cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trunk Full of Dolls Found

This creepy trunk full of dolls and doll parts was left by the previous owners of a house I recently bought. I know ZERO about dolls, but this trunk has me curious. Does anyone on this forum have any clues or histories.  Perhaps a collector can find some joy in them? Or use them in some way? They are clearly very old. I find the flamenco lady , but besides that I have little interest in keeping them.

The pictures show any unique markings or characteristics I could find. All of the eyes open and close, so they'll be staying in that trunk.

: IMG_1001.jpegIMG_1024.jpegIMG_1023.jpegIMG_1021.jpegJust hair. Clearly human.Just hair. Clearly human.IMG_1018.jpegIMG_1017.jpegIMG_1016.jpegIMG_1015.jpegIMG_1014.jpegIMG_1011.jpegIMG_1010.jpegIMG_1008.jpegI think this says "ALEX" or something?I think this says "ALEX" or something?IMG_1005.jpegIMG_1004.jpegIMG_1003.jpeg)

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

That is a very cool find! Those are antiques amd many are composition dolls. You should not have any problem selling them especially if you sell them by the lot! Very nice. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I hope that trunk has a lock on it!

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Great find! The ALEX mark is the makers' mark for Madame Alexander. The lot appears to all be composition dolls from the 1930s-40s. There are some condition issues but nothing horrible, and they are all very restorable. The ones in pieces just need to be restrung. It's also great to have some of the original clothes and shoes.

I see what appear to be makers' marks on a few of the dolls. You need to look for those marks on all of them. Sometimes they'll be on the head/neck, sometimes on the body. Researching the marks may lead you to the ID of some of the individual dolls. Compo dolls from this period are very collectible, so you should have no trouble selling them.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I agree with Kathiec, some of them are quite interesting, and finding the mark on the doll is essential to list them properly.   It is always difficult to identify or estimate the condition of a doll just looking at a picture.

The slim doll with a pink and "turquoise" trimming is called a Boudoir Doll, popular in the 1920.  I can not certify  it is authentic.

The Madame Alexander (last picture) seems in good condition and probably have it's original dress.

Selling them in a lot and "as is" is a good choice.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I wish I had your trunk of old dolls, lol. I love dolls, especially old one's.   I love researching things and finding hidden treasures like these. Old dolls do well but finding names/brands is work. Maybe use  google reverse picture image  lookup may be helpful to identify some? Instructions would be on google upon how to do this.   You could at least try out, as an experiment,  Auction one out as a test to see if any interest shows up.  Maybe someone else could provide more information with more replies to your post here. Good luck. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply