cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stamp book evaluations

If I posted individual pages of this book, not a crazy mess of items, would anyone be willing to point me in the right direction in terms of what to save and what to toss? Or sell? I know monetary evals are not given, as it should be, but I simply have so many, have visited the Scotts lists but it really would take me an absurd amount of time to wade through what I have....when most likely you as a group could identify quickly with a glance. The book has a few per page, a dozen or so pages, and I have a dozen or so clear plastic insert pages brimming with items, as well as a few cloth bags full, I can present them in an orderly fashion if someone wants to lend a hand. I realize many are penny items, and will not be put out when told as much, I am coming to you ...Thank You for your consideration. I also need an ident on these singles if you would....

IMG_3550.JPGIMG_3549.JPG

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Stamp book evaluations

Seeing individual pages would help, especially pages from showing older stamps from countries like the US, France, Japan and Germany. But I'm afraid that albums like this one, probably used by a child, almost never have anything of real value, although it most likely brought someone a great deal of pleasure.

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Stamp book evaluations

Excellent! I believe this particular collection was started in the 50's by a military relative that travelled extensively, many examples from embassy's abroad, some on original air mail packets. Is there more value in a cancelled stamp with the date/origin attached? Many originated in Washington DC, diplomatic envelopes, he had simply torn out that entire area of hundreds of mailings, I think in an effort to date, and they simply never reached the book...the plastic pocketed sheets have really protected the examples, far better than the book, all on hinges in book. I know from collecting over the years condition is everything, I guess we'll see.  Thank you for your response. I will get to it!

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Stamp book evaluations

Generally modern (1940s to date) stamps torn off envelopes aren't worth much. Having a torn piece of envelope with the date on it doesn't add anything to any value there might be. Without seeing scans of the pages that I mentioned earlier, the best thing would be to toss all the stamps and pieces into one lot and start it at a few dollars.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

Stamp book evaluations

Diplomatic envelopes complete, maybe some value, depending. Stamps torn off them, even with the cancel showing, very unlikely.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Stamp book evaluations

Thank You for responding, yes there are many mid century items, Cuba and such, 75% have been carefully detached and booked, separated and protected...It can't hurt to post a few pages at a time though I think, I have a good track record for finding a value or two in large collections, took weeks sorting a baseball card collection, 95% common, the other 5% off to PSA grading. I understand regardless of the age or style some items have very little monetary value. I appreciate all of your wisdom as I embark on this collection. ( and please try not to laugh TOO hard at times...lol...)

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

Stamp book evaluations

I definitely agree with Thines and Sayassan's evaluations of what you have!  In addition, you will probably have a hard time selling your Cuba material on ebay at this time.

The two stamps you have scanned are not listed in the Scott's Standard Postage Catalogue(Amos Publishing) since they currently don't meet Scott's criteria for listing them.  They are fron Aden(Mahra State)  They are Michel(Catalogue Published in Germany)  from left to right in your scan numbers 58A and 59A CTO(cancelled-to-order).  They were issued in 1967 and generally sell for a penny or less in today's philatelic market.  I have hundreds of these!

I hope this answers the rest of your question.

Good Luck!!

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

Stamp book evaluations

Thank you,and luck is one thing I seem to have in abundance, I'm currently posting on the book board about a 1890  numbered copy ,..one of only 250 printed for the states,  Dickens Christmas Carol manuscript facsimile, very rare, that I bought in a box lot of books for 2.00. A Jeter tear out card that I got in a game day book, in only a PSA 3 state, sold for 175.00, and it goes on and on...bizarre finds at church sales like my 1979 rookie Wayne G, that is currently off being graded, that was used as a bookmark, and the book was in the free bin. Hit the NY lottery only once though, minor win, go figure...

I will try not to bore you all too much with my photos, but if something jumps out I hope you will let me know...I'll give you a great deal on it...just kidding...well, no...            Regards, V76

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

Stamp book evaluations

A few random plastic pages, in no particular order.IMG_3558.JPGIMG_3561.JPGIMG_3563.JPGIMG_3564.JPGIMG_3562.JPGIMG_3559.JPGIMG_3557.JPG

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Stamp book evaluations

A few book pagesIMG_3566.JPGIMG_3568.JPGIMG_3570.JPGIMG_3572.JPGIMG_3574.JPGIMG_3576.JPGIMG_3575.JPGIMG_3573.JPGIMG_3571.JPGIMG_3569.JPGIMG_3567.JPGIMG_3565.JPG

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

Stamp book evaluations

Hard to imagine that these pages were selected at random since the stamps are all Russian and from the same general period. Further, it's obvious that NONE of these stamps came off any envelope. They are all what collectors call "cancelled to order". That means that the cancel was printed on the stamp and the stamp was never actually used. Such stamps still have gum on the back. Russia, and many other countries, sold cancelled to order stamps at much below face value to stamp dealers. They have almost no value.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

Stamp book evaluations

BookIMG_3579.JPGIMG_3581.JPGIMG_3584.JPGIMG_3586.JPGIMG_3589.JPGIMG_3588.JPGIMG_3585.JPGIMG_3582.JPGIMG_3580.JPGIMG_3578.JPG

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

Stamp book evaluations

The USSR had a great industry in the production of postage stamps.  They made the effort for many years to produce stunningly beautiful issues, and as a result many people collected them, so there are jillions of them in collections around the world.  Unfortunately, as with anything that plentiful the value is very low.  You might check the Stamps>USSR category on eBay to see what collections like yours are going for. 

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

Stamp book evaluations

These are what I expected from the actual album. Extremely common used stamps.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Stamp book evaluations

And a few I grabbed out of one of the many packetsIMG_3592.JPGIMG_3594.JPGIMG_3593.JPGIMG_3591.JPG

Message 15 of 28
latest reply