cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returns:

Hey,

So I had my first returns situation this week. There were two instances. The first one had no reason for the return, just a message from the buyer asking for a return address, I gave it to her, but I haven't heard anything back and have not received the package. I'm thinking she may have changed her mind, because it was a pretty heavy item, and return shipping would be costly. My seller account shows no returns. How does ebay know about returns? Are buyers supposed to document that will ebay?

My second return was for something that I stated in my description was not working properly. The guy didn't read it I guess. Anyway, I just refunded his money with paypal, and told him not to send it back (It was pretty cheap, and I felt bad that he didn't understand he was buying something that was not working). Should I document this with ebay, or just let it go? Just curious because there is a returns tab on my dashboard, so I know they are supposed to be involved in some way. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Returns:

Don't worry about the first one, except to reply very politely to any contact. The return shipping was not meant to be a discouragement to return-happy buyers, but it is a helpful unintended consequence.

For the second, you can ask the customer for a Mutual Cancellation. Tell him that he does not have to do anything because it will close itself and free both of you from any consequences. Both of you can leave feedback. If he says he wants to, ask him not to mention the refund- it encourages scammers.

The Mutual gets you your FVF back.

Whether you accepts RETURNS  or not, keep in mind that if you accept Paypal, you give refunds, returned or no. In my opinion, and I have thousands of opinions, refusing returns turns off good buyers and doesn't stop bad ones. Since the customer has to pay for the return (and I have opinions about that too) these will be infrequent.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Returns:

BTW- did you know that you are signed up for the Global Shipping Program?

A lot of new sellers were last year and it has caused all sorts of problems for them and for foreign customers.

Your items are well under the $50 minimum eBay recommends for using the program.

For example, if a Canadian like me bought that Express shirt for $19.61US, she would pay a further $23.49US in import charges under the program. Nearly $45 CDN.

It could be send by USPS First Class International with Delivery Confirmation for much less. And the chances* are that there would be no customs, no sales tax and no service charge on such a low value item.

*It's one of our little quirks. although our import limit is $20 , our government officials decided to ignore the rules, since it would cost them more to enforce under $100 items than would be gained by doing so. But that does not apply to commercial shippers. Only postal shipments.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Returns:

No, I'm not familiar with the global shipping program. You say I am signed up? I'll look into that, I really appreciate the tip. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Returns:

reallynicestamps: I'm just sharing my personal experience. I sent a 1st class item to Canada about a month ago. Interesting he 1st class is up to some odd pounds when shipping there!? Weird. In States it's 13 oz or less. Anyway...I asked for tracking & the postal worker told me it as mot an option, which of course made me nervous...but turned out fine. If you're signed into the GSP you can just turn it off. Canadians pay an arm & a leg when they use. it. Any Country does, I just sold a weather balloon to France.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Returns:

Wow, crazy. Where do I find the option to get out of the GSP?

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Returns:

Yes, i sell women's clothing and some jewelry. The prices are pretty low. Anyway, I had to call EBay customer services due to another buyer trying to return a corset that they wore and were trying to return after they wore it. My husband and I are a very small home business and we really can't accept used intimate items like that, especially when the buyer states that "well, I only needed it for one night...." Okay, whatever. Anyway, the c.s.r. I spoke with told me that I should be opted int the 'hassle free returns' they have. Okay, I did. She stated it would avoid these kinds of issues in the future and that it would help my seller rating. Well, I have been reading up on what "hassle free" returns entail. From what I gather, it sounds like someone could return things for ANY reason. Usually, with past returns, the item comes back with seams all blown out like someone was too heavy to fit into it. I take real good care to post accurate measurements. It seems (I could be dead wrong here) that with the um... Style of clothing we sell (sexy alternative fashions) , people tend to shop for the bodies they want,... Not the bodies they have. So, was I wrong to opt into that Hassle Free return thing? I do not wish to do No Returns because then (as I was told by the CSR) EBay would be less likely to "advertise" our products in search results or something. Hmmmm. We try really hard to please picky buyers by disclosing everything we can concerning product details. We only accept Pay Pal as payment, as per advised by EBay over the telephone. In wondering what kind of 'bill of goods' EBay is pushing onto small sellers. Do they really wish to benefit the seller or themselves?
Kitty's Jewelry - Etc.
Alt. Fashion 4 Less.
Google us!
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Returns:

Remember that the customer service clerks are working for eBay, and probably have never sold anything. Ever. Including girl guide cookies.

I'm lucky because my products are not a problem if returned (books, postcards, dress patterns) and my demographic (SF fans, philatelists, seamstresses) tend to be readers.

Your mileage, obviously, differs.

I agree that No Returns is not a good selling tactic.You lose good but nervous customers and in any case if you accept Paypal, you give refunds.

I agree that No Hassle Returns would be disastrous, given your demographic-- and I hang out with a lot of geek girls and cosplayers. (I am on the executive committee for an SF con here in Ottawa CAN-CON 2014). I'm also buddies with the Browncoat Burlesque troupe-a group of amateur nerd* strippers who prove that any size can be sexy.

Did you know that you can charge a Restocking Charge for a returned purchase? You have to have this in your Terms of Sale.

Are you adding a small amount to every asking or shipping price to insure yourself against these specious returns? You'll sometimes see this called Cookie Jar Insurance. You put a few pennies or quarters into a virtual Cookie Jar with every sale. When one goes pear-shaped you cover your losses from the Cookie Jar.

How often are you getting returns?

If it is one in ten sales, there may be a problem with your listings. This is a silly suggestion, perhaps, but if the big girls are being delusional about fit, how about just plain lying about what your garments will fit. Especially in the plus sizes?

It's an old tactic. For example, DD normally wears a Size 10 pant. She recently bought a pair of Lululemons in the Vancouver flagship store. Perfect fit.-- and marked SIZE FREAKING TWO!!

Which means I would fit a LLL Size 14 or so. (Okay, still delusional).

If your corsets fit a 46" waist, isn't that a 42 to 46? Or a 46 to 50? Call it the smallest. Then if the customer has a 46 inch waist and wishes it was 42, she can buy the Size 42 that fits up to the 46".

You know how the measurements go better than I, of course.

I'm also going to assume that a lot of your product is Chinese made. The Chinese cannot believe how big we Westerners get and tend to cut small. Another reason for adjusting size names.

*NSFW -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLxEdH9OSHA Unfortunately this is not the one where she works down from a Star Wars desert warrior with mount to pasties and back to bathrobe and bunny slippers.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Returns:

Coolness. No, we do not get all these bad returns all that much since my husband put on a twenty percent restocking fee. Usually, we don't put size numbers on there only as "sizes are different so any size is for reference only...please view the measurements prior to order...) rough references since one has to put some kind of size there. Mostly, yes, these are the Asian 'one size' outfits and yes, those run small. Since our plus sizes are mostly sold out by the time they get to our over-stock...which we sell on e bay. Mainly, our most popular and best selling items sell from our main web store which isn't EBay. It's another third party called RebelsMarket. Most of out stuff sells there first and if there are any items left from a booth sale or jewelry show event, they go up on e bay. Only one or rare times, two plus sized corsets would be on eBay. Most of our plus sizes sell out no problem. Sometimes suppliers send all these wrong items. So, instead of sending them back, they go up on EBay. They're brand new, so no sense paying all this money to send them back. My latest concern is this buyer purchased a pirate wench sexy costume and after she received it, sent us an eBay message claiming it was used. We know it wasn't but one can't answer like that. My husband did inspect the item prior to shipment. It was new, yes. I am thinking we probably had it folded up in storage for awhile. However, it was never used,no. Looked good. I very graciously assured this buyer the item was new, never worn. I did mention that we do have items in storage so creases would be there. However, if she was not happy with the item, we do accept returns. She replied (wow) "well, that would be fine if I was like you and had a resale store!" I didn't know what I could say to that. I just let it go and replied that I was very sorry and what can we do so she would be happy. She never replied as if yet and it's been about three weeks. Uh oh. Yeah. I am afraid of negative feedback here. See, we have a lot if kitty cats and we must keep all of our merchandise separate in the basement in plastic bins or on garment racks. The basement is very clean. So I really do not know exactly what issue this buyer had. I hope I am not being dumb here. I really am kind of lost on her last communication. I'd have no issue just accepting the return. Strange.
Kitty's Jewelry - Etc.
Alt. Fashion 4 Less.
Google us!
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Returns:

@gothicsteam
I hate to say this but its been my experience (ebay or otherwise) that some people dont even realize what they are unhappy about and project it on a purchase. Maybe it was for a date that cancelled or when she got it she realized she wouldnt look good in it, the bottomline is you responded courteously and professionally, with her satisfaction as the primary goal. Her remark about having a retail store really makes little sense, if she had a store it would be actionable to return the item for a refund?
Huh?!! In any case, Ive found when one is completely open to whatever the customer wants to satisfy them and they respond negatively or not at all then their problem isnt truly what they are saying anyways.
There isnt anything more you could have offered so dont lose any sleep over it.
It is possible you could receive a negative feedback but cross that bridge if it happens. Dont for a second think its your fault if you do, some people are simply just that way regardless of how you dealt with them.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Returns:

I agree sometimes people don't know what they are unhappy about and it can make no difference how kind and professional you are , you can end up with a negative regardless ....most of the time kindness is all that is needed. I have the hassle free returns, usually it works well, most people are honest, some are not and I end up paying for return shipping, I'm lucky in that my items are light weight so the charge is minimal. ..but I do report buyers who abuse in this way.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply