cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone know what to call this color?

I have not run across this color variety before, anyone know?

Thank you

Perry

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

the one on the right is the one I am talking about.

It's almost brown....

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

The ink appears to be "sulphuretted".  This is typical of orange inks of the 19th Century (such as the 4-cent Indian Hunting Buffalo Trans-Mississippi series) but it can also happen with other colors.  Compounds in the ink absorb sulphur from the air or from contact with something such as paper or cardboard or leather containing sulphur.

To test whether this is the problem, dip the stamp in a dilute solution of hydrogen peroxide (1 part drug-store strength HS to 3 parts water).  It will not hurt the stamp and if sulphur is the culprit the ink will return to its normal color.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Hiya Jim,  Yep that's probaly what's going on here.  Looks like a Carmine shade that has turned.  I've seen Red stamps turn deep Brown from the problem you mention.  Most early Orange U.S. stamps are prone to suffering from sulphurization.   The 1898 Trans Miss 4 center does seem to be the one that is most prone to this.  A couple weeks ago I picked up an 1890 90 cent Perry with this problem.  I was attracted to it because it looks like a bi-color.  I never planned on doing the hydrogen peroxide trick to it as I like it the way it is as a curiousity.   

1-229bicolor.jpg

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Hiya Mitch!

How's the house?

BTW, whatever happened to The Big Noise From <s>Winnetka</s> Chicago?

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Haven't the money or energy to finish the house.   Arthritis pretty much put me in a place where a couple hours of work with my hands makes me suffer for days afterwards.  Luckily it doesn't bother me working on stamps and that's where all the extra money goes.  I've been adding key stamps weekly so the collection is looking better than ever.  Except for a couple countries my Western Europe is up to 99% complete for regular issues.  Also been working  alot on U.S. both for my collection and stock to sell.   In the last couple months I've picked up an unused #1 and an unused 121 as well as a 144 and the illusive 261A to name a few, all for pennies on the dollar.   Other than working on stamps I haven't been doing any thing else except trying to keep warm.  Hopefully I'll get out of this chair this spring and get somethings scratched off my overwhelming "to do" list.

Couldn't care less about that dude, a nightmare I don't need.

Today I added one of the 9 stamps I need to complete my Austria regular issues through my stop date of 1986.  It's the stamp at left in the pic below.  It replaces the forgery (stamp at right) that's been sitting in that space.  Buyer had a reserve on the stamp that I couldn't handle.  I put in a snipe of half the reserve and to my surprise he dropped the reserve and I got it.

Hope you're doing well in whatever your doin......................................

1-144a.jpg

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

There is a lake shade of this stamp that approximates what I am seeing in the scan. But, can't really tell for sure from the scan if it is that or a color changeling.
Rob
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Not the same issue, but this might help a little.

Rob

319.jpg

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Thank you Jay, I will try this. In all my years of stamp collecting (over 25 now) I have never seen a stamp do this, That's why it was so weird for me.

I learned something new today, see, you can teach an old dog new tricks 🙂

Perry

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

this free program will give color in hexadecimal ...

http://www.colorschemer.com/colorpix_info.php

Security machin collector ... http://gbmachex.blogspot.ca
Message 10 of 10
latest reply