cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Economics of Trading Cards - Can it be an investment or just a hobby?

In lieu of the most recent USPS postage rate increase (fair and expected), I started wonder about the Trading Card Industry (Sport and Non-Sport) and wondered if is worth the investment. Alternatives that come to mind would be investing in Art, or common financial markets. 

The fundamental question I am asking is: "that does the value of trading cards appreciate (go up in value) enough over time to see it as an investment opportunity?"

Some things that come to mind:

• Inflation: Does the value increase exceed the rate of inflation?
  • Scarcity: Does the marketing principal of Scarcity (value going up due to less of something) drive value when companies can "re-print" cards? Do "Graded Cards" address this by only talking about "Low Population" cards?
  • Demand: Its clear that the value of cards went up (and down) with the pandemic beginning in 2020. Is demand artificial and will I wake up one day and everything is worth nothing?
  • Goods and Services: Shipping supplies certainly have gone up, and when you measure how much time is spent - your "Hourly Rate" becomes quite frightening. 
  • Marketplace: Most marketplaces charge high fees, but give you access to larger audiences. 

(PS - I view "selling" as a way to fund a hobby)

Message 1 of 1
latest reply
0 REPLIES 0