cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone hazard a guess?

I don't know anything about this piece. Only markings I could find was a name "Libbie" engraved on one side. The bowl is maybe bronze and the feet are dark, do not polish. Time period? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Anyone hazard a guess?

Compote server (?) with (obviously) glass dish missing. For dining or buffet table.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Anyone hazard a guess?

I've handled silver plated pieces like this in the past.  The two that I've seen were from the late 19th century and very early 20th century.  They both had leaded crystal bowls that would fit into them with beautiful crystal lids.  You have to look very carefully at the bottom of the piece where the disk holds the three feet together for a mark.  The name "Libbie" on the side is probably the name of the family that originally owned it.  When they have their crystal bowls in place, they are truly beautiful center pieces to adorn your dining room table.  The value is depended upon the maker, and the condition of the silver.  If there's silver loss, it depends on how much and how badly pitted he loss areas are.  Good luck to you!!!

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Anyone hazard a guess?

Thank you for this. I'm confused why everyone thinks this is a silver plated piece. I can't find any hint of silver on it. The bottom is a dark metal that does not respond to polish. It is heavy, perhaps zinc? The top has gold or brass color to it. The only mark? I can find is on one of the legs and appears to be a tiny numeral 17. I think this must have been given as a gift and the Libbie is a woman's name or family name.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Anyone hazard a guess?

Ok with a little bit of toothpaste, found a tiny WMF on bottom so this is from Germany end of 1800's.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply