cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

esell-resell
Thrill-Seeker

Has this happenned to anyone else?

I sold a Computer Server to a buyer on Ebay, this guy phoned me, we discussed everything about the server and shipping. Now this guy was cheap I could tell just by him whinning about how much the shipping would be and how long it would take.

So me being a nice person and I know what it is like to have to wait and wait for my package, I told him to send me $90 and I would express ship it out to him and he would have it in 3 - 4 days. He agreed and sent me the extra $90 plus I gave him a deal on the server $169.99 , when I could have easily got $200. The server weighs 70lbs and is 26"longX19"highX9"wide and has to be shipped in it's proper sitting place so I had to label it with THIS SIDE UP stickers and also HEAVY stickers (70lbs) and alot of FRAGILE AND HANDLE WITH CARE stickers. It cost me $280.00 to ship it to him (no lie I have the receipt from UPS on my account) and only charged him $90. When I packaged the server I did it at the UPS office that I go to all the time and the UPS agent helped me actually. I wrapped it in packing cardboard and used a bubble packing envelope for extra cushion on the back of the tower server so that none of the conections would be broken. It was then triple wrapped with cardboard boxes customly made top fit tight around the server and several layers of red Tuck Tape were used to seal it all up.

The buyer received it I believe 6 days later because some of the paperwork for the border ( Canada to USA) were not proper so it took a few more days. When his even NORMAL shipping, like the cheapest from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada to New York USA would have been $133.00 and would have taken 2 - 3 weeks to get there. Remember he only paid $90?

Anyway 3 days after he received the server he sends me a message that it was damaged during shipping because it was not packaged properly and he wants all his money back and also the shipping money. In my listing I had listed no returns or exchanges. I want all of you to know that I have sold many of these units and I always, ALWAYS run a system check on them before shipping them out and I have never had a problem. So I replied to him that I most certainly did package it properly and I asked him to send me pictures please and I also asked him why he would accept a package that was damaged. He would not respond or nor did he send any pictures.

Yesterday I received a buyer complaint thing from Ebay and Paypal puts a $179.99 hold on my account. I responded to the complaint and explained everything in detail and informed the buyer that I would be contacting Ebay and UPS this morning.

This morning I woke up a little later than usual 11am and noticed that the buyer had already escalated the complaint with Ebay at 6am. I immediately phoned Ebay and spoke to someone in the Ebay Buyer Protection department and I explained everything to the rep and also that I packed it in front of the UPS agent who helped me and that the buyer would not send me any pictures, and I expressed to the rep that I think what the buyer did was buy a different server locally because I noticed on his account that a few days after he bought my server, he was buying Tape drives for a completely different server, and after speaking with him on the phone he had said that he was in need of a server badly because they did not have one.

So here is what the Ebay rep did during the phone call I had with him. He ruled in the buyers favor and now the buyer can take 7 - 14 days to ship it to me and he can send it anyway he wants, so I will be waiting for 4- 6 weeks at the very least to get back a BROKEN server that has now cost me 280.00$ in shipping and is probably now worth nothing because here is what I believe happenned the buyer found a server locally and then read the buyer protection policy and then damaged the server ON PURPOSE then filed the claim. I know I cannot prove it 100% but I know that is what happenned.

So now I am out over $550.00 and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. I am sooo tired of getting ripped off on Ebay by buyers that LIE and Ebay rules in there favor all the time. I have 2 kids and this is christmas time and this extra money is for gifts for them, I am so UPSET right now with Ebay that I am about ready to quit selling on here completely.

I go out of my way to ENSURE that items are packed EXTRA well so that damage does not happen, and now I get ripped off by some goon that uses the policy to get away with it.

BEWARE SELLERS this can happen to you.

I think Ebay needs to wake up and change some of this NON-SENSE policy loop holes that these scammers use to scam you out of money. Oh and get this that buyer can now leave me NEGATIVE feedback but I cannot do the same to him, I can either leave positive or no feedback!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Message 1 of 613
latest reply
612 REPLIES 612

rachel_garland797
Enthusiast

no i had a worst case i sold an xbox to a buyer that was tested. he disputed the claim paypal returned all of his money and the buyer refuses to send the item back to me. The buyer has the xbox and the money. Don;t I have some type of protection or is there anyone who can help me. The money was refunded April 14 more than 45 days ago. I should have protection.

