cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, September 22 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 1 of 75
latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

Re: Community Chat, September 22 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Good day.

Just a follow up question to one I asked here about a month ago and no answer yet.

Why is it that in jewelry some items you can pay for with AMEX and others you can't? 

An example is here where the Seller has 3 rings, nearly identical yet out of the 3 only one can be paid for with it? Item #'s 173567394046 (Yes), 173567375222 (Yes), & 143209424338 (No). 

Of course I want the 3rd one and can't buy it. Well I could if I attached my Visa linked to my band acct which

I will not do.

And it's a pain having to go 2 towns away to buy an eBay gift card to buy it (one of your US Reps told me not to buy one online and then try to buy it as they've had issues with those not working.)

It's not the Seller doing it, this has happened before and it's on eBay's end. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank you.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 46 of 75
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

When is eBay going to help with international sales? How can sellers ship inexpensive items if the least costly option is more than ten dollar?  How many sellers know that sending inexpensive lightweight items by First Class mail from the United States is prohibited by UPU rules. Does this rule apply to other countries like China? What about listing likely HS codes for each category in eBay help? The problem in the Stamps category is that items selling for less than fifty to one hundred dollars cannot be mailed or shipped at a reasonable cost. More expensive items are often risky to ship, even using various international flat services. eBay Global shipping is too risky. Why would anyone ship a unique or copyrighted item and risk losing the item if it cannot be delivered?

When will eBay start advocating and assisting sellers who are attempting to sell internationally?

@clarkphilatelics Hey there! We offer Global Shipping to help sellers not take those risks shipping internationally, but it sounds like that doesn't work for you. In cases where you're selling stamps or any collectables over $50 most buyers are willing to pay the shipping it costs. I'm open to any suggestions you may have, how would you like eBay to help advocate more with international sales? I'm happy to pass along your feedback! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 47 of 75
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

tyler@ebay What about an announcement? This is probably happening to a lot of sellers who don't even know it is happening....shouldn't they be alerted?  

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques - I don't control whether or not an Announcement is made (that call is made several steps above me). Typically they are reserved for situations with large reach and larger impact. I have made sure this is reported and the feedback around transparency is shared. Thanks! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 48 of 75
latest reply

The USPS cannot direct eBay to do anything.  While I can understand why eBay might want to duck & cover on this one...  someone needs to stand up for the customer.  It doesn't matter what Amazon does... nor what anyone else does.  It's wrong for anyone to limit legitimate use of the Media Mail option.

Message 49 of 75
latest reply

@saturdaystoys wrote:

Our ability to ship via Media Mail should depend only on the Media Mail qualifications for the item being listed... and should be completely disconnected from any limitation resulting from the CATEGORY we list in.  For eBay to block our ability to select Media Mail shipping... even though we configured the listing to allow for that option... is punative, frustrating and intrusive.  We acknowledge that we are obligated not to use Media Mail service if the item does not qualify... but that's between the seller and USPS... and eBay should have no authority to block an item otherwise qualified for Media Mail postage... regardless of the category where it is listed.

Well it only takes a few to ruin anything for the many:

To many complaints from folks misuse of such is the reason this was done.

Message 50 of 75
latest reply

I am having problems responding to buyer questions.   When I try to reply, I am getting the statement that the question is invalid or older than 90 days.     This happens immediately after getting the question.      Some places, I get an error message that access was denied.     The only way I could respond to a question today was by using sending an offer and using the comment section.      I did not want to send an offer but did want to answer the questions the prospective buyer asked.  

Message 51 of 75
latest reply

@saturdaystoys wrote:

The USPS cannot direct eBay to do anything.  While I can understand why eBay might want to duck & cover on this one...  someone needs to stand up for the customer.  It doesn't matter what Amazon does... nor what anyone else does.  It's wrong for anyone to limit legitimate use of the Media Mail option.

@saturdaystoys 

I don't know that to be true.  They negotiate rates that creates a contract between USPS and Ebay.  It is highly likely that the contract also has stipulations.  Further it is evidenced by other sites also doing this, not just Ebay.

The way to fix this issue is for them to fix / remove the blocks placed on certain categories / sub categories, which I posted about earlier in this thread.  See Post 5.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member
Message 52 of 75
latest reply

Also while these Sellers I've encountered this with are all in Managed Payments they also all list PayPal as a payment method.

Can I use Pay Pal to pay even tho the card linked on there is still my AMEX? I don't want to try and then find out I can't-thank you.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 53 of 75
latest reply

Final thought on this item...  If eBay is going to block use of the Media Mail option for any listing... this should occur when the item is LISTED... not when it has already been SOLD!!

Message 54 of 75
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

What happened to Sold items in the left panel of search? It is difficult enough to price one-of-a-kind collectibles. Inability to access recently sold listings seems like a giant step backwards. Search results pages remain difficult to use. Most filters are useless, especially when eBay predefined Item Specifics values are off kilter. Page navigation at the bottom is awkward, especially when searching for listings in the middle of search results. In addition to returning motorcycle parts, search for a stamp like Scott Catalog number 500 returns so many irrelevant results, that on-target results are difficult to find. If a search returns 40 pages of results with 200 items on each page, why is it do difficult to jump to page 19 or page 33? In some ways eBay search is superior to Amazon search because it does not so readily ignore dimensions or sizes, but results are not good, especially in the Stamps category, where a catalog number Item Specific is needed.

Why is eBay removing capabilities instead of working on better navigation and more professional Item Specifics and catalogs. Who can use crowd sourced eBay catalogs with randomly inferior pictures often questionable properties and attributes?

Hi @clarkphilatelics - it's still there on both PC and mobile app! On PC it gives me the option of 'Sold Items' under the header of 'Show Only'. Mobile app offers me the same option after I choose Filter>See More>Sold Items

Tyler,
eBay
Message 55 of 75
latest reply

@windhaze wrote:

Also while these Sellers I've encountered this with are all in Managed Payments they also all list PayPal as a payment method.

Can I use Pay Pal to pay even tho the card linked on there is still my AMEX? I don't want to try and then find out I can't-thank you.

@windhaze 

Buyers have the ability to still use PP as their form of payment, even when the seller is in MP.  MP does NOT affect buyers except that they get a couple added payment options.

Message 56 of 75
latest reply

Contrary to popular belief, the shipper is not the seller, it's eBay. When you buy that label from eBay, they have to go to Pitney Bowes to get it before passing it on to you. And Pitney Bowes has to go to the USPS to get it to pass on to eBay.

And the USPS, as the carrier, has every right to place restrictions on the resellers of their products.

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 57 of 75
latest reply

@saturdaystoys wrote:

Final thought on this item...  If eBay is going to block use of the Media Mail option for any listing... this should occur when the item is LISTED... not when it has already been SOLD!!

@saturdaystoys 

That would be up to the Seller to know about these changes but unfortunately Ebay isn't as transparent as they should be about these types of changes we are held responsible for.  All too often we just stumble across them.  No announcement and no explanation.  Sad but true.

Message 58 of 75
latest reply

@bland233 wrote:

I am having problems responding to buyer questions.   When I try to reply, I am getting the statement that the question is invalid or older than 90 days.     This happens immediately after getting the question.      Some places, I get an error message that access was denied.     The only way I could respond to a question today was by using sending an offer and using the comment section.      I did not want to send an offer but did want to answer the questions the prospective buyer asked.  

It appears that the Actions option for "Respond to questions" is currently fully broken as you described. The workaround that I use is to go into the Messages area, where the buyer's question can also be found, and reply to it there.

Message 59 of 75
latest reply

But can you still use AMEX via PayPal to pay? The US Rep didn't know and I didn't want to chance it-thanks.

Message 60 of 75
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: