cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Shipping Rates Up 27% TODAY.

I've been understanding in the previous US Postal rate increases, but this one is flat out DISGUSTING! 27% increase on 90% of what I ship and 14% on everything else! That's a minimum of 50 cents PER ITEM! Considering I ship 40 items a day, that's at least a $20 loss per day. Granted, I will roll that increase into my price, but disgusting. I went to UPS considering changing everything to them and they simply are not economical when most of my items weigh less than a pound. Any solutions out there that I am missing (besides stamps dot com and ebay shipping)?
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

The really bright spot is that you can ship 14,15, or 16 ounce packages first class for $3.55, $3.60, and $3.65 respectively.  Those weights used to have to be shipped at 1 pound Priority mail.  So you should save about $2.00 per package on those.

On the other hand, 1 to 8 ounces costs $2.60 each package; 9  ounces costs $3.30 with each ounce after that costing an additional 5 cents up through 16 ounces.  I haven't figured out the changes in heavier weights Priority mail yet.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Try&check with www.asendiausa.com

I do not know how the price chart is looking like in case of domestic shipments, but my fulfillment company from USA with I am cooperating annucent to me last time Asendia as a much more cost efective solution in case of international shipping, here is quote:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Most Cost-Effective International Ship Option Under 2 Pounds

Asendia is one of the world's top three international mail and distribution organizations. The new AIP service is comparable to USPS First Class International (FCI) in terms of transit times and tracking, and for packages weighing less than 2 lbs (0.90 kg), Asendia will be the most cost-effective international shipping option available. 

Below are two examples showing a cost comparison between AIP and FCI....
  • Destination: Canada          Ship Weight: 8 ounces (226 grams)
    • First Class International = $9.45
    • Asendia International Priority = $4.99
      • Savings with Asendia = $4.46
  • Destination: Rest of World          Ship Weight: 8 ounces (226 grams)
    • First Class International = $13.10 (average)
    • Asendia International Priority = $7.65
      • Savings with Asendia$5.45
Quick Facts about Asendia International Priority
  • AIP rates are conveniently broken down to just 2 regions: Canada & Rest of World
  • Tracking generally stops once the package arrives in its destination country
  • AIP has an average transit time of 6-9 days, and delivery can take up to 21 days
  • Package weight is limited to under 4.4 lbs (1.99 kg)
  • There is NO fuel surcharge with Asendia
  • The $1 customs document preparation fee does NOT apply with AIP

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Wonderful information. Thank you. Most of my items use to be shipped at $2.04, so I'll feel the pinch. I wrote ups and asked them for the lowest price on the books for within the 48 States ground under poiund, and they replied with the shipping calc. Tried it and looks like there is no way to compete with the flat rate $5.75.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I agree. Absolutely disgusting. 3oz package cost $2.60.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Here's what I am trying to sort out. I offer some stickers, patches and many other items that weigh less than 3 ounces AS WELL AS are not very expensive retail price. For eBay discounts, one of the measurements include a minimum use of delivery confirmation. That requires I ship items as mini-packages to have the delivery confirmation, thus $2.60 postage on an item I may be selling for $6.97. I could reduce the item by $1.50 on a $6.97 item if I shipped it in a standard letter envelope, but would end up with no tracking (also opens me up to dishonest buyers, though lower risk with the type of items I am selling). I've reduced my shipping materials expenses with a few ideas. I've reduced shipping weight through a couple ideas. I take advantage of the flat-rate priority envelope with some very clever packaging. I use a postage service stamps. and use to use endicia. to get the business discount and speed up the shipping process. Any more ideas of how to work through the excessive postage on items that weigh less than 4 ounces?
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

For eBay discounts, one of the measurements include a minimum use of delivery confirmation.

But are you being penny wise and pound foolish?

Yes, eBay encourages US sellers to use DC on everything, but if the cost of doing that :

• reduces the number of your sales , because of the high cost of shipping
  • increases your costs of because of fees on shipping and
  • increases your actual cost of shipping (covered by the buyer, but still)

then perhaps it is time to go commando, for the benefit of your bottom line.

I do note that you sell in a category where there is a high level of testosterone poisoning, while my customers tend to be more... contemplative, but I have found that I do better using Cookie Jar Insurance, rather than expensive tracking.

And I am in Canada where a paperback 2cm thick can be shipped domestically untracked for $1.20 (85c USD) but one 3 cm thick costs $12.00 with tracking.

Basically, Cookie Jar Insurance means adding a small amount to every asking or shipping price and putting those virtual pennies or dimes into a virtual Cookie Jar.

If you have a claim, you pay it out of the virtual Cookie Jar. (A little due diligence, but the claim never goes to eBay/Paypal for resolution.)

Most sellers using this system, rather than paying 3rd party insurance, find they make money on it. Just like a real insurance company.

It comes down to, how often do you actually need tracking? Is there a problem with your listings or packaging that leads to problems? Is there a problem with your customer base that makes them less than honest?

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Great suggestions. I have been self-insuring (cookie jar) for about 10 years (except when already included in Priority Mail or item has a significantly high value). As far as penny wise, if you do not meet the 90% tracking percentage, you lose your eBay 20% discount off of final value as well as the "Top Rated Plus" badge. I know when I am a buyer and I see two items within $1 price, I always select the Top Rated after I've glanced at their feedback. Stats on tracking can be seen at: https://sellerstandards.ebay.com/dashboard. Will have to do some number crunching. Side note. Your comment "testosterone poisoning, while my customers tend to be more... contemplative" is amusing. With my 10 years in the Marine Corps, current firefighter/emergency medical responder, and holding two PhDs, I never realized stamp collecting was so lofty. I hadn't noticed in my many, many times to British Colombia those fields were so grey matter deficient up there. 😉
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Nothing to do with intelligence, a lot to do with anger management and feelings of entitlement. This may particularly effect 'wannabes' who collect your memorabilia without actually having served. The 'stolen valour' types.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Wow. That's offensive and opinions about my buyers are irrelevant to this discussion.

@reallynicestamps wrote:
Nothing to do with intelligence, a lot to do with anger management and feelings of entitlement. This may particularly effect 'wannabes' who collect your memorabilia without actually having served. The 'stolen valour' types.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply