cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 Spring Seller Update Reminder

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hello,

Please use this thread if you have any questions or wish to discuss today's announcement

Thank you. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 331
latest reply
330 REPLIES 330

Re: 2017 Spring Seller Update Reminder

@stmpstrg wrote:

As I stated in my first response I am not a business. I do believe eBay started that way. A place for people to sell items they had in the attic ect. I totally understand that you want to make this your business but I do believe more sellers on eBay are like me who enjoy selling and don't have a problem with giving eBay their fair share for letting us do this. All they really have to do is charge the seller who want to use the marketing (like you) in this case more and we would all be happy

While you may not consider yourself a "business" doesn't change the reality of it.  You aren't selling just a few yard sale type items, you bring in stock.  And hopefully you are reporting your income to IRS each year.  I don't know why it is important to you to make a distinction about being a business or not being a business.  You sell stuff for money as do we all.

What you may be missing in why so many sellers are upset over the 50% reduction in the discount is the more you sell the more you lose in the discount.  So while it may not be important to you, for many sellers out there it hits them harder.  What Ebay is doing is giving seller less of an incentive to work harder and retain TRS+ on their listings.  Each seller has to decide for themselves if the reduced discount is still worth the additional work required to maintain the status.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 121 of 331
latest reply

If you had read all of my posts, I am saying the same thing. It hits me hard. I am not a seller that uses all the marketing tools so it's of no use to me and others but I will be hit with it just the same. It's not right.

And by the way, I do what I am supposed to do in all aspects of selling

Message 122 of 331
latest reply

This is helpful to your sellers? First you offer a valet service that cuts us out and then you reduce our 20% "bonus" for bending over backwards and killing ourselves to accommodate the most unreasonable customers, taking back returns on items obviously worn, giving free shipping on items "not as pictured or described" when they 1000% accurate, or actually take 30 days to ask for a refund and take another 30 to actually send it back. You should be rewarding us - not taking more from us.
Message 123 of 331
latest reply

Hi;

I don't understand why you are complaing about different shipping costs to different parts of the country.?  I have for years sold on Ebay using the calculated shipping. You just hvae to put your Zipcode, size and weight of the package and shipping type you use, and it charges your customer what it costs!. You can even add a handling charge.

Best Regards,  Steve

Message 124 of 331
latest reply

Looks like you are selling Brand New Items in the original packages, Not "From Your Attic", as you state. You are Clearly a Business!@!!!

Message 125 of 331
latest reply

Shipping the next day doesn't cost any more? Only Shipping, which will ARRIVE THE NEXT DAY!!!

Message 126 of 331
latest reply

Looking forward to the shipping cut-off chart and more built in shipping options, such as Overnight Shipping. 
My local Post Office is a small hub and they do not regularly scan in all of my packages. In the long run, it hurts my shipping time(not terribly) enough so that I rarely qualify for the seller discount. With the new tools, I imagine i can get to that discount point again, even if it is being reduced. 

Message 127 of 331
latest reply

I said that's how eBay started. Thanks for your interest in my item though

Message 128 of 331
latest reply

To the brilliant minds at Ebay who made the BIG mistake of cutting Top-Rated discount fees back to 10%. As of May 1st, you have lost one top seller and $500.00 a month average you collected in fees! Bravo and well done! Now you get $0 a month! You really expected that sellers would be OK with this nonsense. WRONG.

Message 129 of 331
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@petgirl85 wrote:

Does anyone know which categories they are referring to when they say the following:

•Final value fees for Store subscriptions will increase in some selling categories.

I found this article to be very, very vague.

You can find a breakdown of the categories that will have fee increases by visiting: http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2017spring/stores-updates.html :slight_smile:

Message 130 of 331
latest reply

I never said or implied that you don't do what a seller is suppose to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 131 of 331
latest reply

@stmpstrg wrote:

I said that's how eBay started. Thanks for your interest in my item though

@stmpstrg

I think this is just how you worded it in your posting #111 on this thread.  I don't think what you meant to say came across as you intended.

This is a direct quote from that posting "As I stated in my first response I am not a business."  I'm not sure how you wanted someone to take that statement other than how it was typed.

You followed with "I do believe eBay started that way."  They certainly were a business, but I don't know if they had a business license or not.  They most likely did.

"... you want to make this your business but I do believe more sellers on eBay are like me who enjoy selling and don't have a problem with giving eBay their fair share for letting us do this."  I think you may be trying to define "a business" as being a source or main source of income and that just isn't the definition.  Everyone, without exception that sells on Ebay is a business.  IRS defines hobby income verse other types of income.  But if you make more than about $600 off what you are selling on Ebay, you should be claiming it on you taxes as income.

So do you claim what you make off Ebay on your taxes?  I'm not trying to upset you, it is just a question.  For years there were many sellers on Ebay that did not and there are probably still those that don't but it is what you are suppose to do.

Message 132 of 331
latest reply

@stmpstrg wrote:

If you had read all of my posts, I am saying the same thing. It hits me hard. I am not a seller that uses all the marketing tools so it's of no use to me and others but I will be hit with it just the same. It's not right.

And by the way, I do what I am supposed to do in all aspects of selling

There are a lot of sellers that have not used or aren't using the marketing tools offered by Ebay.  You aren't alone.  But soon we should all try as we get the $30 credit, it might be a pleasant surprise.  At least I'm hoping so.  

Some small sellers seem to think they are losing more money over the TRS+ discount than they really are.  You may have calculated it correctly for yourself but I don't know as I haven't seen any postings on this by you.  You may very well be losing more than you can tolerate, but again the larger the seller the harder the impact.  Which is why small sellers are the least impacted by this reduction.  I'm not trying to minimize the problem or the impact an any seller of any size.  They are all important.  I'm just trying to put it into perspective.  

For every $1,000 worth of gross sales [not including shipping if stated separately], a seller with a store will lose approximately $6.15 in TRS+ discount.  For a non store owner it would be around $10.  

Message 133 of 331
latest reply

Good things?
Message 134 of 331
latest reply

really ebay this is going to help your buisness grow? negative you will be losing a whole lot of sellers due to the already ridiculous fee amounts. no wonder so many people are choosing to put their items on facebook for "free" guess i will have to think about that since i barely make a profit the way it is!

very disapointed

Message 135 of 331
latest reply