cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shoehorns have a gender? Who knew.

I mean really?

IMG_0849.JPG

I have a shoehorn in my hand right now and I have looked and looked, and other then the hole in the handle I can't find anything that I would call genitalia. And I picked it up and held it without asking permission first, can it file a sexual harassment case against me?

'Best' part? If we click on the 'Related - shoe horn long handle' link the gender list goes away. So did ebay decide that the 'long handle' ones were ... male?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

@gosimus wrote:

@silverstatetreasureboxes 

< probably older men in their 80s >    

Just wondering, are there any younger men in their 80's ? 

Only in their mind, you can find them with shoe horns in their back pockets!

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes wrote:

Only in their mind, you can find them with shoe horns in their back pockets!

And a chalk bag for their white bucks.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

OMG, please be careful with posting such explicit photos! Some community members have young children who may see those naked shoehorns! 

There may be some special interest groups that will be more appropriate to discuss your handling of the shoehorns in detail. 

And I see some are not just male or female, but they're featuring young boy and girl shoehorns?! Talk about inappropriate!

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

@steve_stuff  Thanks!  You have no idea how much I needed to smile today!

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

In my late teens I  was going through a "curious" phase.

I tried using a female shoehorn once.   😉

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 20 of 31
latest reply

so I am in the urologist office

I was getting my fiducial markers or my space oar gel installed

looking across the room at some long steel thing hanging from a doorknob and it had me fascinated.

I had no idea what it was and on the way out I figured it out.

after you come out of the radiation room you are in your socks

there was another on the back of the chair, my oncologist said I was a young buck at 62

many of the men there had 20 years on me

it was like an old mans club with shoehorns everywhere sort of

@inhawaii 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 21 of 31
latest reply

@inhawaii

In my late teens I was going through a "curious" phase.

Somehow that doesn't surprise me.

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

OP here

One of the people who works here [real store] is an artist - mostly photographs  - and after reading this she has decided her next set of still life's will be called "The live and times of the shoehorn family" and will be photos of 'shoehorn with socks' --- "... at play" [she has dollhouse stuff so on swings and the monkey... I mean primate bars ] --- "... at rest"  [dollhouse fireplace] - "Star of shoehorn" - "Cape Shoehorn" - "... cop" -  "On vacation" [surfboard] 

Knowing her she's really gonna do it, so we will let her use the big bunch of shoehorns we got that stated this whole thing as props.

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

@steve_stuff wrote:

OP here

One of the people who works here [real store] is an artist - mostly photographs  - and after reading this she has decided her next set of still life's will be called "The live and times of the shoehorn family" ... 

What fun!  If you could possibly share one of her works when they're all finished, that would be great.

-

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

@gosimus wrote:

@silverstatetreasureboxes 

YES. ME. I don't think the time we are asleep should count against us. So by that logic I'm still in my 50's.

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

@mybigsale wrote:

Since you can't find anything, you should choose "Adult Unisex". Now with dresses, it is a completely different story.

Oh, I don't know. Lea Thompson might be a buyer.

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

@steve_stuff wrote:

I mean really?

IMG_0849.JPG

I have a shoehorn in my hand right now and I have looked and looked, and other then the hole in the handle I can't find anything that I would call genitalia. And I picked it up and held it without asking permission first, can it file a sexual harassment case against me?

'Best' part? If we click on the 'Related - shoe horn long handle' link the gender list goes away. So did ebay decide that the 'long handle' ones were ... male?

Interestingly enough I need a shoe horn. Believe it or not the shoe store I shop at does not sell shoehorns.

So I checked your site and I could not find one. WHY NOT after all this?

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

OP

Thank you, you reminded me of why I was looking at shoehorns in the first place - shoe fix it guy next door sold the equipment and is going back to making custom furniture, and he gave me 40/50 plus store branded shoehorn made by the original store owner back in the fifties. I don't think I can say if I'm gonna list them or not, so won't.

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

@steve_stuff 

I learn something new and interesting on this site every day!

Have never "used" a shoehorn and have been debating about getting rid of some wooden "shoe trees" and "shoe shine" wooden boxes that all belonged to MIL/FIL.  

So your post has me pondering if perhaps, the shoehorns and the shoe trees have similar attributes as regards "gender"?  I even have some sort of contraptions that go on the bottom of shoes, like snow tires to turn ordinary shoes into those that can navigate bad weather evidently.

Just never realized shoes had all these accessories to make them perform so well for your feet!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 29 of 31
latest reply

Shoe horns are big business - Etsy has a ton of special shoe horns (some may even NOT be pretend-hand-made-but-made-in-China-factory, but actually hand crafted in their own home countries).  

Shoe trees tend to be gender specific, though, because men's shoes and women's shoes are made on different lasts.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 30 of 31
latest reply