cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth it to save copper pennies?

Been wondering this lately.

I have about $175 saved that I have been slowly picking out of circulation. But is it worth it? I know they are worth about 2 cents each, but could copper go down and then all of my had work hand-searching through rolls be wasted?

Should I sell them on eBay and get rid of them or should I hold on to them? Will prices keep rising?

Do you think that the penny and nickel will be eliminated soon?

It has definitely been really fun searching through copper pennies. I found a Chinese 1 Jaio coin the other day as well as a 1989 penny with a HUGE cud that I value to be worth around $40. Lots of wheaties and Canadians too.

https://bio.link/langs
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

hi how long did it take you to get that many pennys ??/ as the cost of living has gone over the years  .so my guess lost money even at 2 cents .just like all the collecters of silver ect have lost 66% of their money because the price has drop big time .

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@fforce wrote:

hi how long did it take you to get that many pennys ??/ as the cost of living has gone over the years  .so my guess lost money even at 2 cents .just like all the collecters of silver ect have lost 66% of their money because the price has drop big time .

I have been saving them for a few years.

I get a box of $25 in pennies once a week.

https://bio.link/langs
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

their is also a cost of going to the bank and going through them  .how much is your time worth in life .if you look at it as profit my guess its  big time loser .even your eyes take a beating .and a cost down the road. only if you find rare coins would have a chance to break even .Wally

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I've been saving them for a long time too, but I've divided them up between pre and post 1940. I might have a few thousand of the pres.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

6 Abril 2018:  Hola Coins:  Are you having fun searching through rolls of centavos?

That could be a key factor in your 'search'.   As for copper values, just like all other commodities, the price of copper goes up and it goes down.   If you have a large batch and the price of copper is high then perhaps 'sell' would be the word!

For your info:  5 Abril 2018 spot price for copper was $3.07 per pound.

This info is from the Wall Street Journal newspaper of 6 Abril 2018 Page B-8 under column heading 'CASH PRICES'.

So, figure out how many copper Cent pieces = 1 pound and you can determine whether the project is worth the effort.  Also add in 'fun time' as a benefit.

Regardos.  

Message 6 of 6
latest reply