cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

25% Increase on ebay store fees?

Already overpriced, they are now going up 25% for a basic store?
Ooh, we get more free listings.  Like ebay doesn't throw hundreds or thousands of those at us every month, anyway.

No way are the changes worth anywhere near $165 a quarter.  Not even worth the $20 a quarter extra that they will be charging.

All we're getting is more "free" lstings, and some $25 coupon that most will never use.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

With the new changes, you may be better off with a premium store instead of an anchor store. The biggest draw for new anchor store is the extra free listings. If you're not going to use them you'll just be paying extra for nothing.
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I can't justify the expense of anything more than a basic store. Even that is now getting out of hand.
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Anchor store going from $180 to $300 a month!! That is just ridiculous. They obviously need a store size inbetween a Premium and Anchor.  1000 listings versus 10,000 listings. Yeah, something inbetween seems justified.  I list about 3300 items a month. Depending on what the extra listing fee is over 1000, I guess I'll have to downgrade. 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Yep...give 'em somthing that they can never use because they (eBay) cap the $$$ value and number of listing based on your account...NOT your store level.....in business they call that an "elegant negotiable", in government they call it a tarrif, we normal folks call it another reccurrent slap in the face to the eBay base.

I'm sure that soon they'll be giving eBay buyers the ability to charge for time they spent looking for an item or returning an item that was subjectively unacceptable....sounds crazy, but so did one-sided feedback!

You know they froze our revenue stream (PayPal) and shut our store because we were 3.04% "defective"...with a 4.9 customer rating BTW, saying that what was done "was in everybody's best interest" and "we spoke to sellers and this is what they said...". 

First, it took us a couple of hrs to see how it was in the best interest of our business and the customers we serve, but we firmly believe things are meant to happen....and it has sent us creating an instance on other web-based channels to market where NOTHING comes between us and our customers.  Where the entity actual SUPPORTS a free and open marketplace.

Second, who are these "sellers" that they keep talking to, and point to, in order to validate the abuse of the seller base??

Anyone know?

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Wow, that's insane. You can get your own site for much less. Hard to match the traffic you get from ebay, though.
I sell sports items, and the NFL is not going to allow new merchandise on ebay anymore, so I will be listing less than I was.
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I will actually save over a hundred dollars a month with the new Anchor Store. But that's how ebay changes have worked for years. They will help out a few members and ebay will show them as examples, while taking even more money from other sellers. The result is a net gain for ebay.
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

eBay is out of control. I think maybe congress need to take a look.
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

No, I tell you what I'll be better off doing:  Closing my Store and getting the heck off ebay!  I just took a $100 loss from a scammer and Ebay did NOTHING!  This is the final straw.  Thanks ebay!

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Totally.  I'm done with ebay. 

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Our friends....in order to maintain your sanity, please keep the following in mind:

1. eBay is trying to be the next Yahoo and/or Amazon
  2. They increasingly cater to the mega-seller retailers who want to sell old/slow-moving stock
  3. The above group is their main meal-ticket, the mom & pops that made eBay, are more of a nuisance than anything else....and they (eBay) are, in our opinion, looking to weed those folks out...and push the public toward one of their Mega-auction "partners"...Deep Discounts and alike...and the "listing assistants" or whatever they are calling them.  They are large retailers that recognize the size and revenue to be gained from the secondary market, otherwise they wouldn't be participating.
  4. They don't care about:
    1. You & Family
    2. Your business
    3. To believe anything else, in the face of what eBay has become over the past 10 years, is madness
  5. Whatever and whomever depends on an eBay revenue stream must come to grips that the grassroots eBay has died.  It has been replaced by a regime who cares only about the bottom line, their stockholders and the directional re-positioning of their existence into THE Big-box outlet store.

So our mission is to help people understand this in order to minimize the impact of the ever changing environment on their sanity, and the impact on the family kitchen table of eBay sellers everywhere.

That is all - HeWhoHasAnEar  (wish eBay had an ear by the way.....or at least a hearing aid)

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Perhaps they already have, or at least made overtures that they might.  At one time eBay controlled not only their marketplace, but, basically the acceptable way to be paid....maybe they got their heads out of the sand long enough to divest PayPal??

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

interesting how eBay's idea of e-commerce has morphed into a similar relationship model as the federal government and the "small business lobbyist" or "special interest group".
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

These young "marketing degree geniuses" will bring down Ebay.  Everyone knows the expression, "the bigger they are, the harder they fall."

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I've seen this movie before and eventually top sellers will boycott eBay as they did in early 2005. Some of the comments discuss the business degree "geniuses" at eBay but I've got an MBA from Northwestern University and see eBay once again biting it's nose to spite its face.

Economics works both ways - Macro for eBay and Micro for its sellers. I'm working on my own site but it's a tough slog when fighting search engine algorithms like Google's who want you to sign up for Google Ads and pay the piper once again. Success with a personal website can be had but patience is the keyword and you must work social media constantly and keep your site updated. It must also have a blog that's updated weekly with pertinent information related to what you're selling.

With all that said having a store, putting up with increased shipping costs is placing an enormous strain on the small business eBay seller. Maybe eBay merely wishes to weed the little guy out, they don't see us as the sum of their parts who collectively bring in huge dollars in fees.

I'm very close to the breaking point. One note  I did this as an experiment and my last 10 largest sales have come from Etsy. Beyond that the goal is my own website for the long run.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply