cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help identify this unusual vintage baby doll - Thank you!

Approximately 14" plastic, vinyl?, you can squish the head, but not the arms & legs. May be unmarked or possible very faint circle mark on neck, need magnifying glass or zoomed photo to see it. She has unusual half closed eyes with molded plastic eyelids with blue painted eyes. She is very floppy. Hoping the blue floral print body will be a good clue. baby face.jpgbaby front.jpgbaby neck.jpgFrom 1950s, 1960s or 1970s according to the lot I found her in.  Any info is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@rap17fun,

Since we cannot see the Mfr.'s mark/logo in your photo, it would probably be best for you to get a magnifying glass and try to read the marking. you may have to move the doll or your glass around until the light allows the ridges in the logo to shadow a bit so it can be read. Some times it is better to use ambient light rather than direct light to read Mfr. markings that do not stand out well in relief.

At the top of this board's page in the Blue Toys & Hobbies box to the left of the ebay ads, there is a search box All Content.  Try doing a search for Identifying vintage doll(s), Identify this doll, Identifying 14" doll etc. In many of the replies there are links to doll identification sites.  You should save/bookmark those sites to help you with identification. Try doing an online search for "vintage doll identification" and save some of those sites to help you identify the dolls you find at various sales.  Here is an address to one such site www.dollreference.com  bookmark it, for future reference.

It might also help if you learn how to do image look ups or reverse image look up.  You can search for How do I search images online using operating system(ex: windows 10 here) with browser name (ex; Firefox)

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@rap17fun,

Since we cannot see the Mfr.'s mark/logo in your photo, it would probably be best for you to get a magnifying glass and try to read the marking. you may have to move the doll or your glass around until the light allows the ridges in the logo to shadow a bit so it can be read. Some times it is better to use ambient light rather than direct light to read Mfr. markings that do not stand out well in relief.

At the top of this board's page in the Blue Toys & Hobbies box to the left of the ebay ads, there is a search box All Content.  Try doing a search for Identifying vintage doll(s), Identify this doll, Identifying 14" doll etc. In many of the replies there are links to doll identification sites.  You should save/bookmark those sites to help you with identification. Try doing an online search for "vintage doll identification" and save some of those sites to help you identify the dolls you find at various sales.  Here is an address to one such site www.dollreference.com  bookmark it, for future reference.

It might also help if you learn how to do image look ups or reverse image look up.  You can search for How do I search images online using operating system(ex: windows 10 here) with browser name (ex; Firefox)

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Thanks so much for your reply and the info!  I'm really not sure it is a doll ID mark on her neck at all, can't see it with the naked eye in normal light. I used a strong magnifying glass in all different light and all you can see is a very faint circle which may just be from the manufacturing, or a scratch in the pastic, or defect and not an ID at all, you can see it when you zoom in on the photo.  Anyway, she's adorable and interesting to me. There is just one other one like her I found online on Etsy listed as Vintage Baby Dear Look Alike 14", , same exact doll but with a different fabric print on her cloth body. I thought she would be easy to ID with those unusual eyelids & floral print body, but she is not. I really thought someone might recognize her from their childhood. I've spent a lot of time searching for her ID, and I will continue to check out all of your recommendations. I realize she may not be worth anything financially, but it's a hobby as well as selling on eBay, and I love to pass them along to someone who will love them even if it's only for a few dollars. It's always so much fun when a doll mystery is solved. Thanks again for your time! Sincerely, Rebekah

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Your doll appears to be a knock-off of a Vogue Baby Dear doll. Some versions of the Vogue Baby Dear dolls had those half-closed eyes, but the faces were much more detailed. In the 1960s if a doll was popular there were always cheaper knock-off versions. 

Here's some information on Vogue Baby Dear dolls:

https://www.worthpoint.com/dictionary/p/toys-dolls-games-puzzles/dolls--types/vogue-baby-dear-doll

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thanks kathiec! 

I'm happy to hear from you and I apprecite the info and link. I will presume she is a knock-off, as you suggest, and proceed to list her at a low price for somone to love. Much appreciated.  I always look forward to your comments for eBay Community.

Sincerely,

Rebekah

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Oops, sorry about that! I think I just hit the wrong button for Best Answer as I intended to choose kathiec's reply regarding Vogue Knock-offs as the Best Answer.  I need to be more careful next time. Although I do appreciate all responses. Hope it's not a problem for anyone about the wrong one selected. Thanks again!

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Oops, sorry about that! I think I just hit the wrong button for Best Answer as I intended to choose kathiec's reply regarding Vogue Knock-offs as the Best Answer.  I need to be more careful next time. Although I do appreciate all responses. Hope it's not a problem for anyone about the wrong one selected. Thanks again!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

She looks like the doll in the old golden books story of, baby dear. I have one similar but her eyes open and close. Mine is from the 60s. The back of her neck reads, sayco doll corp. Good luck.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for your reply and the information. She does look similar to Baby Dear, perhaps a Vogue knock off as some doll experts believe. I sold her very inexpensively to an eBay buyer a while back. It's always fun to learn about the old dolls I find. Sincerely, Rebekah

Message 9 of 9
latest reply