cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay, how do I count html characters in the 800 character view?

The text in the Update says that line breaks are usually 50 characters.

If I use html and two adjoining br's in their carats, does that count as 8 characters or 50 characters or what?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tealt wrote:

If I use html and two adjoining br's in their carats, does that count as 8 characters or 50 characters or what?

Hi tealt,

Tags will not be counted as part of character count, except for cases when they add characters or space (e.g. <br>, &nbsp).  If you include <br>'s within the description summary you designate, they will each count as 50 characters (approx. one line of text on a mobile device today).  

Thanks for selling on eBay,
Justin

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@tealt wrote:

Hi tealt,

Tags will not be counted as part of character count, except for cases when they add characters or space (e.g. <br>, &nbsp).  If you include <br>'s within the description summary you designate, they will each count as 50 characters (approx. one line of text on a mobile device today).  

Justin

So a double br counts as 100 characters. 

Great.

I find sentences stuffed together in a text block both annoying and off-putting.  How many board posts have I not read because they were a long paragraph with no breaks? 

Making my 800 Character Custom Block text readable will reduce the text to little more than a plea that a potential buyer click on the item description link. 

From mobile users I can see the SNADs and I-won-this-10-minutes-ago-but-I-didn't-read-the-full-description-until-after-I-won cancellation requests.  I'm already starting to get that type of cancellation request.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@tealt wrote:

Hi tealt,

Justin

That's ridiculous. 

So, how many characters is a paragraph break <p>?  Is it 100? 

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@llllady wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@tealt wrote:

Hi tealt,

Justin

That's ridiculous. 

@llllady wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@tealt wrote:

Hi tealt,

Justin

That's ridiculous. 

Isn't it feeling like some kind of cool game
How to perfectly present your item in 250 words or less. Do not miss flaws, do not miss measurements & size
If you do you cannot pass go ,  but you do earn a snad & get to pay shipping back or go  to jailSmiley Surprised

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

I'm not even going to concern myself with this nonsense. I'm not going to waste time changing all my listings.
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@labs118 wrote:

How to perfectly present your item in 250 words or less. Do not miss flaws, do not miss measurements & size
If you do you cannot pass go ,  but you do earn a snad & get to pay shipping back or go  to jailSmiley Surprised

250 characters ... not words 😞

A standard title is 80 characters ...

so a repeat of the title (80 chars) and  a blank line (50 chars) leaves you with only 120 chars ... 70 if you use another blank line 😞

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

@labs118 wrote:

250 characters ... not words 😞

A standard title is 80 characters ...

so a repeat of the title (80 chars) and  a blank line (50 chars) leaves you with only 120 chars ... 70 if you use another blank line 😞

Ok don't be sad I fixed it  Smiley Happy

How to perfectly present your item in 250 words  characters or less.
Do not miss flaws, do not miss measurements & size

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@labs118 wrote:

@llllady wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@tealt wrote:

Hi tealt,

Justin

That's ridiculous. 

@llllady wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@tealt wrote:

Hi tealt,

Justin

That's ridiculous. 

Yep! 

@labs118- going to BARKS? Think I saw that it is this weekend?

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Doesn't matter anyway.

If they do as they say and the bots will be "picking relevant words from the description" we'll just end up with the meaningless and deceptive dribble we had when they decided to show "parts" of a description and the button to see full description test.

We all have a fair idea what the bots consider "relevant"

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@Anonymous  Hi ~ how will bulleted lists be counted?  Will each bulleted line count as an additional 50 characters for the line break between bullet points?

tree*fern
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@Anonymous  Will the eBay-recommended paragraph about customs fees for international buyers be included in the character count?

Ebay's guidelines tell (non-GSP) sellers to include this notice in their listings.  It's important to include because if it was in the listing, then negative feedback about customs fees may be removed. 

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/international-shipping-rules.html

"To avoid problems, make sure that your listing clearly states this. You can cut and paste this directly into your listing:

'International Buyers – Please Note:  Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding or buying.'

If you add this information to your listing and receive negative or neutral Feedback from the buyer about having to pay import duties and taxes, we may remove the Feedback."

tree*fern

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@tree*fern

I have sent email requesting the same info about bullet lists, since those create separate lines like <p> and <br>.  Haven't heard back yet, but when I do, I'll prepare a summary of the info I requested.

As to Duties text, eBay will have a clickable "more..." link on the summary to prompt the buyer to read the full description. So if your Duties text is in your full description, it will still meet eBay's requirement. eBay is not setting a limit on how much description you can have. They are only saying that if your description is over 800 characters, they will select the text they wish to display, unless you add tags.  eBay is not likely to select Duty text for a summary. If you select it yourself, then it will be treated like any other text you select. 

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I was wondering about that myself (how tags for numbered/bulleted lists would be handled in character count). I hope you hear back as I'd love to add the info to this thread which is an overview of the mobile updates - trying to gather all info in one place: http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Mobile-Optimized-Descriptions/m-p/25417010#U25417010

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Thanks, Ship!  @shipscript

I'm wishing they won't include that verbiage in the 800 count, as it's not really optional.  I remember when they experimented with the pop-up notice for international buyers that made that text unnecessary in descriptions; was glad to omit the text.  In, out, in again.

tree*fern

Message 15 of 18
latest reply