cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buyers always right?

Has anyone else sold a brand new item in box with factory plastic and had a buyer return the item after opening because it wasn't as described? EBay decided in the favor of a buyer after a couple hours and basically now I get an opened and used item returned to me that more than likely isn't even the item I shipped.

Has anyone else had this happen and if so is there some way to appeal it? I am at a loss. Even major stores don't take returns on headphones. And she said the color was different from the box.

I think she had a pair of headphones she didn't like the color of, bought mine, changed them out and is now getting a refund from eBay. This new buyers are right no matter what is retarded. And to beat it all the buyer has 4 feedback. What to do?
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

buyers always right?

At this point you are suspicious and making up scenarios.

Worst case scenarios.

Wait until you have the item back.

If it has indeed been switched, phone Paypal and explain the problem.

Remember that factories make mistakes too. There may have been the wrong colour in the box.

Although the customer should, as a courtesy if nothing else, contacted you first.

I'm surprised that PP did not require the return be proven before refunding. Re-read the notification. Was the buyer instructed to return the item before* the payment would actually be refunded?

If so, wait for the return.

Sometimes, even often, if it is a case of Buyer's Remorse, the buyer will decide that it is better to live with the purchase than to pay for the Confirmed return.

And yes, you will make less on a returned item. But if it is still NIB, although unwrapped, you can redo the pictures to show what is actually being sold. Some buyers prefer that to a stock photo from a catalogue. You may get a slightly lower price and you remain out the shipping cost, but you should at the least be able to cover your costs.

Not every sale will be smooth or profitable. It's business. Stuff happens.

* If the money is refunded before the item is shown to be returned, there would be no reason for the buyer to make the return. So I doubt she has her money back yet.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

buyers always right?

It did instruct her to return the item. But the buyer has made me suspicious of them. They said the description was wrong and that wasn't the case, then said the box was tore and the plastic as well. When I shipped it I made sure there was no way to damage that box Then she said that it was the wrong color and thought someone hadopened it and changed it on my end. As I know that isn't right then all that I have left is suspicion. Just doesn't seem right but I will ended wait to see what is sent.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

buyers always right?

Omg! Your story spunds SO familiar! Oh yeah. We have had returns of used intimate item RETURNS in the past and we can't sell those. E bay gave them full refunds out if OUR pocket. Yes. It's happened. That's really the risk involved and yes, it's going to happen from time to time. There is , for whatever reason these days, a larger sense of entitlement among seemingly ..... Maybe my husband is way off base here , but he states that he believes unless we hack the prices up ( and we ARE now) as opposed to being nice and offering clothes that normally cost a lot for way below retail for people who would normally not be able to afford these types of alternative fashions, we choose not to attract the kind of buyer who DOES NOT BUY. It has been a problem as of the last sux months to a year . Here is one of the red flag things that MAY tell you that a buyer might not be on the "up and up": they ask question after question after question, even though you, the seller, have been careful NOT to leave anything out if the listing- I.e. Measurements, type of material, how much stretch give the dress or whatever has, etc. In more cases than not, your next message from said 'buyer' will be a batter offer, and a bad one, at that. Ok. I tell you: When we keep getting all these questions and low ball offers and wheedling? We yank the listing and list it later. Saves a lot of bad or scammy buyer issues and list money.
Kitty's Jewelry - Etc.
Alt. Fashion 4 Less.
Google us!
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

buyers always right?

I hope you also put those oddballs on your Blocked Buyer List.

Mmmm. Given your product line, I wonder if some of those questions are coming because the questioner is ...... enjoying the experience (?) .

OP - Too many questions and shifting stories are definitly red flags on a transaction. Best to request a return for full refund before this all escalates. Easier on the ulcer.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

buyers always right?

Oh. I'm sorry. I think I did not mention that the all the "obvious answer" questions and awful bartering happens PRIOR to any bids or sales.
OP - Too many questions and shifting stories are definitly red flags on a transaction. Best to request a return for full refund before this all escalates. Easier on the ulcer.

Oh yes, you are so right. As far as those kinds of people "enjoying" doing like that? Yes. I am sure that "comes with the territory". However, my wife and I (this is John answering this now...) find these types way too much work that what we sell our products for. Thus, we'll just pull the listing PROVIDED it was a free listing to begin with for us. If it was not, then she or I just stop answering and possibly file a complaint if warranted.
Kitty's Jewelry - Etc.
Alt. Fashion 4 Less.
Google us!
Message 6 of 6
latest reply