cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage Japanese Kimono...Need Help

Hi. I'm completely in the dark here. Can anyone tell me what I've got and how old it is? I'm pretty sure it's Japanese. I know it's silk. Is it painted? It's hard to tell...the design is not raised but I have seen "painted" garments where the paint is not raised. It's completely hand sewn...all seams...everything...hand sewn. Thanks so much for any help you can give me!!001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Vintage Japanese Kimono...Need Help

It's a very pretty kimono. Drangonflies are VERY popular right now 🙂 First, all kimonos are hand-sewn. If they are fully lined (and most are), the stitching is invisible. Once I attempted to repair an antique haori: a seam had come loose. I worked and RE-worked my stiches,  and I still couldn't make them fine enough! A Kimono really is  a work of art. I've looked very closely at your photos. Because this one is not lined, it was probably made for summer: lightweight for summer temperatures. Kimonos are as regimented as many things in Japanese culture are, and there is a category of summer kimono. Only you could determine if the fabric is silk, but it does appear so. It is not hand-painted or even hand-blocked. This fabric was bought already printed, off the bolt and made into this lovely kimono. There is a "pattern repeat" which is what you would find in manufactured patterned fabric.  One more thing: the images used in kimono decoration, the motifs, are also traditional. I have never seen dragonflies used. I've looked at thousands of kimonos and obis and have never seen dragonflies yuzen dyed or woven into the design. That is another reason that I believe the silk came off the bolt as it is. I would think that this is a newer garment. How did you acquire it? That would help determine its age. Just ONE more thing: I've always found the Japanese sellers on eBay to be very helpful and friendly when I've written to them to ask technical questions. And there are some on-line sellers who are happy to share their knowledge. IF you submit photos to them, hang the kimono and take good photos in bright , even lighting,  be sure to show the interior seams to show construction, and some close ups would be helpful too. Thanks for sharing your beautiful garment. Good luck with your kimono collecting!

Message 2 of 2
latest reply