cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me ID this lead spaceman toy, please

Hi, a friend of mine says he has several of these. I'm guessing it's lead, and from the 1930's or 1940's. Looks like it was inspired by Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers, but is not a licensed toy from either franchise.

Anybody got any idea who made this, what it's called, and what year it was manufactured?

Thank you!

348432920_2295694957279972_4565644172413872110_n.jpg

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Oops, somebody is telling  me this is actually plastic, and made by Archer. Now I've got egg all over my face!

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Never mind. Archer plastic space man from the 1950's confirmed.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@poppyland,

You are right about the figure being an Archer spaceman one.  It may have come from one of three sets introduced in 1952-3, that had hand held accessory weapons and other pieces. That's why there is a groove in the hands. The sets were,  Men of Mars, The Moon Men, and The Satellite Men. 

If the figure you have is made of Hard plastic, It could be from the Men Of Mars or The Space Men - Rocket Ship play set and the figure would have had a detachable clear plastic helmet. If it is made of soft plastic/vinyl, which Archer advertised as "duroplas" it is from The Satellite Men set, which was a remolding/renaming of the hard plastic Men Of Mars set, circa 1953. It would have had an interchangeable weapon and a Space scope, First aid kit, Space dust,  Radio, Geiger counter and Ammo case, "Astro-Pac" accessories. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 4
latest reply