings in 2 months. I thought about opening a store... but now the fee is almost as much as not having a store.

You may want to consider that store owners FVFs are less [by about 4%] than non store owners.  There are other perks of having a store.  The trick is to pick the right size store for your needs.

Promotional offers are not coming no where near as often as they use to for anyone.  They are still out there from time to time, but Ebay has certainly put the breaks on them in the last year.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 32 of 331
latest reply

@jo.tasha.fraser-2016 wrote:

What exactly is meant by  "....meet eBay's minimum performance standards..." ?

"Final value fees for sellers who do not meet eBay's minimum performance standards will increase by 4 percentage points on items sold"

@pepsiskywalker

If you don't know what Ebay's performance standards are for sellers, I highly recommend getting intimately acquainted with them as soon as possible as they are extremely important to your success or failure on Ebay.  Not knowing them could harm your account a lot quicker than you might think.  It is your responsiblity to know these rules along with the rules on how to take care of your customers.  They are two complex to list here.  But here is a place to start.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/seller-non-performance.html

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/seller-dashboard.html

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 33 of 331
latest reply

// On April 1, 2017, all Top Rated Sellers became eligible to receive a $30 credit each quarter to promote your listings on eBay.  //

How do we take advantage of these?  I just promoted a few items, but I didn't see whether or not the fees would be covered by this $30 credit.  Will it show up only on my invoice next month?  Thanks for the credits by the way!  I now purposely purchase multiples of some items just so I can use the promotion tool.  Found it it really does work!  

Message 34 of 331
latest reply

Alan/Commuity-

Wonder if there are any resources that clarify how to gauge "small" vs "large sellers"? Understandable incentive adjustment, just requires better strategy and logical business decisions to keep the bottom line feasible for sellers who expect certain outcomes from the selling services provided. 

Message 35 of 331
latest reply

Agreed! Worth the $$:)
Message 36 of 331
latest reply

Increasing the cost of doing bussiness and decreasing the FVF discount will not help the sellers at all, PERIOD.  As simple as that, you don't need a MBA to understand it.

Message 37 of 331
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@briansfashions wrote:

// On April 1, 2017, all Top Rated Sellers became eligible to receive a $30 credit each quarter to promote your listings on eBay.  //

How do we take advantage of these?  I just promoted a few items, but I didn't see whether or not the fees would be covered by this $30 credit.  Will it show up only on my invoice next month?  Thanks for the credits by the way!  I now purposely purchase multiples of some items just so I can use the promotion tool.  Found it it really does work!  

Great question, @briansfashions! If you're Top Rated, any fees you're billed for Promoted Listings will automatically be credited up to $30. Remember, you aren't charged an Ad Rate unless the item sales through a Promoted Listing. Feel free to reach out to our customer service teams (https://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/home) to let them know. They'll be able to review the issue and make sure you're taken care of!

Message 38 of 331
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@superiorbuysva wrote:

Alan/Commuity-

Wonder if there are any resources that clarify how to gauge "small" vs "large sellers"? Understandable incentive adjustment, just requires better strategy and logical business decisions to keep the bottom line feasible for sellers who expect certain outcomes from the selling services provided. 

Hi @superiorbuysva - When looking at a seller's account, we determine small vs. large when reviewing overall volume. # of listings active, total # of transactions, etc. Depending on your volume, it will also adjust your evaluation period for Seller Performance from either 3-months or 12-months. While these changes will affect both small and large sellers, our main goal is to further our sellers' success by offering additional resources to help grow businesses. 

Message 39 of 331
latest reply

Hello Heidi,

How nice to get an offical ebay reply to a comment I made. That has never happened before. (Well, ok once recently and It felt like a reprimand, and I didn't totally agree, but didn't know what to do, felt bad but, didn't answer, so, anyway.....)

Thank you for taking your time to answer. We appreciate knowing that our concerns are addressed.

And I must apologize for getting caught up in semantics. Raised by English teachers.

But, I have seen sellers rankled by this, and I must admit it caught me too.

This is not really a job. I don't work for anyone but myself. The best part about this is my schedule is not set, my time is my own. It's a job in the way making dinner or selling my house is a job. I had hoped to work it into a business, but not there yet. We are small sellers.

As to you don't want it to be any harder, we don't either!! If it were any harder, I probably wouldn't do it. We started trying to sell hard in January 2015. We expected it to get easier. It hasn't. The changing marketplace, along with ebay's changing policies , and increasing shipping costs have made it almost too challenging.

So, yes, since you were kind enough to reply to me, I looked at the new shipping tools. Not really surprised, but it made little sense to me at all. The one example showing west coast (expected that) as the origin of shipping, with cut off times, I just didn't get it. Maybe if East Coast had been shown as well, it might have been more understandable. Was that cut off a shipping time, listing time, payment time? Part of the example was cut off on the screen. As we are in flyover country, how does it apply? We sell a lot to neighboring states, but sometimes they have different time zones.

So now, I've already done what I was trying to avoid. Spending time on ebay, not doing anything to bring us more money. Just trying to understand a new policy. I'm sure that as the tool rolls out, and I can concentrate on what it means, that it will become easier. But again time. As it is said, time is money. Money is why we are here.

Thank you once again for your time and effort in replying. We very much realize that each of us has a different perspective on things. It is so hard to imagine all the different thoughts from this huge country with so many different lives, what is sold, where they are realitive  to a post office on any policy. ( BTW to those who advocate postal pick up of packages, our mail delivery came at nearly 8 last  night. At the best, packages could not sit out on the porch all day, weather, theft, etc and how might that affect scan times? No it's usually a trip to the post office for us!)

We hope that you at ebay will take our feedback in the friendly helpful manner it is intended.  We don't want your job to be any harder either.

@Anonymous wrote:

@lindyslucky wrote:

What does customize the days we work mean? 

We are pretty sure we already do that. 

We thought we worked for ourselves.

New rate tables and calendar tool sounds like more computer stuff. Very vague.

We get a sinking feeling when these things come out. 

As others post, it never seems like anything good.

We like selling things.

Really don't enjoy computer work.

Trying to learn to use new tools translates into less time listing.

Hi @lindyslucky - We definitely don't want your job to be any harder which is why we're introducing these new tools. They'll be able to help you customize costs and your shipping times. Check out: http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2017spring/shipping-tools.html for more info on what these tools will be able to provide. Give them a try when they're available and don't hesitate to reach out with any questions then!

Message 40 of 331
latest reply

I am not sure I am that excited about these changes! I am losing a 10% incentive to be a TRS? Shipping deadlines? Really? It will be my fault for late shipping due to postal service and I have to refund? Where is our incentive that we can actually be excited about? Why would you take 10% away from our discounts! Don't ya'all make enough money on us sellers?
Message 41 of 331
latest reply

I sell on ebay because I make a profit when I sell an item, not because ebay gives me a discount on my invoice.  Figure out how much more it’s going to cost you exactly.  For the Top rated plus discount, go to your ebay invoice, add your top rated plus discount for the past 12 months, divide that by 2 to cut it in half. That’s the total number of dollars, that ebay will be keeping this year compared to last year.  For me, that number was less than 1% of my total sales for the year.  I can live with that.

Judy Harper
Message 42 of 331
latest reply

I could live with that as well. However, some of us small item/ time " " sellers struggle with hovering around 12%... May as well valet everything and call a quits...

Message 43 of 331
latest reply

is 12% your profit margin?

Judy Harper
Message 44 of 331
latest reply

... that. is. ridiculous.

Message 45 of 331
latest reply