Did you mean: 

What's It Like To Be An Ebay Seller?

Your thoughts?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

It's all peaches and cream.  There is so much money coming in that I have an armored truck stop at my place twice a day to haul it all off.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Welcome to our group you got me laughing when reading your postings.

Lots of people think the way you posted. 

We have been up all night counting money we made here but darn we lost count....Man Very Happy

Please help get the word around about our new group.

Todays Chat:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Todays-Chat/gp-p/TodaysChat

Wishing you well

DWB

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I enjoy being an EBay Seller.  At this time, my activity mostly consists of emptying my closets in anticipation of a move, so my items tend to be of many different types, meaning I'm not selling only quilting-related items right now.  Maybe this is why I've noticed my rate of sales is very low, about 5-10%    Has anyone else noticed this happening, is it just the time of year?  Or am I pricing incorrectly?  Brutally honest opinions welcome!

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

re: quiltingu

Many of my friends are ebay sellers. They are all complaining about sales being slow. Wonder if its cause of that problem they had with needing us to all change passwords. Lots of negative press about it too. May be scaring people off. May be the time of year too. Nice weather keeps people from hanging around inside. Specially after such a brutal winter. Good luck with your sales.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

you have to go with the flow and change up often just like a brick and mortar store...cheers

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

whotoidya how are you making any money on mostly 99 cent items with 65 cents shipping??? e-bay fee's are 15 cent and pay pal fees are 43 cents thats =68 cents so that leaves you 97 cents that does not even pay for your timethat it takes to list and pack  add in high speed internet for a month,  lights , drop off at the post office each trip 5.00 for a short trip .packing stuff, repairs and the cost of the item ??? i lose money on most orders under 50.00 or make so little it does not pay for my time .bring back the good old days when you could sell orders in the 1,000's with no problem.even sold one for over 14,000.00 and many in the 3,000.00 to 12,000.00 range .now a days lucky to sell a 50.00 lot their are just not many lookers and a lot less buyers .on a lerge lot i use to get 600 looks with a ton of bidders .sld one 3,000.00 lot had 30 lookers and only 1 bidder so i lost 600.00 on that lot. the small seller is done on e-bay to many fee's and no bidders

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@fforce wrote:

whotoidya how are you making any money on mostly 99 cent items with 65 cents shipping??? e-bay fee's are 15 cent and pay pal fees are 43 cents thats =68 cents so that leaves you 97 cents that does not even pay for your timethat it takes to list and pack  add in high speed internet for a month,  lights , drop off at the post office each trip 5.00 for a short trip .packing stuff, repairs and the cost of the item ??? i lose money on most orders under 50.00 or make so little it does not pay for my time .bring back the good old days when you could sell orders in the 1,000's with no problem.even sold one for over 14,000.00 and many in the 3,000.00 to 12,000.00 range .now a days lucky to sell a 50.00 lot their are just not many lookers and a lot less buyers .on a lerge lot i use to get 600 looks with a ton of bidders .sld one 3,000.00 lot had 30 lookers and only 1 bidder so i lost 600.00 on that lot. the small seller is done on e-bay to many fee's and no bidders

Hello fforce  I did a few crazy low .99 cent auctions and that was what it was crazy.  I lost my rear but I only do low bids on cheaper stuff.    I do not do free shipping unless the open is 80 dollars or higher.

on smalls you need to bundle them like on "pickers" to make the auction worthwhile.

I do not mind paying paypal 4 % because that eleminates bad checks and I can take any form of credit card.  Lil ol me.. Ebay's 9% was still cheaper then the 20% at the antique mall I used to sell at, and now I can work at home at any hour.  I am making money and have had a few non payers but overall no problems  I do not want a ebay store, that will lose money and do not care about power seller goals  adios and Good Luck

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

goldjammer69 here are the real facks don't have a clue what the real cost is .its just all the fee's .your cost is like mine between 30% and 45% .high speed inter net cost 45.00 a month then you got lights ,post office run 5.00 each time packing stuff ,repairs when you add all this up YES IT GETS TO THE 30% TO 45% then you got the time to do each order buy it then put on e-bay then pack then take to the post office it comes to about 1 hour per order .i am int0 stamps so its even a lot more time when doing large collections break downs .i just done 10,000 stamps and that took of a month and e-bay is the lowest place in the world to sell .you have to buy the stuff at 30% of your sell price to make money and now a days in stamps you can't find them that cheap .years ago you could and sell large lots and make good bucks and your time was a lot less  and fee's were less then 2% and no pay pal .e-bay is one big time loser today . i have a large stock of mounts that are their are not many around and they only sell on e-bay so i am stuck for a while and the biggest problem their are not many buyers any more .the sellers get them with their 99 cent lots and they have many who watch them and i have seen many of their lots sell  way over what i have them listed for .so E-BAY IS FOR THE LARGE SELLER ONLY . the best deal i every made was i bought a lot on e-bay for 11.00 and sold it for 1,250.00 today you can't find those deals.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@fforce wrote:

goldjammer69 here are the real facks don't have a clue what the real cost is .its just all the fee's .your cost is like mine between 30% and 45% .high speed inter net cost 45.00 a month then you got lights ,post office run 5.00 each time packing stuff ,repairs when you add all this up YES IT GETS TO THE 30% TO 45% then you got the time to do each order buy it then put on e-bay then pack then take to the post office it comes to about 1 hour per order .i am int0 stamps so its even a lot more time when doing large collections break downs .i just done 10,000 stamps and that took of a month and e-bay is the lowest place in the world to sell .you have to buy the stuff at 30% of your sell price to make money and now a days in stamps you can't find them that cheap .years ago you could and sell large lots and make good bucks and your time was a lot less  and fee's were less then 2% and no pay pal .e-bay is one big time loser today . i have a large stock of mounts that are their are not many around and they only sell on e-bay so i am stuck for a while and the biggest problem their are not many buyers any more .the sellers get them with their 99 cent lots and they have many who watch them and i have seen many of their lots sell  way over what i have them listed for .so E-BAY IS FOR THE LARGE SELLER ONLY . the best deal i every made was i bought a lot on e-bay for 11.00 and sold it for 1,250.00 today you can't find those deals.

Yes my sales do not always reach expectations, but I always say you can not hit a homer everytime at bat.  You could print your labels from home but that is even more fess.  I do not figure in high speed internet or lights as I would be using them anyway.  I buy my shipping supplies at Sam's, recycle what I can and hope i hit it out of the park once in while like you did on that one sale fforce.  That is what keeps me going.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

make sure you use excellent photos.  I really think free shipping does help.  Make your starting price higher to cover the shipping

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Re goldjammer : make sure you use excellent photos.  I really think free shipping does help.  Make your starting price higher to cover the shipping _____________________________________________________________________________________________

You are so right............the photos really help sell the product. And covering your shipping cost is important also.

Getting the product out the door on time is a big plus too....

Stay warm........is it snowing where you are?

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

hi whot, we have been lucky here with the weather but are expecting an inch or two of that nasty white stuff tonight.  Your sales look good, I would say you "have it down".  cheers

Gold

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Just happened to stop by to see what's going on.

You write some good things in here goldjammer.

They are offering a new 4 month special if you get an Ebay store. $5.95 a month for 4 months.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Hello friends, I just wanted to report that my lovely wife and main photgrapher for my listings for 32 years, has passed.

I hope all of you are doing well as you can and wish you peace love and joy in your lives .  Be Strong and reach for the stars.   Your friend always, Goldjammer

Message 15 of 16
latest reply