cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake paypal payment scam

Someone attempted to scam me on a sale today. I received emails from "paypal" that linked back to an aol.com address and the money never showed up in eBay or PayPal.

The emails said I would need to send the item before the funds would be released. SCAM!

The emails was also FULL of typos so that's a dead giveaway. Scammers are smart, but they're still lazy uneducated pieces of garbage and that trips them up every time.
Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Fake paypal payment scam

Thank you for this!! This exact thing happened to me right now and i was looking to make sure if it was fake or not. The “buyer” keeps emailing me and saying that they sent the payment; how do i deal with this?

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

Fake paypal payment scam

I just went through the same thing they said they wanted to buy my bag then I recieved a email in my spam saying the money was recieved from the seller he offered 400 for the bag plus 300 for an Ebay card that he wanted me to purchase and send him an image of the card then my funds will be released immediately he proceeded to text me but everytime I checked ebay or paypal it just keeps saying unpaid item 

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

Fake paypal payment scam

Happened to me also.

I called paypal to double check and they assured me it was not their email.

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

Fake paypal payment scam

This just happened to me today. I'm glad I'm smart enough or Google eBay/ PayPal scam.

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

Fake paypal payment scam

i got an email and i want to now if its real plz someone help i send the package and it said it will take 2 days for my money to be in my paypal

Message 20 of 33
latest reply

Fake paypal payment scam

This just happened to me today also. Same thing with asking for a gift card. This time it was a $300 gift card for GameStop. They asked to send it and also asked for my PayPal email address. I kept looking for a confirmation of my payment and they told me to check my spam. When I did I had an email. The  email looks like it comes from PayPal but be careful because it’s not. I canceled the sale and blocked the number. I also keep checking my account and everything looks okay but just wanted all to know this is still happening and to be aware.

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

Fake paypal payment scam

eBay/PayPal Scam?

'Buyer' tries to get you to ship
without
payment showing
at either eBay or PayPal?
with an 'eBay' email?

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

Fake paypal payment scam

This is the exact same thing that happened to me, exact! So glad I didn’t fall for it! 

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

Fake paypal payment scam

What do they do with the email address? 

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

Fake paypal payment scam

You sure because , You did create a  email and phone number.

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

Fake paypal payment scam

Lol this is funny. I'm talking to these same people (or person) right now. I'm just gonna play along with them for the kick of it. But it's so weird that they even managed to send me a picture of the paypal confirmation that the money was sent. Grammatical errors in the "notification email" was a dead giveaway though. 

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

Fake paypal payment scam

I don't trust craigslist and decided to sell my item here and unfortunately forgot my old account and decided to make a new ebay. Person asked me to text them and then proceeded to ask for my PP email address, after they had asked that. i knew something was fishy. 

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

Fake paypal payment scam

Very similar thing happened to me. "Buyer" had just joined Ebay yesterday. Requested I purchase a $400 Ebay gift card and would pay me an additional $50 for time and trouble. Even sent a fake Paypal "Payment Received" email.  No funds in my Paypal account.

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

Fake paypal payment scam

Me too. 

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

Fake paypal payment scam

Something very similar happened to me today. I received a high bid on a pair of sunglasses I am selling, and the buyer asked me to reach out via text. When I did, he asked for my PayPal email. He or she then proceeded to ask me to send it to their "nieces" address and to provide a $400 gift card. Even asked me if I was okay with it! I tried to contact Ebay, got zero help from customer service, and am very concerned about hacking since they have my phone number/email. I am new to Ebay, which is probably why they chose me, but if anyone has an idea of what to do moving forward, please let me know. I wish I would have checked these forums before responding outside of Ebay, but it was a great lesson for me. A very obvious scam, and anyone reading this do not respond outside of Ebay Messages, a buyer can pay through an Ebay invoice and that's all they need to do.

Message 30 of 33
latest reply