cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*** eBay Users Stamp Club *** Meeting 17-19 August: " Allegories on stamps."

Please join us on this thread for our monthly meeting which runs from Friday August 17th until midnight Sunday 19th in whatever part of the world you are in.

The topic will be “Allegories on stamps..”

(Borrowing from the Allegories on Stamps Facebook group description...)

The appeal of the Allegories to represent a country has always given rise to some beautiful imagery of god-like, virginal, serene images.

In the postal world these have been done by some of the best engravers of the 19th and 20th centuries. Their detail is a thing of beauty to those that 'look' at stamps.

Here is your opportunity to post stamps with an allegory, and if you can't explain it someone else will help you out. Those in the balcony will enjoy your images, even if they don't understand the meaning of some of the allegories.

- - - - - -- -

Anne will be showing allegories on Egyptian stamps.

I will be showing allegories on Congo Republic stamps

Guest servers of balcony food will be allegorical figures.

The workshop area will have old covers and stamps to look through, so you can find your own allegories.

See you there!

eUSC co-presidents (Anne in NJ, Sheryll in OR)

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Hi Sheryl,

Helvetia is the allagorical woman representing Switzerland after the Cantons came together in 1850 to form Switzerland. The first three definitive series were of this figure. The imperforate Strubels 1854-1861, the perforated Sitting Helvetia 1963-1882, and the Standing Helvetia 1882 - 1908.

This page is of the second series, perforated Sitting Helvetia. It's from a short exhibit I made fo rmy club show last year.sh1.jpg

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

There can be found many double transfers on this series.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Hi David,

What you actually see are examples where the paper went through the embossing press, then through the printing press reversed. What shows most significantly are the corner value numerals where the ink sort of messes up the number.

I found this example on Philasearch.v304.jpg

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Nevis has been known for its therapeutic stream and baths since early times.  The Seal of Nevis consists in part of an allegorical scene of a river nymph offering water from the stream to a sick female and her companion, and was incorporated into the first stamps of Nevis instead of the usual Queen's head.  A set of the first issue is shown below.

Nevis1.jpg

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Ceres was often an allegorical figure representing, most simply, agriculture.  Though she might more accurately be the representative figure for the "common people" who might care most about day to day life that required working with the land and nature.  She is often portrayed showing something that represents successful harvests and is usually also shown as more of a "mother figure" as she was also a goddess of fertility (in all senses of the word).

stateagroomscircular.jpg

Ceres appeared on French stamps in the 1850's and 1870's during the republic periods as well.  Below is a return address item from  J Monnier Seed Catalogue from the 1870's.  I like the combination of Ceres allegory stamp with something related to growing.

FranceBureaudePassePage.jpg

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Freedom Triumphant in War and Peace

Best regards,

dkru

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Britannia Rules the Waves

best regards,

dkru

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Sorry, would have responded sooner, working on moving.

This is not what I was referring to, yes I realize your copied example would appear to be a double transfer if you do not know what a double transfer is.

Quite obvious this is not a double transfer, which can easily been seen as what you pointed out!

But you did point out an interesting variety, good show.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

From The Swiss Philatelist - 1966

"DIES AND PRINTING CLICHES

Riess engraved the original die in soft steel, omitting the figures of value. This was intaglio engraved, that is, the colourless embossed parts of the design were cut into the die and the colour portions left at the original surface of the die block. After hardening this die, it was used to lay down a die in relief, and after hardening, the latter was used to produce nine intaglio dies on which Riess engraved the figures of value. With these after hardening, nine dies in relief were made and with these, 400 brass printing cliches were stamped out for each value."

I'm not sure at which point one would get a double transfer using this process to print stamps.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Thanks, all, for posting.

bwi, you always come up with a perfect post for meetings.

Thanks also to our regular posters and it was good to hear from dkru as well.

Due to time constraints and scanner idiosyncracies, nopt to mention general lack of kmowledge on the allegories on my stamps, I didn't get around to posting.

I will close the meeting now, and next month's meeting will be September 14-16, topic will be Play It Again, Stamp.

The idea is to find and post a Youtube music clip related in some way to the stamp (or postmark, cover, etc) you post. If Peter comes on, he'll know as I stole the idea from the Thematic Group on Facebook. If someone could put up an example, great!

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Roger—

Isn’t embossing the last step?  I’ve worked in print shops that produced embossed images, and the image was always printed first, then embossed.  It’s tough enough to get a smooth, consistent print on flat paper—embossed paper would multiply the difficulties immensely.

1.  Print first, emboss later:  If the registration is off a little, no big deal

2.  Emboss first, print later:  If the registration is off a little the sides of all the embossments will show smeared or clotted ink.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Sorry to be so late to the party…

Here is an allegory of Victory parading with the flags of the Allies of World War I, issued in 1919.

alleg.jpg

Message 13 of 13
latest reply