cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any help appreciated on unusual postmarked Worlds fair envelope

Hi

I have an unusual 
Worlds Fair 1939-40 railroad envelope that was postmarked at the 1965 Worlds Fair could anyone help me with value?IMG_3207[18635].JPG

IMG_3207[18635].JPG

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Less than $1.00.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Millions of commemorative covers are made for world's fairs as well as thousands upon thousands of other events.  They were meant to be saved as mementos, and they were, so millions are still out there, coming to light when perhaps the person who saved it all those years ago dies.  The fact that your cover was made for one world's fair but postmarked at a later one does not make it distinctive. 

There are currently 90,000 event covers for sale on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/b/US-Event-Stamp-Covers/139772/bn_2311465

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Definitely could be found in a dealer's postal history $1 box.  We have many of these type cancels as well as 50,000 pictorial cancels all of which have been donated to the Postmark Collectors Club Postal Museum in Bellevue, OH.  If I'm asked to evaluate a similar type collection for a museum donor it would be in the $1 range for similar items.  Hope this helps.

Gary Hendren, Curator

PMCC Museum

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Yes, as the others have stated it's something for a dealers $1 cover box. Collectors of Worlds Fair material will be looking for examples of the cachet used at the correct fair, as will collectors of trains. It does make a fun conversation starter though.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply