cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know the character of this figurine? Is it from Alice in Wonderland or something else?

Looking for any information about this figurine.  What character is it?  Is it considered porcelain or bisque or something else?  Any idea about the artist or age?  Thanks so much!

5B3B62EA-0656-4A06-A6B3-BE2B0E7FC676.jpeg343CD8D9-E41C-4B9A-8ECE-EA02519DA3F7.jpeg6EE78F69-16A8-4934-AD5E-7A5855DC85FC.jpeg735C6B3D-44A3-4028-A112-314E43CF96A0.jpeg4445F0F6-AA95-46CB-B29E-BD38C6BB3F30.jpeg

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Does anyone know the character of this figurine? Is it from Alice in Wonderland or something else?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Check out the German company Schafer & Vater. They did a lot of little novelty items. I think your piece is an individual ashtray or match holder.  1920s or earlier would be my guess. I think he's a generic figure vs a specific character.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Great!  Thank you so much!!!

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It looks  a little like the Carpenter from The Walrus and the Carpenter. But not much and the red mouth doesn jibe with the poem,images.jpg

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for your research!

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Hi, is there a maker's mark stamped on the bottom of his feet? And what's he holding - a fish?

I don't know about everybody else, but I find that little man terrifying tbh.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@popblox,

That is a duck the figure is holding.  Good advice about looking for a maker's mark or Mfr's name on the base though.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

No maker's mark 😞

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Yes, a little freaky but somehow funny too.  I guess it was a toothpick holder based on my research.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply