cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Javascript, Flash, Object, Embed, WebForms, Active Content going away

The use of active content in listings, including JavaScript, Flash, plug-ins and form actions, inhibits purchases on mobile devices and can lead to abuse in the marketplace. Beginning with the Spring 2017 Seller Update, eBay will limit the use of active content in all new listings across all devices and it will not be rendered by default. By the Fall Seller Update 2017, we plan to remove or block listings with active content. We encourage you to limit your use of active content now. We will provide more information later this year about which functionality will be limited and provide the specific timing in early 2017. We also are working closely with our third-party partners in cases where they use active content on your item descriptions or stores.

Many listings use javascript to position and activate content with onclick events and mouseovers, like menus and terms tabs. Many have promotional galleries, photo galleries, and such.

I urge eBay to create and embed a tool in the listing process to remove that content instead of sending violation notices.  I understand that eBay will work on a method to bring YouTube videos back into the page.

In the meantime, I have been working on a free tool that will identify this content and return a script-free version for you to use, for those who have no other method of locating and eliminating the content. You can @shipscript me if you need to use the tool.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Javascript, Flash, Object, Embed, WebForms, Active Content going away

Here is a little more detail I received back today from Auctiva and wanted to share.

Thank you for contacting Auctiva Support.

Please be rest assured that it is our complete goal to ensure the level of tools and functionality (including the scrolling gallery, counters, and templates) you have today will continue in spring 2017 or whenever eBay starts to roll out changes. We meet with eBay to discuss options on a regular basis. Currently eBay is not completely sure how they plan to implement these changes from a technical perspective, but we continue to stay involved in conversations and provide our input with Auctiva users in mind.

Our understanding of eBay's main goals with respect to active content, are around site security and a great mobile experience for consumers. Auctiva was already aware and in-line with these eBay goals when we released the new scrolling gallery, which is HTML5 compliant, and looks great in a mobile environment. If you're not using the new scrolling gallery in your listings, you should; it will improve the viewing experience on mobile for your buyers and will help increase your conversion rates.

As we continue to work with eBay we will keep our users informed, especially as we finalize a direction. Again our complete goal will be to ensure you, as a seller, will continue to have access to the tools and functionality you currently have in Auctiva with little or no impact to you.

We see these changes on eBay as an opportunity to improve the Auctiva product, and find new ways to solve problems for online sellers, and ultimately provide value to you.

If you have any additional questions or concerns pertaining to your Auctiva Account, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,
Auctiva Support.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply