cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

has anyone heard of an oversize 1895 indian penny .. it's the size of a nickel

hi .. i have been collecting for many years.. i recently bought some coins at a coin auction .. in one of the boxes was an 1895 indian head penny marked "king size indian" this is not the 3 inch coin .. it is oversize from normal and i can fit a wheat penny into it and still see the entire rim and all the rim design around the entire coin .. it is the size of a nickel ..

any help on this would be great .. i've tried to google it but can't find anything

thanks ray

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I've been collecting awhile also but I have never heard of one but that doesn't mean there isn't one???
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

HI animater ... i took a couple pictures of the coin .. what do you think the larger coin is thinner than the regular size... could it have been a very early error coin struck on a nickel planchet ..

thanks for your reply .. Picture 001.jpgPicture 002.jpgPicture 003.jpg

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

hi animater9 ... sorry if you get two replies .. i'm new to using the forums .. i wanted to make sure i reply as you were nice enough to .. kind of an interesting coin .. its also in very nice shape with diamonds showing ...

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Ya know well like I said I don't think there ever was one and looking at the pictures I would still say there never was one. It looks good but the planchet doesn't look right. I would think someone just made it, but PLEASE don't take my word for it. Are you a member of the collectors society (NGC) ? IT FREE and you can ask some of those people that specialize in Indian cents. I'm not trying to blow you off but it doesn't look right to me but I don't do a lot of cent except lg ones so I don't want to tell you it isn't and it turn out to be of that it is and it turn out not to be. I apologize for not being any better help
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Ya know well like I said I don't think there ever was one and looking at the pictures I would still say there never was one. It looks good but the planchet doesn't look right. I would think someone just made it, but PLEASE don't take my word for it. Are you a member of the collectors society (NGC) ? IT FREE and you can ask some of those people that specialize in Indian cents. I'm not trying to blow you off but it doesn't look right to me but I don't do a lot of cent except lg ones so I don't want to tell you it isn't and it turn out to be of that it is and it turn out not to be. I apologize for not being any better help. PLEse let me know what you find out. I would like to know one way or the other. David
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

hi david... everything i learn i take in .. seems like a lot of work to make a penny just bigger than normal ... one of the other posts listed an error site .. i'm going to try and send them pictures to see what they say ... i will keep you posted...

thank you

ray

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

hi david ... i contacted an error coin site  ... http://www.error-ref.com/ .. they were very nice and the person told me it's what they call a broadstruck coin ... the coin weights exactly 3.1 grams as it should .... and he said they know of no counterfit 1895 indian pennies ... pretty cool and it's in nice shape .. also pretty rare ...

i guess there are still some neat finds out there ......

thanks for all your help also and i wanted to update you on the coin as you asked

v8bb

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

GREAT! as I've said I don't do pennies but I have heard of broadstruck coins but never thought much about it? Don't know why LOL. I'm going to have to look better in to it. Thanks I OWE YOU ONE. Keep in touch my13axles@yahoo.com if you want. If you are looking for anything maybe we can do some trading? Have a good day. David
Message 9 of 9
latest reply