Message 76 of 613
latest reply

Add me to the class action law suit with ebay's policies toward sellers. Ebay = safe haven to openly practice fraud by many buyers. Ebay, and paypal by extension, collect the fees and split. Their attitude: You've sold your item, they collect their fees, so from then on forward it's your problem. FU ebay.

Message 77 of 613
latest reply

urstomycloset
Enthusiast

hi there. Im new here in ebay..sold my first item too. I just have a question, I already print my shipping label thru paypal and received an email from paypal that they will notify buyer..Is that the invoice? or should I be the one to issue an invoice to the buyer? which is also better in sendng shipping label, using ebay or paypal?

Thank y'all. I would appreciate your time answering my question.

Message 78 of 613
latest reply

Yes I have been conned by several sellers that want a full refund and to keep the item. Ebay always always sides with the buyers regardless of the situation. If I don't go along with the buyers demands, including giving them money, or letting them keep the item plus a full refund, they will give me negative feedback.

1.  one buyer put a brand new velvet dress in the washer and wanted a full refund, plus money for their pain and suffering and gas money to pick up the item for the post office

2. one buyer said she didn't like the pants and said she sent it back and put in a false confirmation number. Paypal said that was mail fraud and Ebay told me to contact icp, yet this buyer is still buying and left me negative feedback.

3. Several buyers who are dissapointed in the item yet want to keep it and get a full refund or else I will get negative feedback

4. Several buyers who want some money back because they found a loose thread that they could easily cut off with scissors. If I don't give them some money back I get negative feedback. That

Enough is Enough already, and EBAY needs to stand up for it's sellers. Atleast let us give con or extorting, blackmailing buyers negative feedback

Message 79 of 613
latest reply

******Sorry, I posted again because I meant to say, "YES, I have been conned by several BUYERS, that want a full refund.......

Yes I have been conned by several BUYERS that want a full refund and to keep the item. Ebay always always sides with the buyers regardless of the situation. If I don't go along with the buyers demands, including giving them money, or letting them keep the item plus a full refund, they will give me negative feedback.

1.  one buyer put a brand new velvet dress in the washer and wanted a full refund, plus money for their pain and suffering and gas money to pick up the item for the post office

2. one buyer said she didn't like the pants and said she sent it back and put in a false confirmation number. Paypal said that was mail fraud and Ebay told me to contact icp, yet this buyer is still buying and left me negative feedback.

3. Several buyers who are dissapointed in the item yet want to keep it and get a full refund or else I will get negative feedback

4. Several buyers who want some money back because they found a loose thread that they could easily cut off with scissors. If I don't give them some money back I get negative feedback. That

Enough is Enough already, and EBAY needs to stand up for it's sellers. Atleast let us give con or extorting, blackmailing buyers negative feedback

Message 80 of 613
latest reply

**** I meant to say, YES, I have been conned by several BUYERS

Yes I have been conned by several sellers that want a full refund and to keep the item. Ebay always always sides with the buyers regardless of the situation. If I don't go along with the buyers demands, including giving them money, or letting them keep the item plus a full refund, they will give me negative feedback.

Message 81 of 613
latest reply

darciecal
Enthusiast

I am in shock.  I sold a lovely iMac computer with a year of Applecare to a buyer, packed it well, sent it Priority Mail at my own expense so it wouldn't be in transit a long time -- and the buyer claimed it had "burnt smudges" on the screen (NOT TRUE) that Applecare wouldn't cover because it had been damaged in the mail (HUH?) and also that it NEEDED MORE RAM.  I'm sorry, but how does a computer being dropped in the mail result in burnt anything and it needing more memory???  I'm going to appeal.  The iMac sold for a mere $800, which I also no longer have to refund, btw.  It went toward bills. Nobody sells at $1500 computer for half price unless they really need the money.  Well, I guess this scammer needs money, too. 

Message 82 of 613
latest reply

I was scammed by another seller. I made a purchase. The item was an oblivious fake. The logo was glued on with rubber cement.  Long story short I had to file a claim, which the seller agreed to and closed the same night.  I sent his item back to him and 3 weeks later, a full 3 weeks later, he wrote  to me and accuses me of keeping his authentic item he had "never in my life" had such an experience with such a dishonest person. Demanding I return his Authentic item. 

I invite you to check my listings, I do my homework and I know vinyl from leather and a sewn patch from rubber cement.  This seller is still selling one ebay???? Why?

Scammers come from both sides of the fence.  I took photos as son as I started opening my package and knew it was not real to back up my story. I did win my claim but why can someone like this still sell and make the rest of us look so bad?

I don't accept returns because I am afraid someone will return something different than what I sent out.  After reading this thread I am  1.Putting Canada on my exclusion list  2. Always a delivery signature and   3. Pray more.

Message 83 of 613
latest reply

Here we are in 2013 and eBay has continued to side with buyers over sellers.  Even when you post no exchange and no return, eBay still yanks the money from your paypal account.  This has been going on for years.  My worst experience was over last Christmas.  The buyer contacted me directly over two cameras insisting that he have the cameras before christmas because they were presents.  I told him I was leaving the country and I couldn't guarantee shipping when the auction ended so close to Christmas.  Nonetheless, when he won the auction, I sent the items express mail so they would arrive for Christmas.  When I get home from my international trip, I have a notice from eBay that the buyer reported both cameras as broken in shipping.  eBay refunded all of the sellers money including shipping.  I never received the items back from the seller, nor did eBay require the items to be returned.  This included extra charges, discs, etc.  So not only did I get ripped off fro the merchandise, I lost all the money, and buyer lesft the only negative feedback I have ever received.  Just today my wife told me to stop selling on eBay because they are ripping sellers off and using PayPal to do it. There are even places online telling buyers how to use eBay policies to rip off sellers.  In my case, and I've sold over $28000 with eBay, it will be better to dontae my items or put them on Craigslist where I can meet the buyer F2F. 

Message 84 of 613
latest reply

Warning to all sellers. I get the most hateful buyers wanting a refund and keeping my plus size clothes right after Valentine's Day. I think its because no one wanted them on Valentine's Day and they are mad and want to get back at the world.

Message 85 of 613
latest reply

Yes, similar happened to me. I am a seller since 2006, and have 100% feedback. I sold an aluminum cylinder head (about 35lbs) for 69 bucks. It was a 300 head, but slightly used. No biggie, just moving product. All was well until the buyer messages me that item came damaged. He filed a case for a full refund. His pictures showed a few cooling fins were slightly bent. (They bend back easily). Long story short, he said he'd send it back if I refunded. I didn't want the hassle, or bad feedback, so I gave him full refund plus shipping (as he whined about having to ship it back). He never sent it back. eBay said they kept messaging him. Nothing. I kept asking him where it was, kept getting excuses: "I'm packing it really well", and "can I send you $30 keep the head and have it fixed for difference?" I kept saying, NO return the head as you originally requested in your filed complaint. He never did. And he left me NEUTRAL feedback! So the buyer gets the money, item, and slams my reputation. Buyers are able to get away with murder. I guess it's because the buyers are the ones with the money; gotta protect the cash feed. I'm just disappointed that the policies make it so easy for the buyers to game the system. Oh and get this: the buyer is actually a seller of car parts. Go figure.
Message 86 of 613
latest reply

Apparently, selling some items as for parts/not working doesnt work.

I've sold a few items I've had claims on. The first one was a motherboard, which I said "as-is" in the listing, but listed it as used because I had it working before, but said I had no way to test it. This guy buys it and then sends me a message saying "this is bent, this fell off when I touched it with a screwdriver, I'm replacing the bent part myself." At this point, I refused to give him a refund because he had already tampered with my item and broken it! He files an eBay claim, eBay sides with him immediately. I had to fight for my money back.

Another item I sold was a laptop that was listed for parts/not working and as-is. I showed pictures and stuff and described it, what I thought the problem was, but said "I give no guarantees as I'm not 100% sure to what the problem is." Some guy buys it, then files an eBay claim, saying its not as described because its not working. Since I had it listed as not working, you think I'd get sided with? Nope. eBay sides with him and I had to fight for my money AGAIN, because he claimed it wasn't working. I had received the item back, and when I opened it, it had parts of the case covered in, what is best described as wet Cheeto dust. It was some orange substance that looked goopy and powdery, and it was wet.

Message 87 of 613
latest reply

what?

Message 88 of 613
latest reply

This isnt a service based industry, im not painting your house or wiring an outlet.  Its retail and in retail the buyer payers for insurance on an item if they want it insured after they buy it.

Message 89 of 613
latest reply

have ANY of you actually READ the rules here? 

Message 90 of 613
latest reply