cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shiping rate tables

I went to use the shipping rate tables once more hoping that maybe by now eBay would have figured out that the tables are pretty much useless, since everything that it offers is already available on the page that you make you listing with.

If they were smarter they would leave us use that page for domestic shipping zones! not the useless way they have it now, they aren't offering anything that's already available, Why even bother having it?

All I want to do is have 1 or 2 services but have the prices posted for zones, meaning if you live in my home town you will pay $X.xx, 1 state away will pay $XX.xx, and so on only they will be broken into 8 zones, (for those of us who have zone 7 and 8 deliveries) I realize there are some locations that will never encounter zone 7 or 8 if shipping within the lower 48 states. Places like Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Wyoming, North Texas, Illinios (basically arount the center of the country has optimal positioning for cheapest shipping rates). They may not have a need to vary their shipping cost much but for us on the East or West coasts this is a huge difference in overal cost when I'm shippingto a zone 1 or a zone 8. But when i use Calculated shipping I have only 2 options, showing the store rates which are absolutely outrageously high and I will never make a sale, or show the ebay rates which don't include the hidden surcharges nor do they add on for my 15^ fee i will be paying on that amount buyers are paying.

So if I choose the ebay rates, I automatically will be loosing $4 on each order that does not have a bussiness address for Fed-Ex shipping Plus the extra 15% on my fees I pay, most shippjng costs are between $20-$45 on my items wich ends up an extra $3-$6 in fees+$3 surcharge= a loss of $6-$9 per sale. Often that's my profit margine, plus I'm paying for supplies and time as well but those are also lost.

If I select a flat rate I have no options to offer a selected price plan for any sales, meaning the zone 1 buyer pays the same as zone 8 so i have to price my shipping all at zone 8 costs! This is not a good way to make sales! Why can't I use those rate tables to make up my own estimated costs per zone? This way I might be able to make more sales to buyers who are closer to me and I will end up paying less fees as well. It just makes no sense to charge 1 shipping cost when my prices for shipping can vary from zone 1 ($15) to zone 8($50), plus if I were to give a refund of the difference, I will still be charged fees on the entire amount, so i'm forced to short change my buyers by 15% for no reason other than I will have to pey it if they don't. EBay does not refund my fees unless the order is fully refunded, no partial refunds are acknowledged.

Am I the only 1 who thinks that the rate tables are useless and they could be used in a much more useful way if only they were geared towards domestic shipping? I remember the 1st time I went to set them up thinking that they were going to solve this problem, that was 8 years ago, I just checked again and saw that there has been no change to the structure and I really can't even believe that nobody else has seen this as a big issue that needs to be addressed?!?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Shiping rate tables

One more thing i forgot to point out was how the tables have all the countries listed and most of those shipping costs do not even vary between countries, or they only vary $2-$5, but domestic rates vary up to $35! so why are those tables even there? that tiny difference in cost is not even worth worrying about when I'm facing huge differences right in my own country!?
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Shiping rate tables

zinda2010 wrote: ...If they were smarter they would leave us use that page for domestic shipping zones! not the useless way they have it now ... All I want to do is have 1 or 2 services but have the prices posted for zones, meaning if you live in my home town you will pay $X.xx, 1 state away will pay $XX.xx, and so on only they will be bro, they aren't offering anything that's already available, Why even bother having it? ken into 8 zones...

Good news!  The Spring Seller Update promised that "coming this summer" we'll have exactly the option that you desribed: seller-defined zones with seller-specified prices.

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2017spring/shipping-tools.html#m22_tb_a1__11

Meanwhile, many of us who ship via USPS use the shipping calculator and leave it set to show the retail price (which is the default) so that when we ship using eBay labels, the online discount becomes an automatic handling fee that's roughly proportional to the shipping cost, to  help pay for the associated fees.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Shiping rate tables

I just went through all of my listings and checked out the prices for Fed-Ex using the calculated cost at store rates and the ebay rates I found the difference to be over 48%! Store rates were $66 and ebay rates were $34, but if I choose the ebay rates I will end up loosing around $10 due to the hidden surcharge and the ebay fee paid on shipping, i have tried to find a weight and box size reduction that would make the prices proportional and end up around where i would like them to be. I found it was impossible to work with a single reduced weight and or box size that works across all 3 zones shown in the calculator. I could get the NY cost to be corrected but then my Los Angeles cost was well below what i would be paying. If i got the Los Angeles corrected then my NY was back up way too high, There seems to be a certain size and weight that will register as 1 fixed rate for a large number of sizes once the weight hits a certain amount, and also once the box size is at a certain size then the weight makes very little difference until it is quite a bit more. Only when the weight is reduced significantly does the price change. For a 25Lb box the price remains the same when the size is between 24"x24"x10" down to 12"x12"x8" (approximately), then when the box is 24"x24"x10" the price will not change for weights between 25Lbs and 15Lbs. So working with a corrected size and weight proved to be unusable with this type of pricing. The correction differences had to be far too drastic to be able to work in proportion for all zones. I tried combinations of all types of weights and sizes but it always came out disproportional.

It will great to finally have a real pricing for all buyers. I know I lose a lot of near by buyers due to the posted shipping prices being so high, plus, the less I have to charge for shipping the less fees I pay and hopefully more sales as well.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply